translation of sentence in fæstebrev

Startet af David Peterson, 19 Feb 2011 - 06:11

Forrige emne - Næste emne

David Peterson

I am trying to grasp the meaning of a sentence in an 1803 fæstebrev.
The husband has died (4.5 years previously). He was survived by his wife, but the farm and fæste are now being passed to his son.
I am trying to understand what obligation it may stipulate with regard to his mother.
I am working from another's transcription and I don't have access to the original, so it is possible that something is mis-spelled or transcribed incorrectly.

In one of the terms of the contract it requieres that he:

Holder sig den imellem ham og hans Moder om Gaardens Afstaaelse sluttede Forrening i alle Maader efterrettelig.

I understand that the phrase "Holder sig noget efterrettelig" means "complies with something", but I don't what that "something" is here in this sentence.  I believe that "i alle Maader" refers to the same phrase, in that he must "comply in all ways" or "comply completely".  I think I understand "Gaardens Afstaaelse" to mean "surrender of the farm" (meaning the passing of the farm from one person to the other?).  But what I really don't understand is "sluttede Forrening".  Of course, I understand the basic meaning of "sluttede" by itself, but I don't understand what it means in this sentence. And "Forrening" I don't believe is a correctly-spelled word, but I don't understand the possible variations either: forening, forretning of even forrentning?? So, I understand most individual words, but not all of them together. I have seen similar transcriptions on the internet, but they don't really help.  They may use alternate words like efterkommer, oprettede and contract....
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks.

David Peterson

Gitte Hovedskov

Hi David

Maybe this dictionary of old Danish will be of general help when you interpret old Danish documents.

http://ordnet.dk/ods/ordbog?query=forening

I think 'sluttede forening' here means 'agreement made', so that the sentence in plain English becomes:

He is required in every way to comply with the agreement made with his mother about the handover of the farm.

It would make sense that in the agreement there are some stipulations in favour of the mother, which the son is told to respect.

Gitte  :)

Poul-Erik Langvad

Hi David

I think there is a misspelling. Forrening should be forretning. This makes Gittes translation: He is required in every way to comply with the agreement made with his mother about the handover of the farm. good.

M.v.h. Poul-Erik

Nanna Mercer

Hi David,

Literal, albeit nonsense, translation of the Danish sentence below:

Holder sig den imellem ham og hans Moder om Gaardens Afstaaelse sluttede Forrening i alle Maader efterrettelig.

Holds the between him and his mother about the farm's final surrender agreement in all ways in compliance

Plain Legal English:

Complies in all ways with the agreement made between him and his mother about the assignment of the farm.

Kind regards,

Nanna