Trying to locate "Vester Grønkjær"

Startet af Lynn Christiansen, 24 Okt 2013 - 18:15

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lynn Christiansen

I have a reference to my 5th great grandfather Niels Ørgaards, that he was born about 1715 in "Vester Grønkjær, Thisted".

I have tried to locate this town and the closest that I find to "Grønskær" is 'Grønskær, Fole, Frøs, Haderslev' in Haderslev and not Thisted.

Is there such a location in Thisted? If so, which Sogn?

Any feedback will be appreciated....Thank you.
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

dorte frandsen

Hey Lynn!

Vester Grønkær is in Jannerup Sogn, Hundborg Herred, Thisted amt

Best regards Dorte Frandsen

Lynn Christiansen

Thank you for your help...

BTW: is there a simple way to locate small towns?

I tried using http://www.krabsen.dk/stednavnebase/  searching on "Vest% Gr%" with no success.

Again, thank you.

Lynn Christiansen

2nd Question: is there a farm named "Ørgaards" nearby?

dorte frandsen

Hello again!

There is a Ørgård in Nors sogn, Hillerslev herred, Thisted amt.

I often use the danish Wikipedia to locate small places.

Best regards Dorte

Lis Helleberg

Hi Lynn,

I have found some Ørgaard information. It does not correspond to the Grønkjær in Jannerup though it is not that far from the same area. Whether it is what you are looking for or not - well that's up to you. Here it comes.

In this leaflet about the new nature and wildlife area in Thy, look at page 3 and find Nors sø (the lake Nors). Just by the edge of the lake you find a farm by the name Ørgaard as well as a small wood.
http://www.naturstyrelsen.dk/NR/rdonlyres/25C8E3F8-B113-4788-8B16-7AB9F929EB64/0/51_Hanstholm_A4_300312_Web.pdf

In the church books for Nors (Thisted Amt, Hillerslev Herred, Nors sogn) you find (at page 87 - first entry for 1713, a Niels Ørgaards as a witness. On page 88 a son of Povel Ørgds (short for Ørgaards I believe) is named Christen.

So - there are Ørgaards to be found in this area though I did not find the birth of YOUR Niels. However, if you look at the pages before 87, you will see that Niels is a VERY popular name in this area.

Best regards
Lis
Area of interest: Thy, especially Vang, Thisted, Hillerslev, Hundborg

Jens Eg

Hi Lynn

Perhaps there are some connection for you here...you could try, and perhaps some other could translate it, if it is some of your roots,  try please

http://www.nordentoft.com/Familien/bernhard/aner/detaljer/d192.htm

It is some Oergaard from Nors

or  this too    wegeberg.dk/privat/peter/persons/person1877.html

or    Aner for Poul Nielsen Ørgaard

www.gravgaard-kristensen.dk/slaegt/18597.htm‎

or    www.djernaes.dk/cgi/famweb.pl?indi=I1894

regards
Jens Eg

Lynn Christiansen

Thank you everyone---I will have to take a look at all of the information that you have provided.

I do have a lot of relatives from the Thisted area...Again thank you....