Charles Emilius Engelbrecht

Startet af frederick englebert, 11 Jul 2013 - 10:26

Forrige emne - Næste emne

frederick englebert

Looking for any information on Charles Emilius Engelbrecht, one year old in 1850, living with his widowed mother Betty Kirstine Engelbrecht in Kobenhavn Staden, Rosenborg Kvarter, Aabenraa   225,

John Wrenholt

The ages suggest that this is him in the 1855 census:

København, København (Staden), Sankt Annæ Vester Kvarter, St A:Wester, , Borgergaden 117, 3 sal b, Forhuset, FT-1855
,??, Engelbrecht   38   Ugift   Haandarbeide      Kjøbenhavn
Sjarles Engelbrecht   6   Ugift         Kjøbenhavn
Laura Engelbrecht   3/4   Ugift         Kjøbenhavn

The familysearch.org database shows that Charles Emilius Engelbrecht fathered a child named Betzy Caroline Charlotte Engelbrecht in 1871.  You can find the birth record recorded in 1867-1876 Skt Paul, Sokkelund, København ops 304 number 243.

Ralph Rasmussen

It could look as if 'widow' was an euphemism.  Betsy Christine or Kirstine Betty Engelbrecht, born 1817, appears in 1845, 1840, and 1834 censuses.  In 1845 it appears that your Betty is the mother of a daughter Emma Betty (or Betzy) Frederike, baptized at Trinitatis October 25, 1844, Trinitatis 1836-1844, opslag 488.

If this is the right line of reasoning, Charles Emelius may have a different last name in the baptismal record. Thinking along that line, Charles still doesn't seem to appear in Family Search.

A similar search for Betty's birth in 1817 is inconclusive, with a birthplace of Copenhagen.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

John Wrenholt

Immigration to New York?

Name:   Engelbrecht, Charles Emil   Occupation:   Maler
Contract no.:   4200   Registration date:   2/15/1879
Last res. parish:   København   Last res. county:   København
Last residence:   Kbhn.   Destination country:   USA
Destination city:   New York City   Destination state:   New York State
Name of ship:   Indirekte
IDcode:   I7879E0310

John Wrenholt

B: Tage August Charles Engelbrecht                                Født: 09.09.1877
F: Charles Emilius Engelbrecht - sergent                         
M: Lovina Augusta Bloch                                           Sogn: Citadel                 
                                                                  SgNr: 15

Birth of a son.  See record in 1866-1891 Citadel - Kastels, Sokkelund, København ops 68.

Mette Lund

The birth/baptism of Laura is in Trinitatis 1854-1857 opslag 243:

Laura Frederikke born May 27, 1854. Mother Betzy Kirstine Engelbreth (single). Alleged father Carl Emil Marken (?).

Here is Laura in 1916: http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sfup&controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=1639858&searchname=polit_adv

Mette Lund

Marriage of Charles Emilius Engelbrecht and Lovina Augusta Bloch June 23, 1874, is in Citadel-Kastels 1858-1888 opslag 62 no. 10.

Lissa Pedersen

Deleted .. sorry wrong person.

Lissa

frederick englebert

Many thanks to you all.
I do think I might, just might, have found a link thanks to you.

John; Looking at the entry of birth for Betzy Caroline Charlotte Engelbrecht for 1871; her mother is given as Wilhelmine Caroline Valentin and I cannot quite make out what the word is just before her name, is it Ugift (unmaried)? I have found a marriage record for a Wilhelmine Caroline Valentin and Peder Pedersen in 1873, which does suggest that Wilhelmine and Charles Emilius never married!
And could you decipher what words precede 'Corporal Charles Emilius Engelbrecht......., presumably his full army rank!
Best Regards

Frederick

John Wrenholt

I read it as: "ugift" and "gymnastiklærer i garden"

They were unmarried (at least at the time of birth) and he was an instructor or teacher of physical education.

frederick englebert

Many thanks John

Frederickl

Jane C

To repeat the emigration record John posted, it appears Charles's wife and son follow a few months later:

Navn:  Engelbrecht, Charles Emil
Stilling:  Maler
Alder:  30
Bestemmelsessted:  New York
Kontrakt nr.:  4200
Forevisningsdato:  2/15/1879
Sidste oph.sogn:  København
Sidste oph. amt:  København
Sidste oph.sted:  Kbhn.
Bestemmelses land:  USA
Bestemmelses by:  New York City
Bestemmelses stat:  New York State
Skibsnavn:  Indirekte
IDkode:  I7879E0310

Navn:  Engelbrecht, Lovisa Aug.
Stilling:  Gift
Alder:  25
Kontrakt nr.:  274700
Forevisningsdato:  9/4/1879
Sidste oph.sted:  Kjøbenh.
IDkode:  I7879E0607

Navn:  Engelbrecht, Tage Charles
Stilling:  Søn
Alder:  02
Kontrakt nr.:  274700
Forevisningsdato:  9/4/1879
Sidste oph.sted:  Kjøbenh.
IDkode:  I7879E0608

frederick englebert

frederick englebert

I have all the information you would think I need re migration to New York, but I am blowed if I can find these people on any incoming ships lists for the period!
Frederick

David Peterson

Frederick:

Sometimes they are never to be found in the passenger lists.  Either they were missed, or they were recorded in a way that we would never think to look for.  (I have immigrant ancestors that have never been found in the lists.)

Where did these three (Charles, Lovisa and Tage August Charles) end up in living in the US, and using what names?  Do they appear in any census?

David Peterson

frederick englebert

I need to look at the censuses again David, I have not had much success as yet.

Regards

Frederick

David Peterson

Frederick:

I imagine that this trail had to start somewhere...   :) What is the source of the information that says they were born in Denmark and emigrated to the US?

David Peterson

frederick englebert

David,
What my problem is, and has been for many years, is locating any information on my Greatgrandfather Emil David Engelbrecht, supposedly born in Hamburg in 1850!! Since I can find no records whatsoever in Hamburg, and as I am told by researchers in Hamburg that no one of the name was christened/baptised in Hamburg between 1830/1870, I have been looking at records, from anywhere, that may relate to my man. The only Emil/Emilius I have come across are a child born in Odense in 1847! and the Emilius mentioned. Though my Emil ended up marrying in England in 1879, suggesting that Emilius and his family are not who I should be looking at, I am still compelled to explore any possible links/connections.
I know my Emil's father was Georg(e) and that he was a Customs Officer, deceased by 1879.
The only firm information I have on Emil David, the signature on his marriage certificate of 1879, is a British Home Office card index of "enemy aliens" dated 1939 stating:
'David Engelbert (the name the family now uses and which appears to have originated around 1890) born Hamburg 21-04-1850, nationality: German.
My man was apparently interned as an enemy alien in 1914/18 and was kept on the register for as long as he was residing/living in the UK. He died in 1939.
Regards David
Frederick