Dorthe Pedersdatter

Startet af Marlon Henvit, 20 Dec 2011 - 00:29

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Marlon Henvit

I am attempting to find the birth record of my ancestor Dorthe Pedersdatter. I have her on the 1787 census, Ribe, Skast, Hostrup, Kraunse By, source entry # C4267. She is living with her youngest daughter Maren Hansdatter and her age is given as 47 which puts her birth at 1740. She was married 10 November 1764 to Hans Hansen. This can be seen at Vester Nebel, Skast, Ribe 1755 - 1777 Opslag 37, 2nd column, 1st record. I think she was married previous to this also. The records are very difficult for me to read. I have searched Vester Nebe from 1738 - 1742 for her birth. I have found several Dorthes but can not determine if they are Pedersdatter. Can someone help?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA

John Wrenholt

A quick check of the FamilySearch.org database shows that a Dorthe Pedersen was born on Sep 10, 1741 in Skast, Ribe.  Her father's name is listed as Peder Nielsen.

I found the birth record at:

AO: 1640-1747 Skads Skast, Ribe ops 125 (first item)

I can't be certain that she's the Dorthe that you're looking for but Skads is the parish just south of Vester Nebel so that seems like a possibility.

Also on the marriage record that you listed, Dorthe Pedersen appears to be "af Lunde" and Hans Hansen is "af Kraunse" which is where you found them listed on the census.  Lunde is a placename in Skads or Skast.

I'm not certain that you can be 100% certain that this is the right birth record but it seems like a good place to start.

Ralph Rasmussen

Interestingly, the betrothal from 1764 is in the register 1721-1758, opslag 276.  No hint of a previous marriage there.

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Marlon Henvit

That is interesting Ralph. Am I correct that the 1787 census tells me that Hans Hansen was her 2nd marriage?

John thanks for you input. I will research that possibility. One of my many problems is that I am not familiar enough with the geography of Denmark.

Thanks to you both.

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA

Marlon Henvit

At the birth of Dorthe's first child, Mette Marie Hansdatter which can be found at Hostrup, Skast, Ribe 1721-1802 Opslag 32, 1st column, 2nd record do I see a reference to Schad sogn? Would this help identify the Dorthe that John found as the one I am looking for?

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA

Ralph Rasmussen

The Maren Hansdatter in the 1787 census certainly seems to be the Maren baptized in Hostrup 1721-1802, opslag 39, Annunciation festival 1774, daughter of a Hans Hansen.  The census does say that she is born to Dorthe's second husband.  But Hans Hansens are hardly rare in that era.

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

John Wrenholt

I think that Mette Marie Hansen's family looked like this (assuming there is only 1 Hans Hansen in Kraunse):

Father:  Hans Hansen
Mother: Dorthe Pedersdatter   born AO:  1640-1747 Skads Skast, Ribe ops 125 (first item)
Maternal Grandfather:  Peder Nielsen of Lunde
Maternal Uncle: Niels Pedersen born Jun 12, 1739 in Skast as per FamilySearch
Maternal Aunt: Anne Pedersdatter born May 3, 1744 in Skast as per FamilySearch
Brother: Hans Hansen              born AO: 1721-1802 Hostrup, Skast, Ribe ops 32 (last item)
Brother: Jens Hansen               born AO: 1721-1802 Hostrup, Skast, Ribe ops 36 (first item)
Sister: Maren Hansdatter         born AO:  1721-1802 Hostrup, Skast, Ribe ops 38

The birth record of Mette Marie shows both Anne Pedersdatter of Lunde and Niels Pedersen of Lunde
The birth record of Hans Hansen show Peder Nielsen of Lunde.

Marlon Henvit

John, I am sorry being so slow responding and thanking you for your fine work. I am away from home and just figured out how to respond from my i-Pad. I have another sibling for Mette Marie. Peder born 23 october1768. I guess it is not 100% but it seems likely that your information is the correct family.

Thank you very much.

Marlon Henvit
Reno, Nevada USA