Palace staff

Startet af Julie Turner, 19 Jan 2011 - 06:15

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Julie Turner

Hi.  My great grandmother may have been a maid at the Royal Palace. Is it possible to access records for Palace staff. Would staff have been included in censuses?

Thanks Jules

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Jules,

Which years are we talking about? You could also give a name.

Lissa

Julie Turner

Lissa,

Her name was Ellen Marie Hansen (born 1855, Udby, Tuse, Holbaek). It would have been around 1880-84.

Julie

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Julie,

There was a census in 1880 and an additional one in Copenhagen in 1885, but if Ellen Marie was in Copenhagen between these two censuses, then it's no easy to find her.

I cannot find her in the 1880 and in the 1885 census in Copenhagen.

Lissa

Jens Peter Lieberkind

Hi.

Just an idea: There is an Ellen Marie Hansen, widow from Udby, Holbæk, and with almost correct age in the 1885 census for Copenhagen - but she's not working at the palace, but as a night nurse at one of the hospitals. Any chance it could be her?

Navn: Ellen Marie Hansen   Køn: K   Alder: 38   Civilstand: Enke
Erhverv: Vaagekone paa Blegdams Hospital   Fødested: Udby, Holbæk Amt
Kilde: FT-1885  Amt: København   Herred: København (Staden)   Sogn: Blegdams Hosital
Matr.nr/adresse: Observations-Bygningen   Husstands-/familienr: 1   Indtastningsnr: C6149   Løbenr.: 3

Jens Peter

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Julie,

I think that Jens Peter has found your Ellen Marie Hansen.  I went through the Udby, Tuse, Holbæk births from 1845 to 1855 and the only Ellen Marie Hansen I found was born 9 Aug 1855 to Hans Jeppesen and Ane Kirstine Jørgensdatter, opslag 179 nr 8.  She was confirmed in Udby in 1869, opslag 126 nr 2.  Here are her parents in the 1880 census
All persons in the household

Holbæk, Tuse, Udby, Kidserup, , Et huus, 41, FT-1880
Name:    Age:    Marital status:    Occupation in household:    Occupation:    Birth place:
Hans Jeppesen   63    Gift   Husfader      Kundby Sogn, Holbæk Amt
Anna Kirstine Jørgensen   53    Gift   Hustru      Udby Sogn, Holbæk Amt
Jens Hansen   15    Ugift   Søn      Do (her i Sognet)

And Ellen Marie in the 1880 census

Holbæk, Ars, Røsnæs, Bjørnstrup By, , Refsnæsgård, 133, FT-1880
Name:    Age:    Marital status:    Occupation in household:    Occupation:    Birth place:
Otto Frederik Christian Anton Lawaetz   50    Gift   Husfader, Gårdejer      Bürzen, Holsten
Kathinka Beathea Lawaetz   40    Gift   Husmoder      Kjøbenhavn
Ida Augusta Christiane Lawaetz   22    Ugift   deres Børn      Kallundborg
Emma Lawaetz   18    Ugift   deres Børn      Kallundborg
Otto Carl Heinrich Lawaetz   13    Ugift   deres Børn      heri Sognet
Carl Anton Nicolai Lawaetz   11    Ugift   deres Børn      heri Sognet
Fritz Christian Lawaetz   9    Ugift   deres Børn      heri Sognet
Lotter Poul Anton Lawaetz   8    Ugift   deres Børn      heri Sognet
Otto Carl Lawaetz   8    Ugift   deres Børn      Timring Sogn, Ringkøbing Amt
Poul Otto Lawaetz   7    Ugift   deres Børn      Timring Sogn, Ringkøbing Amt
Sofie Christine Frederikke Lawaetz   19    Ugift   deres Børn      Timring Sogn, Ringkøbing Amt
Eva Marie Lawaetz   3    Ugift   deres Børn      Heri Sognet
Harald Johannes Lawaetz   2    Ugift   deres Børn      Heri Sognet
Betti Sofie Christine Lawaetz   1    Ugift   deres Børn      Heri Sognet
udøbt   under 1 Aar    Ugift   deres Børn      Heri Sognet
Emma Dorothea Wolck   45    Ugift   -      Kjøbenhavn
Christiane Christensen   24    Ugift   Tjenestefolk      Timring Sogn, Ringkøbing Amt
Ane Sofie Pedersen   26    Ugift   Tjenestefolk      Vindum Sogn, Viborg Amt
Laurine Vilhelmmine Jensen   21    Ugift   Tjenestefolk      Aarby Sogn, holbæk Amt
Ellen Marie Hansen   24    Ugift   Tjenestefolk      Udby Sogn
Hans Rasmussen Eriksen   24    Ugift   Tjenestefolk      Ommel, Erø [Ommel, Marstal sogn, Ærø herred, Svendborg amt]
Niels Thomsen Jensen Dahl   18    Ugift   Landvæsens Elev      Jarup Sogn, Ribe Amt [Hjarup sogn, Ribe amt]
Laust Møller Nielsen   28    Ugift   Tjenestefolk      Timring Sogn, Ringkøbing Amt
Christoffer Petersen   28    Ugift   Tjenestefolk      Nykøbing, Falster
Søren Kristjan Jensen Breholdt   28    Ugift   Tjenestefolk      Aaborg [Aalborg]
Lars Petersen   25    Ugift   Tjenestefolk      Toksværd Sogn, Præstø Amt
Klavs Peter Sørensen   23    Ugift   Tjenestefolk      Sinding Sogn, Ringkøbing Amt
Jens Jørgen Pettersen   21    Ugift   Tjenestefolk      Merstal [Marstal sogn, Ærø herred, Svendborg amt]
Ole Olsen   26    Ugift   Tjenestefolk      Skibbinge Sogn, Præstø Amt [Skibinge sogn, Præstø amt]
Peter Knudsen Ingvard Lisborg   20    Ugift   Landvæsens Elev      -
L. Gabe   51    Gift   -      Meklenburg

Sincerely,
Paul

Julie Turner

Everyone,

thank you all very much. I'm new to the forum and can't believe the fabulous response.

Ellen Marie Hansen in the census in Holbaek is the right one, Lissa, but not the one in Copenhagen, thanks Jens Peter, as she had a child in 1888 and was not a widow in 1885. Are there more censuses after 1880? I'd like to track Ellen Marie and her husband Christen Madsen Jensen Bach.

Cheers

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Julie,

Can you tell us when and where Ellen was married and when and where her child was born and his or her name.  This will help us track her movements.

There were censuses in 1890, 1901, 1906, 1911, 1916, 1921, 1925, and 1930.

Sincerely,
Paul

Julie Turner

Paul,

Ellen married Christen Madsen Jensen Bach on 1 April, 1884, at Borup, Støving, Randers.  Their children - Anna Jensen Bach was born on 9 Dec 1884 at Vissing, Glaten, Randers and Axel Johannes Jensen Bach was born on 1 May 1888 at Jorløse, Skippinge, Holbæk. 

Do you have access to all of these census records? It would be great to track the family's movements before 1913 when daughter Anna came to Australia. I have no death records for Christen or Ellen, but Anna left Denmark in 1913, after her parents died we think. Her brother came to Australia in 1912.

This is fun!

julie

Flemming A. Aasklint

Hi

Christen Madsen Jensen Bach
died 6 january 1891 in Jorløse Parish -  33 years old
buried 13 january 1891
Mvh.
Flemming Aasklint
4500  Nykøbing Sjælland

Jens Peter Lieberkind

Oops! Good thing you didn't trust in my night nurse, I was a decade off when I thought the age almost fitted.

The family is in the 1890 census for Jorløse parish. In the Danish Demographic Database the name is transcribed as Bech, but the originals at Arkivalieronline (Jorløse parish, Skippinge, Holbæk, opslag 55) says Bach.

Name: Christen Madsen Jensen Bech   Sex: M   Age: 32   Marital status: Gift

Census year: FT-1890   County: Holbæk   District: Skippinge   Parish: Jorløse   Place name: Jordløse
Household-/ family no: 7   Source entry no: C4767   Record no: 642

[...]
Christen Madsen Jensen Bech   32    Gift   Husfader   Meierist   Helsted, Randers Amt
Ellen Marie Bech   34    Gift   Husmoder   Meierske   Kidserup, Holbæk Amt ?
Anna Jensen Bech   4    Ugift   Barn      Vissing, Randers Amt
Axel Johannes Jensen Bech   1    Ugift   Barn      Vesterbygård, Holbæk Amt
[...]

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Julie,

Anna Jensen Bach was confirmed on 9 Apr 1899 in Jorløse, opslag 111 nr 3.  According to that record they lived in Vesterbygård, Jorløse.  I looked in the 1901 census for Vesterbygård but did not find the family.

See if the Australian records of her an Axel's immigration tell where in Denmark they came from.

Sincerely,
Paul

Lissa Pedersen

Peder Sørensen

hello
originally she is baptisted with the name:
Anna Jensen Bak , born 9. dec  1884, home baptisted 01,, feb 1885, and in the  church 6 apr 1885 ( s A) same year. mothers age 29 year. 
testamonies: The childs mother, Widov Kirsten Bak from Randers, Farm owner in Røved Ewald Martin Jensen, Carpenter Niels Buch and yungman on a farm Niels Buch, both of Randers .
see Arkivalie online 1871-1891. Vissing, Galten,Randers/data/kirkebøeger/C3008/8/013/K02-21-a.tif
regards
Peder

Peder Sørensen

Hello
yes some of the family  lived in  Vesterbygaard but by Anne Jensen Bach confirmation there vas a mark before the fathers job (afd) and it means dead,
Anna Jensen Bach was confirmed on 9 Apr 1899 in Jorløse, opslag 111 nr 3.
regards
Peder

Julie Turner

Hi,
Paul, The only record I have of Axel (called John) and Anna's immigration is the passenger list which does not say where they are from. I have Anna's birth certificate and her parent's marriage certificate.

Do the death certificates say what the person died of? Christen died very young at 33. And is there no death certificate for Ellen Marie?

All very interesting.

Julie