Help with 1834 Copenhagen Census

Startet af Ruth Becker Morenz, 15 Mar 2013 - 15:12

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Ruth Becker Morenz

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me with a street name.  My 4x great-grandfather, Johann Joachim Becker, died in 1837 and lived at Lille Brondstraed 122.  When I go to the 1834 census to try and see if he was at that address in 1834, I cannot find that street listed anywhere. 

Any help would be wonderful.

Sincerely,
Ruth Becker Morenz

Eva Morfiadakis

Shouldn't it be Lille Larsbjørnstraede in Nørre kvarter? The 1834 Census is incomplete.

Eva M
Eva M

Ruth Becker Morenz

Dear Eva,

Thank you for your response.  I did not know that the 1834 census is incomplete.  That explains it.

Also, on the church record for his death, it has L. Brondstraede 122.  That was in the 1837 death record in Trinitatis. 

Again, thank you.

Ruth Becker Morenz

Peter Kristiansen

Lille Brøndstræde was one of the sorriest streets of Copenhagen, populated by drinkers and whores - and was pulled down around 1910.

You can see it on this map - between the still existing Vognmagergade and Gothersgade.
http://stormp.kk.dk/rhb/rosenborg_sterm.htm

It is Rosenborg qvarter - but that one is also missing in the 1834-census - the only preserved quarters are Sankt Annæ Vester and Sankt Annæ Øster.
M.v.h. Peter Kristiansen

Ruth Becker Morenz

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your response.  How very sad that that is where my family lived in 1837.  I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Sincerely,
Ruth Becker Morenz