Interpretation of Census information

Startet af Lynn Christiansen, 21 Feb 2011 - 19:30

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lynn Christiansen

In an 1840 Thisted Census search for Ellen Pedersdatter (age 10) I find the following:

Thisted, Hillerslev, Sennels, Sennels By, , 40, et Huus, 50-F3, FT-1840
Name:    Age:    Marital status:    Occupation in household:    Occupation:    Birth place:

Ane Pedersdatter Vandet, 52, Enke, Almisselem (Widow, Welfare Recipient, pensioner)
Kirsten Sørensdatter, 18, Ugift, hendes Datter (Single, her daughter)   
Ellen Pedersdatter, 10, Ugift, hendes Datters Børn (Single, her daughter's child ??)   
Mikkel Jensen Sund, 8, Ugift, hendes Datters Børn (Single, her daughter's child ??)   
Christine Pedersdatter, 24, Ugift,    Skrædderpige (Single, Occupation Meaning ??)

The Information in the (...) is my translation.

Can someone help me straighten out the relationships within this household?

From other sources (AO 1814-1838 Sennels Hillerslev Thisted opslag 61 page 72-#4) I have Ellen Pedersdatter born on 9 April 1830 and the daughter of Anne Cathrine Peitersdatter.

So depending on the meaning and relationships of this Census record I have the following question: Is this Ellen Pedersdatter my Ellen Pedersdatter?
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

Karen Graabæk Møller

Hi Lynn

I do believe you have the correct family, but some of the information is misleading - "her daughter's child" does not in Ellen's case refer to the daughter on the list - Kirsten - but to Ane Pedersdatter's other daughter Anne Cathrine.

I found the family in 1834 - Ane Pedersdatter's husbond is Peiter Mikkelsen, and they seem to be living on "social benefits" or as you translated it, welfare.

Thisted, Hillerslev, Sennels, Sennels Bye, et Huus, 36, FT-1834, C5909
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Peder Pedersen 48  Gift  Almisselem 
Anne Cathrine Sørensdatter 49  Gift  hans Kone, Almisselem 
Søren Christian Pedersen 13  Ugift  deres Børn, Almisselem 
Karen Pedersdatter 11  Ugift  deres Børn, Almisselem 
Christen Pedersen 9  Ugift  deres Børn, Almisselem 
Peiter Mikkelsen 63  Gift  Almisselem 
Anne Pedersdatter 46  Gift  hans Kone, Almisselem 
Kirsten Peitersdatter 12  Ugift  deres Børn, Almisselem 
Ellen Pedersdatter 4  Ugift  deres Børn, Almisselem

If you want to see the original entry for 1840 it is also on AO (1840, Landsogn, Thisted, Hillerslev, Sennels, opslag 6, the last 5 on the page. The occupation of Christine Pedersdatter is appr. dressmaker, seamstress.

Hope this helps.

Karen G. Møller