Mysteries in Starup and Faaborg Parishes

Startet af Marlon Henvit, 02 Aug 2012 - 21:34

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Marlon Henvit

I thought I had a pretty good handle on this family , Christen Eskesen and wife Else Marie Joensdatter, until I started double checking my information today. I have relied heavily on transcribed records from Vester Starup which can be found at:

http://www.horsboel.dk/kirkebog/kirke.html

as well as census records from Starup 1787 and Faaborg 1801. For three  generations this family owned starup parish until Christen Eskesen was allowed to sell in 1798. I have for this family 10 children. Little problem with the first 8. I can give birth dates but I don't think it is relevant at this time. The first problem is with child # 5, whose birth record can be seen Starup, Skast, Ribe Opslag 121. It is difficult to read but I read Johan. The transcribed record reads John, no trouble there but the 1887 census has two entries for Johanne Christensdatter age 2. Sex changes in the 1700's?

The family disappears from Starup after the birth of child # 8, Christen in 1794.I thought I had found them in 1801 in the census for Faaborg Bye, Faaborg, Skast Ribe, record 92. But instead of Else Marie Joensdatter it is Jensdatter, son Hans is the correct age, as is the age for Christen Eskesen and Else Marie Joensdatter (Jensdatter). There is a daughter Zidsel Maria Christensdatter whose birth I can not find either in Starup or Faaborg. The birth of Niels Dahl Christensen can be found Faaborg 12 January 1800 and here I read the Mother as Else Marie Iversdatter. Also the two children after Hans, Jørgen and Christen, would be ages 7 and 10 in 1801. Where are they? I have not been able to find a death record. Would they have left the family at such a young age?

Do you think I have the same family on these two census'? What about Johan,, Johanne?

Also I have never been able to find the death of either Christen Eskesen or Else Marie Joensdatter. Any suggestions where I might look? Probably a needle in a hay stack.

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA

Ruth Steenberg Rasmussen

Hi Marlon
The child born in 1786 is without any doubt a son by the name Johan. The original text says they had a son baptised called Johan.

Regards
Ruth

Ruth Steenberg Rasmussen

You have Zidsel Marie born in Starup 1797, opslag 127 last on left side.
She is also in the transcribed record.

Regards
Ruth

Marlon Henvit

Ruth, thanks for your insights.

Marlon Henvit
Reno,Nevada USA