Finding an 1885 address in Copenhagen today

Startet af Ruth Becker Morenz, 11 Aug 2013 - 15:22

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Ruth Becker Morenz

I have reservations to visit Copenhagen next May, 2014 and I am hoping to visit the churches, etc. where my ancestors attended or neighborhoods where they lived.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me if the following streets I found in late 1800's censuses still exist.

Frydsvej 18; Copenhagen Udensby North Neighborhood

Faelledvej 17

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Sincerely,
Ruth Becker Morenz

Ruth Becker Morenz

Dear Jesper,

You have helped me many times in the past and I thank you so very much again.  I am so looking forward to visiting Copenhagen next year.

Sincerely,
Ruth Becker Morenz

Helmer Christiansen

Frydsvej is today called Sundevedsgade.
The house on Sundevedsgade 18 was built in 1879.
Before 1880 Frydsvej belonged to Frederiksberg parish. Today it is in Sankt Mathæus parish.
Constructed between 1879 and 1880, St. Matthew's Church was the first church to be built outside the former Western City Gate. At that time the parish had around 2,000 inhabitants
Up until the mid-1890s, St. Matthew's remained the only church in Vesterbro. At the turn of the 20th century the population had grown to about 7,000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Matthew's_Church,_Copenhagen).

On the address Fælledvej 17 is a new house built in 1973.
Fælledvej is in Sankt Johannes parish. St. John's Church opened in 1861 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John's_Church,_Copenhagen).
Helmer Christiansen
2000 F

Ruth Becker Morenz

Dear Helmer,

Oh my goodness, thank you so very much for all of that information.  How very kind of you to go into all that detail.  I really appreciate it.

I did find my great-grandfather's baptism records in St. John's records online.  I am anxious to see these places in person when I visit.  He lived at Frydsvej 18 when he was 16 and before coming to the United States.  The family lived at Faelledvej 17 when he was born.

Thank you again so very much.

Sincerely,
Ruth Becker Morenz