English translation of Danish occupations

Startet af David Madison, 08 Jan 2014 - 19:36

Forrige emne - Næste emne

David Madison

Hi,

I am researching the census records for my Danish ancestors living on Bornholm in the 1800's.  I am an American and unfortunately do not read Danish.  I have been unable to find a translation from Danish to English for the following occupations.  I would appreciate your help.

Har Jordlod og Arbeide =
Jordbruger =
ulæseligt =
Udbygger og fisker =   _________________ and fisherman
bruger avl og lidet købmandskab =
Husfaderens Forældre, der af ham forsørges =
Spindekone =
Daglønere og lidet Jord =
koffardisailor, sen. fisker = _______________, later a fisherman
hoeker =

tak,

David
Colorado, USA

Peter Kristiansen

Har Jordlod og Arbeide = Owns a piece of land - and has work.
Jordbruger =
ulæseligt = unreadable
Udbygger og fisker =   _________________ and fisherman
bruger avl og lidet købmandskab =
Husfaderens Forældre, der af ham forsørges = the parents of the "house-father", supported by him.
Spindekone = spinning wife
Daglønere og lidet Jord = day laborer and owns a little bit of land
koffardisailor, sen. fisker = koffardisejler: man sailing with a trade ship, later a fisherman
hoeker = høker: small shopkeeper - mainly selling food, and also had the right to pour beer and brandy

It was some of the lines....:-)
M.v.h. Peter Kristiansen

David Madison

Thanks Peter for your help!!!  I had tried to translate all of them to English using computer programs here in America.  However, the results were nonsense.

Tak,

David

Kirsten Kjellerup

May I suggest a small correction?

'spindekone' is not a spinning wife but a woman spinner.

The Danish Word 'kone' is used both in the meaning of wife and the meaning of woman.

Kindly,
Kirsten Kjellerup

Kirsten Kjellerup

The direct translation of 'udbygger' is 'outbuilder', which means, as I have told you, that he has built on land that is parcelled out from another estate.

Kindly,
Kirsten Kjellerup

John Damm Sørensen

Citat fra: Kirsten Kjellerup [16473] Dato 08 Jan 2014 - 20:56
May I suggest a small correction?

'spindekone' is not a spinning wife but a woman spinner.

The Danish Word 'kone' is used both in the meaning of wife and the meaning of woman.

Kindly,
Kirsten Kjellerup

Don't always trust Google translate. According to this dictionary http://www.thefreedictionary.com/spinster the translation is "a spinster".

Best
John

Kirsten Kjellerup

Citat fra John Damm Sørensen: "Don't always trust Google translate..."

I never use Google translate. A spinster is mostly used in the meaning of 'elderly unmarried woman'. The Danish Word is 'gammeljomfru'.

Ralph Rasmussen

A couple holes filled:

Jordbruger = lit. 'land user', farmer
ulæseligt = unreadable
Udbygger og fisker =   living on a subdivided plot outside the village and fisherman
bruger avl og lidet købmandskab = engages in breeding of cattle and casual retail
Husfaderens Forældre, der af ham forsørges = the parents of the "house-father", supported by him.
(but does not have a contracted income, 'aftægt', derived from granting his son a privilege or property the father has had)
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

David Madison