Maren Hansdatter -- born 04 November 1826

Startet af Karl-Henrik Jensen, 08 Sep 2013 - 11:54

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Karl-Henrik Jensen

On behalf of Audrey Sedgwick, one of our helpers finsing relatives in Canada

"Would you be able to find the date and place of death of my great grandmother, Maren Hansdatter --born 04 November 1826??  She married twice, possible  three times.

The marriage to Jens Hansen 04 May 1867 was the second, and my grandmother Camilla Elise Jensine Hansen was born 01 Dec. 1867. The first  to Jens Christensen, 22 Oct.1847 at Karrebaek, Zealand.

I have researched and found relatives of two of their daughters: Karen Marien Jensen  born 30 June 1849, and Christine Sophie Jensen, born 15 Oct, 1853, also at Karrebaek.

It is possible my great grandmother married a third time. My grandmother, Camilla came to America in 1886. She had lived in Karrebaek, Korsor, and Copenhagen before coming to America.

Some of my family thought Maren Hansdatter died when Camilla was very young, but I have a letter talking about her that shows her alive in 1910.

Camilla was married and had her family by that time so the "died when Camilla was very young"is not correct.It has been very puzzling to me. I would appreciate any help in this area.             

thanks Audrey"

Karl-Henrik Jensen

Hi Paul

Thank you for your information, I hope it would bring us nearer to the place and date for
the death of Maren Hansdatter.. :-)

kindly regards

Karl-Henrik

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Karl-Henrik,

Does Audrey know where the 1910 letter was postmarked?  This would possibly give a clue as to where she was living at that time.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Karl-Henrik Jensen

Jeg mailer hende og spørger...
;)
Karl-Henrik

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Karl-Henrik,

Here is Camilla in the 1880 census

All persons in the household

Sorø, Slagelse, Korsør Købstad, Korsør, , Ud mod Stranden Matr.No 224, Kvisten, 1, FT-1880
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Occupation in household:      Occupation:      Birth place:
Jens Hansen   45    Gift   Husfader, Skibstømrersvend      Rønnebæk, Sorø Amt
Maren Hansen   53    Gift   Husmoder      Fensmark, Sorø Amt
Camilla Elise Hansen   12    Ugift   Datter      Karrebæk, Sorø Amt

and here also visiting her sister and brother-in-law.

All persons in the household

Sorø, Slagelse, Korsør Købstad, Korsør, , Slottensgade Matr. No. 142, Kvist, 1, FT-1880
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Occupation in household:      Occupation:      Birth place:
Niels Rasmussen   24    Gift   Hustømrersvend, Husfader      Døiringe, Sorø Amt
Kristine Sofie Rasmussen født Jensen   26    Gift   hans Kone      Karrebæk
Kamilla Elise Jensine Hansen   12    Ugift   i Besøg      Karrebæk, Sorø Amt

Niels Rasmussen and Christine Sophie Jensen were married in Korsør Skt Povl on 25 May 1878, opslag 56 nr 8.  One of the witnesses was Jens Hansen of Korsør.

mvh
Paul

Karl-Henrik Jensen

I have some new informations - Audrey had in 2008 a dialogue with a Fellow genealogist in Dis-Forum - find your relatives in Denmark.

I have summarized the dialogue:

Audrey: I am searching for information of the adult life and descendants of: Christine Sophie Jensen, born Karebaek, 15 Oct. 1853, Christen Jensen, born Karebaek 1856, Hans Frederik Jensen, born Karebaek 1857, Ane Juliane Jensen, born Karebaek,1861.

The family moved to Korsør with their mother, Maren Handatter and her new husband Jens Hansen, about 1880.

Christine Sophie married Niels Rasmussen and lived in Korsør. While in Korsør they had a daughter Camilla Marie born 26 May 1886. Camilla was also confirmed in Korsør Svt Povl, 14 April1901.

Although I have searched, it seems like the family went different ways, moved, or immigrated. Whatever happened, I lose track of them.

These are my grandmother's half brothers and sisters.

Poul-Erik: Jens Hansen and Maren Hansdatter were married in 1867, 1. Juni (opslag 109 Karrebæk 1861-1873).

They had a daughter Kamilla Elise Jensine Hansen 10. december 1867 (opslag 42).

She was "konfirmeret" 16. april 1882 as daughter of Jens Hansen and Ane Jensen (opslag 181 Korsør Skt Poul 1861-1884). It seems as Maren had died and Jens Hansen had remarried.

This is the family in 1880:
Sorø, Slagelse, Korsør Købstad, Korsør, Ud mod Stranden Matr.No 224, Kvisten, 1, FT-1880, C7109
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Jens Hansen 45 Gift Husfader, Skibstømrersvend Rønnebæk, Sorø Amt
Maren Hansen 53 Gift Husmoder Fensmark, Sorø Amt
Camilla Elise Hansen 12 Ugift Datter Karrebæk, Sorø Amt

Christine Sophie Jensen and Hans Frederik Jensen were "konfirmeret" in Karrebæk, but I have not found Christen Jensen or Ane Juliane Jensen.  Have you found records of their "konfirmation" or death?

Audrey: I am a descendant of Camilla Elise Jensine Hansen. However, the statement that Maren Hansen had died and Jens Hansen had remarried is not correct. Ane Juliane Jensen was Jens' stepdaughter. She was the daughter of Maren Hansdatter and Jens Christensen. Maren was still alive in 1909, because I have a postcard written by Karen Marie Jensen Frederiksen, Maren's oldest daughter, saying she had visited her mother on her birthday. Maren birthday was 04 Nov 1826.

Thank you for the confirmation information of Hans Frederik and Christine Sophie.

I have found the birth records only for Ane Juliane and Christen Jensen.

I have tried to find where Maren died, and when. The only clue I have is that she was still alive in 1908, because her daughter Marie mentions visiting her in a postcard sent at that time.

She was not listed as present at Camilla's confirmation.

The postcard mentioned above was sent from Birkerød. It was sent by Karen Marie, the eldest daughter of Jens and Maren to her half sister Camilla Elise Jensine Hansen, who lived in the United States.

Karen Marie mentions that she visited her mother (Maren) on her birthday. Maren's birthday was 04 Nov 1826. The postcard tells of Karen's daughter Jenny's wedding which was 01 Dec 1909. It also wishes Camilla a happy New Year. To me this indicates that Maren was alive in 1909, she would have celebrated her 83rd birthday.  I have not been able to find out WHERE she lived at this time.

I also find this confusing, because information my father gathered made it sound like my great grandmother Maren died when my grandmother Camilla was quite young. Using this postcard for information shows that Maren was alive when Camilla was 42.

Any information on this family after Korsør 1880 would be much appreciated....

Poul-Erik:  Jens Hansen died 21. April 1883 (opslag 29 Korsør Skt Povls 1876-1891).

What do you know about Karen Marie Jensen born 30 Juni 1849 and konfirmeret Mickelsdag 1863?

The family left Karrebæk in 1873 (opslag 190 Karrebæk 1861-1873) and went to Skelskør. Ane Juliane was konfirmeret there (opslag 176 Sorø, Skelskør 1866-1876).

It does not help much, but she became more than 14 years old.

Audrey:   This family originated in Karebaekminde. I have succeeded in finding the eldest, Karen Marie Jensen's descendants, but need assistance in tracing Christine Sophie, Christen, Hans Frederik, and Ane Juliane.

These people are half brothers and sisters to my grandmother Camilla Elise Jensine Hansen. Camilla was the only child of Maren Hansdatter's second marriage to Jens Hansen.

The last place of residence where I find any of the family (excepting Karen Marie) is Korsør. I have information suggesting the family of Christine Sophie and Niels Rasmussen was still in Korsør in 1956. Searches I made did not show them at Korsør, but they may have been in a neighboring town, rather that Korsør itself.

I do not know where or when Maren Hansdatter died, but she was still alive in 1910 according to a letter sent to my grandmother, Camilla.

My conclusion:
Maren was still alive in 1909, because Audrey have a postcard written by Karen Marie Jensen Frederiksen,  saying she had visited her mother on her birthday. Maren birthday was 04 Nov 1826.

The postcard mentioned above was sent from Birkerød. It was sent by Karen Marie, the eldest daughter of Jens and Maren to her half sister Camilla Elise Jensine Hansen, who lived in the United States.

Karen Marie mentions that she visited her mother (Maren) on her birthday. Maren's birthday was 04 Nov 1826. The postcard tells of Karen's daughter Jenny's wedding which was 01 Dec 1909. It also wishes Camilla a happy New Year.

To Audrey this indicates that Maren was alive in 1909, she would have celebrated her 83rd birthday.  But she has not been able to find out WHERE Maren lived at this time.

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Karl-Frederik,

One of the witnesses at Jenny Frederikke Frederiksen's wedding on 1 Dec 1909 is Niels Lorentzen from Fuglebjerg.  This is most likely Fuglebjerg, Øster Flakkebjerg, Sorø.  Perhaps this is where Maren Hansdatter was living in 1909.  I will look at the records for that parish later when I have time.

mvh
Paul

Karl-Henrik Jensen

Think you Paul, hoping you can help Audrey..
Kindly regards
Karl-henrik

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Karl-Frederik,

I have looked at the deaths in Fuglebjerg up to 1928 and Maren Hansdatter did not die there.  Since her half sister visited her on 26 Nov and her daughter's wedding was on 1 Dec, she must have lived close to Birkerød.  Would you take a look at the 1909 marriage in Birkerød and see if there are any clues.  I noticed that the marriage banns were not read at Birkerød but in København.  The record is opslag 291 nr 17.

mvh
Paul

Paul Londahl-Smidt

I also checked the deaths in Birkerød through 1913 and no Maren.

mvh
Paul

Karl-Henrik Jensen

Hi Paul

Thank you for your continuing help..

I will look at the 1909 marriage in Birkerød later, but not todat because my eldest daughter
have 40 years birthday today...  :D

mvh

Karl-Henrik

Inger Toudal

In the meantime, Paul (and others) might want to look at the informations provided in a thread in the "old forum":

http://www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/read.php?11,424178,434879

It seems that Maren was visiting in Copenhagen in 1885:

København, København (Staden), Rømersgade (Lige numre), Kjøbenhavn Nørrevold Kvarter, Rømersgade 24,matr.300 Baghuset 3.Sal, 25, FT-1885, C8640
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Position in household:      Occupation:      Birth place:
Marie Cathrine Christensen   30    Enke   Huusmoder   Vestesyning   Ulkebøl Sogn paa Als
Andreas Christensen   10    Ugift   Barn      Kjøbenhavn
Christian Christensen   8    Ugift   Barn      Kjøbenhavn
Marry Sophie Christensen   7    Ugift   Barn      Kjøbenhavn
Betty Marie Christensen   6    Ugift   Barn      Kjøbenhavn
Valdemar Christensen   5    Ugift   Barn      Kjøbenhavn
Jenny Christensen   3    Ugift   Barn      Kjøbenhavn
Maren Hansen   58    Enke   Besøgende      Fensmark Sogn,Sorø Amt

For the whereabouts of the family in 1880, when Maren was living as a lodger with the above family in Copenhagen, and her husband in Korsør, see http://www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/read.php?11,486378,486378#msg-486378

Best regards,
Inger Toudal
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Inger Toudal

In the probate of Jens Hansen April 1883 his widow is Maren Hansen:

AO: Skifter, Amt: Sorø, Embede: Korsør byfoged, Skifteprotokol, 1882 marts 10 -1889 oktober 25, opslag 42, right hand page, and opslag 43, right hand page.

It seems there's a mistake in Camilla Elise Jensine Hansen's confirmation record April 1882, where the mother is called Ane Jensen.

Inger T.
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal