Marie Cathrine Balslev

Startet af Paul Londahl-Smidt, 04 Sep 2011 - 16:22

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Paul Londahl-Smidt

I am looking for the birth of Marie Cathrine Balslev.  I found a baptism in Skt Knud, Odense, Odense on 8 Mar 1703, opslag 175 and 176.  Would someone take a look at this record and see if they can make out the name of the father.  Mange tak.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Ronald Nielson

It would seem correct though hard to read.  Also on Opslag 156 it says the same thing with another daughter named Anne
Ronald Nielson
American, Danish and German ancestor

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Tusind tak Brian og Ronald.  Now to find out where the name Balslev came from.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Trine Nielsen

Hi Paul,

While his name might just say Rasmus Andersen, he could still have the name Balslev as well. The priests didnt always add all the names, or it could be a name he took later on.

There is a city with that name in Odense, maybe he was born there? As many took their birth village names as last names.

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Paul,

From www.krabsen.dk:

Place name - parish - district - county
Balslev Balslev Vends Odense

Lissa

Ronald Nielson

Just another comment.  When I looked in the church book (your reference), I went through about 20-30 pages.  There was another man with the same name, but they listed him with a third distinct name (It was his Occupation).  When they listed your relative they wrote Amtsforvater as the third name.

I cant remember what the other persons occupation was at present, but when I was looking for my family in Horsens, they added names to people in various ways when two people in the parish had the same primary name.

One: they added the occupation to the root name.
Second: they added the part of the village (Or business/farm name) the person was from.
Third: they added the name of the parish that the person came from to the root.

In these ways they were able to keep the logic of these two very similarly named people apart.

Lastly, most of the time I only saw this with the "MAN" on the record.  When I had two young girls with the same name, they made no disctinction in the records.  it was only when I had a record of the small pox vacination date and her subsequent marriage that I could determine which one was in my family and which wasn't.
Ronald Nielson

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Tusind tak Trine, Lissa, og Ronald.  Since FS says that Rasmus Andersen Balslev died in Odense in 1718, I will look at the Skt Knud and vor Frue kirkebogs.  It also says he was born in Balslev in 1658, so I will look there.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Paul Londahl-Smidt

I have found Rasmus Andersen's burial on 11 Nov 1718, opslag 137.  Could anyone translate it for me.  Many thanks.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Please excuse my error.  That should be opslag 737 and not 137.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Inge-Lise Nielsen

Hi Paul Londahl-Smidt,

I can suggest the following translation:

In Danish

Samme Dag blev begravet og nedsat i hans Egen Begravelse ved Fundten i St. Knuds Kirche, Rasmus Andersen, forige Amtsforvalter her i Odense, og blefe Ringet med Alle Klocherne i St. Knuds Kirche, fra og Graabrødre Klocher.
Der blef Prædichen holt over ham af Provste Licentiat N. Bloch

My translation is

On the same day (Nov.11) Rasmus Andersen, previous district revenue officer in Odense, was buried and put down in his own grave at the font in St. Knud's Church and all the bells of St. Knud's Church tolled and so did the bells of the Grey Friars. A funeral sermon was delivered on him by the dean, Licentiate N.Bloch.

Kind regards,  
Inge-Lise Nielsen

Maybe I should add that St. Knud's Church is a cathedral!

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Inge-Lise,

Thank you so much for the translation.  My father was baptized in Skt Knud and my grandparents attended church there.  From the photos of it, it is truly a beautiful church.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Ronald Nielson

Inge-Lise,

Amazing work!  I looked at that record last night and was really struggling so I was going to come back to it this morning.  Seeing your work will now allow me to learn a few more things to look for when reading other text.
Ronald Nielson

Inge-Lise Nielsen

Hej Paul.

Rasmus Andersen's tombstone in St. Knud's Church can be seen here:

www.gravstenogepitafier.dk/odenseknud10.htm

Venlig hilsen

Inge-Lise Nielsen

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Mange tak Inge-Lise.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul