Searching For Jorgensen relatives

Startet af Nancy Cloutier, 15 Feb 2011 - 05:16

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Nancy Cloutier

I am searching for living relatives of my grandfather that I hope are still living in Denmark. My grandfather, Jorgen Peder Jorgensen, came to America in 1888. My grandfather's parents were Niels Jorgensen and Ane Kathrine Christiansdatter. Niels Jorgensen born 3 August 1835 in Aborg (Aborre) in Gamtofte parish, son of Jorgen Nielsen and Karen Hansdatter. Niels Jorgensen was baptized 23 August 1835 at Gamtofte. Ane Kathrine Christiansdatter was born 3 Jan. 1840 in Voldbro (Volbroe) in Gamtofte parish, the daughter of Christian Pedersen and Birthe Larsdatter. Ane was baptized at Gamtofte on 19 Jan. 1840. Niels Jorgensen and Ane Kathrine Christiansdatter were married at the parish of Kaerum on 2 September 1865. Niels was living in Kaerum parish at the time of the marriage. Ane was living in Assens at the time of the marriage. 1850 census -- odense, Baag, Gamtofte, Aborre, et Huus, 8, FT-1850, C5039 Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstandden: Erhverv: Fodested: Anne Pedersen 65 Enke Aftaegtskone, Huusfaders Moder Her i Sognet (Gamtofte), Jorgen Nielsen 38 Gift Dagleier, Huusfader Her i Sognet (Gamtofte), Karen Hansen 38 Gift hans Kone Her i Sognet (Gamtofte), Niels Jorgensen 14 - deres Born Her i Sognet (Gamtofte), Hans Jorgensen 12 - deres Born Her i Sognet (Gamtofte), Peder Jorgensen 9 - deres Born Her i Sognet (Gamtofte), Anne Marie Jorgensen 6 - deres Born Her i Sognet (Gamtofte), Maren Jorgensen 2 - deres Born Her i Sognet (Gamtofte).  In the 1860 census there is another sister Anne and a brother Lars. When my great grandfather, Niels Jorgensen, died 3 October 1910 in Bixby, Steele county, Minnesota, USA, he had three living sisters in Denmark, Anne Marie, Maren and Anne Jorgensen. I want to make contact with the sisters descendants, but how do I do this ?

Tenna Weber Olsson

Hello Nancy
You can't be sure the family still lives the same parish / county, also 3 sisters - if they were married, they have got a new familyname.

To begin with you need to work with the info you might have in USA. Have you got letters from them that tells you names, adresses or photos with info?
When you know where the sisters lived - you can search for their death at Arkivalier Online, AO. Info here are available up to 1950 in a lot of parishes.
When you know some more about their families, you can search for tombstones (gravsted) a lot is on the internet. A living family can then be found through the church/parish.

You can also post an add in the local paper and you can look in the white pages (de hvide sider). Jørgensen is a very common name though.

First I/we need some more info on the sisters

Regards Tenna Olsson

Tenna Weber Olsson

Hello again

I have found the children on AO:
1826-1840 Gamtofte, Båg, Odense
1841-1870 Gamtofte, Båg, Odense

Jørgen Nielsen      born app. 1812 father
Karen Hansdatter born app. 1812 mother

Niels Jørgensen    born 3rd aug. 1835 Gamtofte #23 /no. 16
Hans Jørgensen    born 2nd sep. 1837 #28 /no.16
Peder Jørgensen   born 20th june 1841 #4 /no. 14
Anne Marie Jørgensdatter    born 17th june 1844 # 78  /no. 14
Maren Jørgensen   born 4th dec 1848 #85 / no. 14
Ane Jørgensen      born 24th dec. 1851 # 90 / no. 22
Lars Jørgensen     born  22nd feb. 1855 #30 / no. 1

So you have quite a few to choose from

regards
Tenna

Nancy Cloutier

Hello,  This is the information I have found on Niels Jorgensen and Karen Hansdatter children  from the 1880 census - Odense, Baag, Turup By, Et Hus - Anders Hansen 39 Gift, Husfader, Horfabrikant, Thurup Sogon, Odense Amt, Ane Marie Jorgensen 35 Gift, Hans Hustru, Gamtofte Sogn, Odense Amt, Karen Hansen 11 Ugift, Deres Barn, Thurup Sogn, Odense Amt, Hans Hansen 9, Ugift, Deres Barn, Gamtofte Sogn, Odense Amt, Jorgen Hansen 6 Ugift, Deres Barn, Thurup Sogn, Odense Amt, Juliane Hanse 3, Ugift, Deres Barn, Thurup Sogn, Odense, Marie Katrine Jorgensen 1, Ugift, Deres Pleiedatter, perhaps a foster child or a niece, Odense, Baag, Orsted By, Et, Hus -  Peder Jensen 31, Gift, Husfader, Inderste, Daglejer i Agerbruget, Maren Jorgensen 31, Gift, Hans Kone, Gamtofte Sogn, Odense Amt, Jacob Jensen 4, Ugift, Deres Barn, Orsted Sogn, Odense Amt, Karen Jensen 2, Ugift, Deres Barn, Orsted sogn, Odense Amt, Karen Marie Jensen under 1 Aar, Ugift, Deres Barn, Orsted sogn, Odense Amt, - Odense, Baag, Gamtofte, Aborre By, En Gaard, -   Ane Jorgensen 28, ugift Tjenestefolk, Do. (Gamtofte Sogn, Odense Amt), Tjenestefolk = servant,  -  Odense, Baag, Gamtofte, Lundager By, En Gaard, -  Lars Jorgensen 24, Ugift, Tjenestefolk, Do. (Gamtofte sogn, Odense Amt), Odense, Baag, Gamtofte, Aborre By, Et Hus,  - Peder Jorgensen 38 Gift, Husfader, Dagleier i Agerburg Gamtofte Sogn (Odense Amt), Ane Marie Rasmussen 45 Gift, Hans Hustru,  Barlose Sogn (Odense Amt), RamsusJorgensen 14 Ugift, Deres Son, Her i Sognet (Gamtofte Sogn, Odense Amt), Hans Christen Larsen 8 Ugift, Pleieborn, Do. (Gamtofte Sogn, Odense Amt), Karen Marie 1 Ugift, Pleieborn, Do. (Gamtofte Sogn, Odense Amt).  So I have found census information on five of the children, Anne Marie, Maren, Ane, Lars and Peder. Is it possible to find more information ?

Niels Bjøreng

Sorry, Nancy.

Your latest entry is almost impossible to read.

Venlig hilsen

Niels Bjøreng   9400

Nancy Cloutier

I am sorry, I didn't know how else to post my message, sorry.  I listed the five children with their spouse if they had one and their children and listed where they were living in 1880. I guess it is a mess, I wanted to underline the names but I didn't know how. I am having a very hard time searching for my Danish realitives in the Danish websites. Alot of the Danish websites are in Danish and I don't know what is being said. I need alot of help.

Tenna Weber Olsson

Hi Nancy

Ane and Lars were not married in 1880, and they don't live in Gamtofte in 1890, I have searched Odense County but I haven't been able to find them yet.
Turup parish (and others) is not listed in 1890 on DDD, so you have to look Anne Marie up in the census 1890 on AO http://www.sa.dk/ao/

When you have the parish where the 5 children lived you can look them up on AO and find their death
you also have names on their children now to continue your search.

From DDD Census 1890 I have found:

Odense, Baag, Gamtofte, Aborre By, Gamtofte sogn, hus, 8, FT-1890, B0628 Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Peder Jørgensen 48  Gift husfader daglejer ved landbrug do [Gamtofte, Odense Amt]
Ane Marie Rasmussen 53  Gift husmoder  Barløse, Odense Amt
Karen Marie Rasmussen 11  Ugift plejebarn  Gamtofte, Odense Amt
Jørgen Jørgensen 3  Ugift do [plejebarn]  Holevad, Odense Amt

Odense, Baag, Ørsted, Ørsted Sogn, , 104, FT-1890, C7116
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Peder Jensen 40  Gift Husfader Dagleier Ørsted Sogn Odense Amt
Maren Jørgensen 41  Gift Husmoder - Gamtofte Sogn Odense Amt
Karmarie [Karen Marie] Jakobsdatter 72  Enke Aftægtkone - Ørsted Sogn Odense Amt
Karen Jensen 12  Ugift Datter - Ørsted Sogn Odense Amt
Karen Marie Jensen 10  Ugift Datter - Ørsted Sogn Odense Amt
Ane Katrine Jensen 7  Ugift Datter - Ørsted Sogn Odense Amt
Jørgen Jensen 5  Ugift Søn - Ørsted Sogn Odense Amt
Lars Jensen 3  Ugift Søn - Ørsted Sogn Odense Amt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards Tenna

Nanna Mercer

Hi Nancy,

Here's the most incredible site for all genealogists: http://www.cyndislist.com/diction.htm

I am upgrading my German which btw is very poor, and there is help for people like you who have trouble with Danish. Have a look!

Good luck,

Nanna

Nanna Mercer

Here's more information on How To. This is from Family Search:

"Variant Forms of Words
To find and use specific types of Danish records, you will need to know some key words in Danish. This section gives key genealogical terms in English and the Danish words with the same or similar meanings.
For example, in the first column you will find the English word marriage. In the second column you will find Danish words with meanings such as marry, marriage, wedding, wedlock, unite, legitimate, joined, and other words used in Danish records to indicate marriage.

English    Danish
   banns    trolovede, trolovelse, forlovelse
   births    fødte, født
   burials    begravede, begravelse, jordet
   census    folketælling
   child    barn
   christenings    døpte, døbt, daab
   confirmations    konfirmerede
   deaths    døde, død
   father    fader, far
   female    kvindekjøn (køn), pige
   husband    mand, husbonde, husfader
   index    register
   male    mandkjøn (køn), drenge
   marriages    copulerede, vielse, ægteviede, bryllup
   military    militær
   mother    moder, mor
   moving in    tilgangsliste, inflytning
   moving out    avgangsliste, udflytning
   name, given    navne
   name, surname    efternavne
   parents    forældre
   parish    sogn
   vaccinations    vaccinerede
   wife    hustru, husmoder, kone, kvinde
   year    år, anno     

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/rg/frameset_rg.asp?Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry=&Guide=WLDanish.ASP

HTH,
Nanna

Gary Jacobson

I have found a family called Bendixen from Øster Hæsinge near Faaborg that is descended from the Jørgensens.  Here are the names:

Frederick Andreas Bendixen (born 14 Jan 1877) married Karen Jensen (born 27 Nov 1877).

1.  Hans Carl Albrecht Bendixen (born 30 Apr 1903 in Øster Hæsinge, Svendborg)
2.  Ingrid Elise Bendixen (born 18 May 1904 in Øster Hæsinge, Svendborg)

Karen Jensen was a daughter of Maren Jørgensdatter.
=====================================================
Here are some more Jørgensen relatives...

Lars Iver Hansen (son of Anne Maria Jørgensdatter). Married Agnes Kamilla Elisabeth Jørgensen.  They had these children:

August Peter Hansen was born on 23 Jan 1910 in Turup Mark, Turup, Odense, Denmark
Martha Marie Kristine Hansen was born on 16 Jan 1913 in Turup Mark, Turup, Odense, Denmark
Carl Iver Hansen was born on 20 Sep 1915 in Turup Mark, Turup, Odense,Denmark
======================================================
Jørgen Jensen (son of Maren Jørgensdatter) married Ane Margrethe Sørensen. They had the following children:

Karl Viggo Ove Jensen was born on 3 Oct 1905 in Skellebjerg, Holbæk,Denmark
Mary Sofie Petra Jensen was born on 15 Mar 1907 in Ørsted, Ørsted, Odense,Denmark
Ella Kristine Jensen was born on 10 Mar 1909 in Ørsted, Ørsted, Odense,Denmark
Niels Peter Edvard Jensen was born on 20 Oct 1910 in Ørsted, Ørsted,Odense, Denmark
Rosa Marie Jensen was born on 29 Sep 1912 in Ørsted, Ørsted, Odense,Denmark
Svend Aksel Jensen was born on 25 Apr 1918 in Ørsted, Ørsted, Odense,Denmark
Hans Helge Jensen was born on 20 Feb 1923 in Ørsted, Ørsted, Odense,Denmark
======================================================

Maybe some of these names will help.

Mvh,

Gary Jacobson
Rochester, Minnesota