Visitors from Kobenhavn

Startet af LeRoy Anderson, 05 Maj 2012 - 19:06

Forrige emne - Næste emne

LeRoy Anderson

some time between 1916 and 1919, we think my great grandmother and her second husband made a visit to America.  His name was Carl Christian Theodor Nordbye and my great grandmother's name was Helgine Christensdatter Nordbye.  She was born in Hjørring, January 1859, and he was born 22 Feb 1867-Vejle, Denmark.  Her death record-November 1919-residence at time of death, Garnison Engineers Kaserne.  Any help as to departure of Kobenhavn for trip to America would be appreciated.  Their destination of trip would be Arlington, South Dakota. And any other information would be a plus.  LeRoy

Carol Haagensen

I checked the Emigration database, but no Nordbye.  The dates are really too early to be on the Emigration database, anyway.  Did they return to Denmark?  The death place seems to imply that they did. 

Visitors to USA, if in the household at the time of the USA census, would likely show up.  You'd have to find the county/state and then look at the 1860 census, but if they arrived in USA say 1861 and left before the next census in 1870, then you'll find nothing on census. 

Just to check another source, I often run a name through familysearch.com and narrow all the names down (can do from the left hand column of the search page) just to see what might show up. 

Another thought is to find old newspapers (some are online at Ancestry.com) and see if a local paper did a small article about visiting relatives.  If not online at Ancestry, then you'll have to do a little research to find out what the local paper was and then write them to find out if they have an archives. Sometimes usgenweb.com will list the old newspapers at the county website.  This would be a good place to try because they actually thought that visiting relatives from Denmark was news "back then." 

Another though is to try the passenger lists at:  http://www.immigrantships.net/ 

Another idea is to contact the local historical and/or genealogical society.  Most counties and towns in the USA have one.  If they aren't online, you'll have to write them the old fashioned way with paper and stamp. 

You could also contact the Danish Immigration Museum http://dkmuseum.org/ who try to track down and keep records of danes who immigrated to the USA.  They have a database, but not online.  You'll, again, have to write them.

That's about all the searches/places that I can think of where you might find information.  Good luck!

Anni Larsen

Hi.
Can´t help you with a date for trip to USA.

Correction for birth-date of Carl Christian Theodor:
http://www.arkivalieronline.dk

Vejle Sct. Nicolai parish, Nørvang district, Vejle county, 1854-1867, opslag 173
23. july 1866 born in Odense St. Hans parish, bapt. at home in Vejle 24. february 1867.
Carl Christian Theodor Olsen (Olsen crossed out) Nordbye
Parents. Peter Christian Olsen and wife Anne Laurine Christine Nordbye, 25 years old. Before in Odense, now in Vejle.
Remark: Surname changed according to Royal Permission of 13. january 1906.

Odense Sct. Hans parish, Odense, district, Odense county, 1864-1880, opslag 25 no 41
Born 23. july 1866, bapt. at home 24. february in Vejle city.
Carl Christian Theodor Olsen
Parents. Peter Christian Olsen and wife Anne Laurine Christine Nordbye, 24 years old.

http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sfup&controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=1955120&searchname=polit_simple

Regards Anni Larsen

Homer Ficken

LeRoy, what are your reasons or clues that indicate they made the visit to USA?  I find no listing for them, any spelling variations or first names, in 1916-1919 Ellis Island or Ancestry passenger lists.
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

LeRoy Anderson

Thanks for the reply.  I have found two listings for the birth of Carl Christian Theodor Nordbye.  I also found that his parents married well after his birth.  The reason I am seeking travel dates, is that we have two professional photos.  One is Helgine and Carl Nordbye and the other is Henry and Berthe my grandparents.  The photos are consecutively numbered, and I am quite sure my grandfather never returned to Denmark.  Where would I get more information on  his name change?  Also, is there anyplace to find information on Engineers Kaserne--he is listed as a counter person in the commisary in 1910.,  Thanks much LeRoy

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: LeRoy Anderson Dato 06 Maj 2012 - 02:22
  The reason I am seeking travel dates, is that we have two professional photos.  One is Helgine and Carl Nordbye and the other is Henry and Berthe my grandparents.  The photos are consecutively numbered, and I am quite sure my grandfather never returned to Denmark. 

If they are studio pics is the photographer listed?  If not and numbered on the back, they may just be copies made at same time, especially if the background is different.
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Carol Haagensen

I'm still not understanding.  Are you saying that " . . .Helgine and Carl Nordbye and the other is Henry and Berthe my grandparents . . ." are the same people but with changed names?  I don't understand what name(s) was changed.

Jane C

Hi Carol, In LeRoy's first post he refers to his great grandmother Helgine Christensdatter Nordbye and her second husband Carl Christian Theodor Nordbye.  In his second post he refers to "Henry and Berthe my grandparents." So it's four people - two generations.

LeRoy suspects the great-grandparents journeyed to America to visit the grandparents.

The name that was changed was Carl Christian Theodor Nordbye. When born/baptised in 1866, he was given his father's surname Olsen. In 1906 his surname was changed to his mother's surname Nordbye. Many others did the same (changed their surname) at about that time because of a newly passed Danish naming law. In this case (and as far as I know, typically), the priest went back to the churchbook baptismal record, crossed out the original surname, entered the new, and dated the name change. (See above post, Vejle Sct. Nicolai parish, Nørvang district, Vejle county, 1854-1867, opslag 173). I can guess you knew this but simply didn't notice the "fine print" in the above post.

Leroy, you say "The reason I am seeking travel dates [to America], is that we have two professional photos." I think you are saying you have two professional photos labeled with a photography studio in America....is that right? Or if not, why do you think both the photos were taken in America? If your grandfather "never returned to America," doesn't mean the photos weren't taken before he left....or, as Homer suggests, taken in two different places (but copies made together).

Obviously the facts are clear to you, it's just the wording of your post that needs a little tweaking to be clear.

If the great-grandparents traveled to and from America 1916-1919, one would think their trips would show up on Ancestry, and they don't.

LeRoy since Anni is probably sleeping, I'll say what I am seeing on the Politietsregisterblade, just for now:
Carl Christian Theodor Olsen , Alder (age) 25, born 23-7-1866 , in Odense
Stillinger (job position): Sergent
Then a listing of his various addresses, as he moved from one home to another

LeRoy Anderson

Anni Larsen, could you please translate the data on the Politietsregisterblade.  I am trying to determine what his profession was.  and why was he listed in the police record?  Also I am trying to find information as to where he and Helgine were married on 12 Mar 1893.  Thank you so much for your help.  LeRoy

Carol Haagensen

Thanks, Jane.  I should read things more carefully.  I did know about the name laws in Denmark, but I didn't realize that some went back to change the parish registers to their chosen name.  That makes sense, though.  I've run into a couple of situations on my own lines were the christened name gets rather fuzzy later on.  Now I can put it together with why.  Thank you!

LeRoy, the website isn't a police record as you'd think of one in the USA.  It's a List of Inhabitants from the town Copenhagen that law enforcement kept and maintained.

Carol Haagensen

Leroy, were you able to download the listing that Lisa talks about above?  I don't have much danish, but I'm getting better with some things, so will tackle this, if Lisa doesn't mind. . .

Main person=  Hovedperson
Carl Christian Theodor Olsen , 23-7-1866 , Odense (born 23 July 1866) in Odense.
Job: Sergent =  Stillinger: Sergent   It doesn't say what he's a Sergent of, though.

The list of addresses can be important, because then you can locate which parish he was at for which years . . . and the parish registers can give you more information.

Good luck. 

Eva Morfiadakis

Kronprinsessegade 46 which is his first and last adress in Cph was owned by the
Det Kgl Generalitets og Commissariats Kollegium. In the 1890 Census there are a number of sergents living there, among them a Christian Olsen but probably he is not the one you are looking for (image 79). He is 29 and born in Hinge/Silkeborg.
Assume officers who didn't live in the barracks could live there.

Eva M

Eva M

Anne Mortensen

FT 1916
Ryvangsalle (ingeniørkaserne)
opslag 32,33 & 34.

Carl is Marketender (canteen)

Nr 10:
Kronisk Ørersygdom med der
følgende Tunghørighed

http://translate.google.com/#

Chronic ear disease with which
following deafness
Venlig hilsen
Anne Mortensen - 2770

LeRoy Anderson

LeRoy again,  Is it possible to check records for military service of Carl Christian Theodor Olsen?  I think with the information you folks have given, I can see that he was involved with the military and that he lived in military housing.  It would be helpful to know of his military connection.  Thanks much, LeRoy

Jane C

Deleted a post -