Østersøiske Kompagni

Startet af Roger Nelson, 23 Apr 2023 - 20:08

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Roger Nelson

Søren Jensen b. 1759 and his family lived in Søllerød, Søllerød sogn, Københaven amt after 1808 following service in the Danish Navy as a ships carpenter.  From 1810 to 1818 three of his daughters confirmation records from Søllerød sogn reported that their father was an Enroul Matros for the Østersøiske Kompagni.  I believe Østersøiske Kompagni was a trade company based in Køpenhavn and the name translates as The Baltic Sea Company.

Does anyone have knowledge of the Østersøiske Kompagni?

Inger Buchard

Redaktør på DIS-Wiki

Roger Nelson

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/billedviser?epid=17116049#151594,25197113 

Opslag #127, #469 14 Aug 1801

Soren Jensen's daughter Maren. Holmens Sogn

Sorry, I found I have made a mistake in my notes and it was his daughter's burial and not the confirmations.

Would you translate it for me?  I believe it reads Østersøiske.

Best wishes,
Roger

Inger Buchard

Søren Jensens Enroull. farende for det Østersøiske Cp. Datter
Maren ½ Aar død d. 12. af Kopper fra Caninlængen No. 79 Mod. 32 ß 8 s,

Søren Jensens daughter; [SJ.) drafted [sailor - I think] sailing for Østersøiske Compagnie
Maren ½ year old, died 12th. [August 1801] from smallpocks at Kaninlængen 79 [Mother spent?] 32 skilling, 8 skilling [maybe she paid for ringing the bells and schoolboys' singing?]

The streetname Kaninlængen has long disappeared
1869 Kaninlængen was with Akademigade, Blancogade, Kokkegade and Nellikegade renamed into Fredericiagade

Østersøiske kompagni I don't know it, but
https://tidsskrift.dk/mfs_aarbog/article/download/96217/145067/
English summary at page 65/59
tells that the company was founded 1781 - and only lasted till 1785, Then it was sold to private investors. That's why I'm confused about Søren Jensen being enrolled - i.e. part of the royal navy, as his adress suggests: Kaninlængen was part of Nyboder.

Inger Buchard
Redaktør på DIS-Wiki

Roger Nelson

Inger, Thank you for your help and the information. 

Søren was my 3rd great grandfather. He was an Enroul Matros and Skibstømmermand in the Danish Royal Navy.  I have the information from his Danish Navy records.  He served in the Danish Navy from Aug 1785 to March 1808 when he was court-martialed and dismissed from the Navy for stealing a short length of chain. He and his family had lived at Kaninlængen 79 in the Nyboder Kvarter. After dismissal they moved to Søllerød, København Amt where Sørem continued to work aboard merchant ships.

Navy seaman sometimes did serve in the Danish merchant fleet during peace time but I do not understand why Marens death record from 1801 reports that her father worked for the Østersøiske Compagne in 1801 when the compagne was sold in 1785?

Unless the company that purchased the Østersøiske Co. continued to use the name?

Kindest regards
Roger