mads mathiasen

Startet af Marlon Henvit, 19 Feb 2011 - 01:03

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Marlon Henvit

This question refers back to a thread I started 5 July 2008, "research in Hostrup Parish."  I thought this thread had put to rest the  question of the father of my Mads Mathiasen, was it Mathias Mathiasen or Mathias Madsen. Now my latest question refers to a census record I have had for some time but obviously had not studied it carefully. It is from 1801, ribe, Skast, Hostrup, Kraunse Bye, source entry number B7784. This is the family of Mads Mathiasen and Mette Marie Hansdatter. Why do the children have the surname Madsen?

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA

Anette Korsgaard

Hello Marlon

I'm sure it's a "patronym" - mening that the surname is made from the firstname of the father. It was used untill the middel of the 1800's in Denmark.

As an example: We have Matthias Madsen. From that we know his fathers first name was Mads.

From your census you can also see that the mother Mette Marie had a father called Hans because her surname is Hansdatter.

If Matthias Madsen has children their surnames would be Matthiasen for boys and Matthiasdatter for girls (datter=daughter)
Mange hilsner
Anette Korsgaard
Hjemmeside:Anettes.dk
DIS medl. 9481

Ralph Rasmussen

The transition was a slow process.  In larger cities the rotation of names had ceased by the early eighteenth century. 

If memory serves from a thread in 'methods' the system of fixed family names was decreed around 1817, but was sometimes ignored as late as the 1870's by tradition minded families who could get the parish pastor to go along.

When you go digging for Mads Matthiasen you will be looking for a son Mads born to a Matthias 'N'.  Note that in the 1787 and 1801 censuses ages are recorded as the year entered into, not the years completed.

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Marlon Henvit

Thanks to both of you. I am embarrassed. I know better than this. My only excuse is that I started working on this after a hard day of other business. I was tired and caught up in this Madsen, Mathiasen thing and let my American idea of surnames take over. I apologize to all who read my post.

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA