Help on 4th Great GrandParents Needed

Startet af Lynn Christiansen, 12 Jun 2013 - 19:06

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lynn Christiansen

I am confused I think....

My 4th Great GrandParents:
•   Peiter Michelsen (Mikkelsen) was born 12 Feb 1770 (1727-1772 Sennels Hillerslev Thisted img 58 pg 35 #1770-2).
•   Ellen Nielsdatter was born 10 Apr 1768 (1727-1772 Sennels Hillerslev Thisted img 57 #4)
•   Their marriage took place on 17 Aug 1800 (1773-1814 Sennels Hillerslev Thisted img 86 pg 44 #1800-3).
•   They had 6 children that I have documented, the last being Niels Christian Peitersen born 31 May 1814 (1773-1814 Sennels Hillerslev Thisted img 74 #14).
•   Ellen died 25 Mar 1823 (1814-1838  Sennels Hillerslev Thisted img 162 pg 211-#4).

The 1834 Thisted Census shows (Search on Pe% Mi%):

All persons in the household
Thisted, Hillerslev, Sennels, Sennels Bye, , et Huus, 36, FT-1834
Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation in household: Occupation: Birth place:
Peder Pedersen  48 Gift  Almisselem
Anne Cathrine Sørensdatter  49 Gift  hans Kone, Almisselem
Søren Christian Pedersen  13 Ugift  deres Børn, Almisselem
Karen Pedersdatter  11 Ugift  deres Børn, Almisselem
Christen Pedersen  9 Ugift  deres Børn, Almisselem
Peiter Mikkelsen  63 Gift  Almisselem
Anne Pedersdatter  46 Gift  hans Kone, Almisselem
Kirsten Peitersdatter  12 Ugift  deres Børn, Almisselem
Ellen Pedersdatter  4 Ugift  deres Børn, Almisselem

This Census shows Peiter Mikkelsen age 63 which matches with my Peiter Michelsen (within 1 year) but if I am reading the census correctly, his "current" wife is Anne Pedersdatter and they have 2 children Kirsten and Ellen. I have not been able to find any additional information on Anne, Kirsten or Ellen. If this Peiter Mikkelsen in the Census is truly my person then Kirsten would have been born about 1 year before the death of Ellen Nielsdatter, the "first" wife. (Census year 1834 minus her age of 12=1822)

Questions:
1)   Is the Peiter Mikkelsen of the census my Peiter Michelsen?
2)   If so, Can anyone help me find information on Anne, Kirsten and Ellen? I searched the Sennel registers and either missed them or I need a different location.
3)   And an additional question, I located a death entry for Peiter Michelsen on 27 Sep 1838 (1814-1838 Sennels Hillerslev Thisted img 158 pg 199#1838-4). This would put his age at death at 68 years of age, however, the death entry states age at death at 66. Is this really the death entry for my Peiter Michelsen, even with a difference in the spelling of the surname and the age at death being 2 years difference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....Thank you.
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

David Peterson

Lynn:

The census takers were not always careful in verifying the exact parentage of the children in the household.  (And perhaps the adults did not help.....)

It appears that Ellen is NOT the daughter of Peder/Peiter, but rather his granddaughter.

In Sennels parish, 1830, opslag 61, there is an entry for illegitimate Ellen Pedersdatter, born 9 April. Her mother is "Anne Cathrine Peitersdr".

There is a 1834 census entry for unmarried Anne Cathrine Peitersdatter, age 25, also living in Sennels bye.

Death records were notorious for having incorrect ages and spelling was often inexact, so I see no problem in that being the death record for Peiter.

David Peterson

Mette Lund

Hi Lynn,

Here is the 1840 census showing that neither Kirsten nor Ellen are children of Peiter Mikkelsen:

Thisted, Hillerslev, Sennels, Sennels By, 40, et Huus, 50-F3, FT-1840, C7381
Navn:    Alder:    Civilstand:      Stilling i husstanden:      Erhverv:      Fødested:
Ane Pedersdatter Vandet   52    Enke      Almisselem   
Kirsten Sørensdatter   18    Ugift      hendes Datter   
Ellen Pedersdatter   10    Ugift      hendes Datters Børn   
Mikkel Jensen Sund   8    Ugift      hendes Datters Børn   
Christine Pedersdatter   24    Ugift      Skrædderpige

The birth and baptism of Kirsten is in Hillerslev 1814-1832, opslag/page 64 (Nov. 25, 1822). The name of the father is different from the name mentioned at Kirsten's confirmation in Hillerslev (1814-1838, opslag/page 100 no. 9) except for the first name, Søren.

This 1840 census states that are Ellen Pedersdatter and Mikkel Jensen Sund are grandchildren of Ane Pedersdatter Vandet.

Regards,
Mette

David Peterson

Ane's marriage to Pieter, #6 in 1823, also in Hillerslev parish church book, is on opslag 127.  But it notes that marriage actually took place in Sennels church.

David Peterson

Lynn Christiansen

Thank you everyone---I'll now try to digest all of the information provided.  :) :)
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

Inger Toudal

Hi Lynn,

Here's a bit more. The mother of Mikkel Jensen (Sund) b. 22 Nov. 1832 is also unmarried Anne Cathrine Peitersdatter (Sennels 1814-1838, opslag 29 # 10).

Thisted, Hillerslev, Sennels, Sennels by, Et huus, 41 F3, FT-1845, C1406
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Position in household:      Occupation:      Birth place:
Ane Cathrine Peitersdatter   36    Ugift      Almisselem   Sennels sogn
Mikkel Jensen Sund   13    -      Hendes børn [Ane Cathrine Peitersdatter]   Sennels sogn
Jens Peter Pedersen   3    -      Hendes børn [Ane Cathrine Peitersdatter]   Sennels sogn

As she's Peiter Mikkelsen's and Ellen Nielsdatter's daughter (born 1809, confirmation Sennels 1814-1838, opslag 91 # 3), Ane Pedersdatter Vandet is actually the stepgrandmother of Ellen Pedersdater and Mikkel Jensen, i.e. they are hendes (Sted)datters Børn.

Kirsten Sørensdatter's (b. 1822) mother is Ane Pedersdatter Vandet. The name of the alleged father is corrected in the birth record: NB: Søren Pedersen Skrolde. In Kirsten's confirmation record (Sennels 1814-1838, opslag 100 #9), it's noted that she's living at home with her stepfather Peiter Mikkelsen in Sennels. The alleged father is the same as in the birth record.

Best regards,
Inger T.
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal