Help with discovering the fate of Betty Johanne Charlotte Rasmussen from Nakskov

Startet af Max Rasmussen, 01 Apr 2012 - 12:37

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Max Rasmussen

There seems to be a mystery surrounding the sister of my Great Grandfather, Betty Johanne Charlotte Rasmussen. The family tree drawn up by my Great Uncle (many years before the internet) does not mention her, although it lists family members of previous generations. It is only recently that I have discovered her existance, but all trace of her disappears after 1897 and no mention is ever made of her in any later family documents.

Betty Johanne Charlotte Rasmussen was born in Nakskov, Lolland on 25th December 1880 to Niels Christian Rasmussen and Jensine Marie Rasmussen (previosly Madsen). She was the forth child of a total of six (but three died in infancy - leaving only Anton, Alexandra and Betty Johanne to survive). I have found details of her Christening (27 Mar 1881) and Confirmation (7 April 1895) both in Naksov. When her father died in 1894, Betty Johanne was made a ward of Bagermester F. Hermansen - a previous employer of her father. By this time the family members separately began to move to Copenhagen, my Great Grandfather Anton Marius Rasmussen going first, then his sister Alexandra Rasmine Kirstine Rasmussen in 1896, to be followed by their mother Jensine Marie by May 1897.

From the København Registeblad I have been able to trace the whereabouts of the individual family members. Jensine Marie although originally living on her own, soon moved in with her daughter and her new husband (they then continued to live as a family unit for the rest of their lives). Betty Johanne however was not with either her mother or sister. The last record we have of Betty Johanne is also from København Registeblad where she is recorded as living in Kvæsthusgade 7 (8th October 1897) listed as the building attendant/concierge (living in the basement), having arrived there via Frederiksberg (where her mother and sister lived). It appears stange that such a young girl would have been living independantly of her other family members. After this point Johanne completely disappears from the record and no trace of her can be found.

Finally on the FT 1901 her mother Jensine Marie (then living in Brohusgade 8) lists that she has four dead children, giving the clue that Johanne had now died. It is also significant that in April 1898 when Alexandra had a baby daughter, she was named Betty - suggesting perhaps a memorial to a much loved sister.

Can any one help with tracing what happened to Betty Johann. Are there any hospital records, that might record her death, or shed some light on her disappearance. Did she not die, but leave Denmark to live elsewhere (as my Great Grandfather did in 1901). Any help or direction anyone can give would be apreciated.
Med venlig hilsen

Max Rasmussen - Norfolk, England

Max Rasmussen

The address of her mother Jensine Marie in FT 1901 should read Brohusgade 8 (Arkivalieronline København, Brohusgade Opslag 60).
Med venlig hilsen

Ruth Steenberg Rasmussen

Hi Ralph

Betty Johanne Charlotte Rasmussen is not living on her own as "portner" but she is serving Portner Larsen who has the flat in the basement.

Livsstilling: Tjp = housemaid

tj=tjener=serving

Usually the informations of living and dead children are reliable, so I think she has died.

mvh
Ruth

Ruth Steenberg Rasmussen

Max Rasmussen

Hej Ruth,

Thank you for the point about profession, I can see now that it is more appropriate that Betty at age 17 would be servant to the "Portner" rather than being the "Portner" herself.

Thanks for your interest.

Happy Easter to you also.

Max
Med venlig hilsen

Rune Stjernholm

Med venlig hilsen,

Rune Stjernholm
Vind pr. Holstebro