Ida Christina Svensdotter, b. 1866 in Sweden

Startet af Becky Johnson, 14 Aug 2011 - 14:51

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Becky Johnson

Ida Christina Svensdotter was born 2 October 1866 in Torsås, Kalmar Län, Sweden. Her parents were Sven Olsson and Cecilia Persdotter.

In 1893 Ida left Torsås and moved to Denmark. I'd very much like to find out what became of Ida. Did she marry in Denmark and have a family?

Eva Morfiadakis

Hi Becky,

I assume you are Swedish since you have got å-å-ö on your computer.
Visit ddd.dda.dk and look at Invandrede if she settled at western Själland or Lolland. If she is not there, click Folketællinger. Search in "flere amter".
If you don't find her there,  almost no way of finding her in Denmark. Try to obtain bouppteckning (probate) of her parents if they died after she emigrated. The probates might give an address in Denmark and her married name.
If she settled in Copenhagen and didn't marry you may find her on politietsregisterblade.dk
If she married, you probably won't find her there,  since women were registered on their husbands' records.
Don't forget to look at Ida Christina/Christine/Kirstine Svensson/Svensen. The Swedish surnames were often written in Danish way.

Eva M
Eva M

Becky Johnson

Thank you very much for your help, Eva, I really appreciate it. I'll try searching the sources you listed.

I actually live in Canada. When Ida moved to Denmark in 1893 she left her young son in the care of an older married sister in Torsås. At age 17 he immigrated to Canada and he never heard anything more about his mother.

Do you have any advice for searching Swedish probate records? Both of Ida's parents died by 1890 but maybe her sister or brother-in-law left wills.

Eva Morfiadakis

Sorry, Becky. I thought you preferred to write in English instead of Swedish.

Since Ida's parents died before 1893 their probates are of no use. If Ida's older sister had children, the children inherited her, and Ida is not mentioned in her probate. If Ida had an unmarried sister or brother who died after 1893,  she may be mentioned in his or her probate.

It may be tricky to find her in Denmark if she stayed there. Are you quite sure she never returned to Sweden? There is a Swedish census in 1900. Have you checked?

Eva M
Eva M

Becky Johnson

Thank you for that info, Eva. I don't think Ida had any unmarried siblings so searching probate records would likely not help.

Unfortunately Ida doesn't seem to have returned to Sweden. In 1900 her son was living in Torsås with his aunt and uncle, his cousins and another foster child. He emigrated in 1906 and a cousin joined him in Canada in 1908. I've also searched in Canada and the US for Ida in case she emigrated but I've had no luck finding her there either.

Thank you again for your help!

Eva Morfiadakis

Becky,
I checked the Danish emigration records. I also thought she might have gone to the USA for instance. I searched the names Ida Christina or Ida Christine. Swedish female names usually end with an a whereas Danish names end with an e. Swedish names were often written in the Danish way. I couldn't find her.

Eva M
Eva M

Svend Aage Hansen

Hi Becky,

I was looking in Swedish sources after Ida Christina and her family.
I found nothing news about her but maybee someting from her siblings you can use.

Post 336839
Svensdotter, Ida Christina
Piga (unmarried woman)
b. 10/2/1866 in Torsås, Kalmar län (Småland)
Emigrated 4/1/1893
from Karsbo 1, Torsås, Kalmar län (Småland)
to Danmark
Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 146
Emibas migration file ID: Torsås H 1893 032

These was at least 8 children in the family in Torsås, 5 boys and 3 girls.
These 2 emigrated to Amerika.

Olaus Svensson b. 8/8 1849. To Amerika 12/3 1892 and 17/4 1902.
Holger Svensson b. 1/1 1852. To North Amerika 22/3 1893.

Post 336490
Svensson, Olaus
Arbetare (married man)
b. 8/8/1849 in Torsås, Kalmar län (Småland)
Emigrated 3/12/1892
from Vetlycke 1, Torsås, Kalmar län (Småland)
to Nordamerika
Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 41
Emibas migration file ID: Torsås H 1892 011

17/4 1875 Olaus was married to Lydia Maria Svensson b. 22/9 1854. dead 22/3 1888.
They had 4 children.
Alma Maria b. ?/11 1877. To Amerika 24/3 1893. Back to Torsås 29/9 1898.
Elemina Charlotta b. 6/9 1880
Sven Alrik b. 8/11 1882. To Amerika 23/4 1897
Ernst Gottfrid b. 5/1 1888

He married a widow, Elise Petersson b. 25/9 1866 in Torsås.
They married 31/12 1890
He came back to Torsås 30/12 1895.

Post 337951
Svensson, Olaus
Arbetarson (unmarried man)
b. 8/8/1849 in Torsås, Kalmar län (Småland)
Emigrated 4/17/1902
from Vetlycke, Torsås, Kalmar län (Småland)
to Amerika
Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 357
Emibas migration file ID: Torsås H 1902 036

Post 336829
Svensson, Holger
Arbetare (married man)
b. 1/1/1852 in Torsås, Kalmar län (Småland)
Emigrated 3/22/1893
from Brändabo, Torsås, Kalmar län (Småland)
to Nordamerika
Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 102
Emibas migration file ID: Torsås H 1893 021

He was married to Helena Karlsdotter b. 13/6 1857 in Torås,
They had together 6 sons and 1 daughter.
She meigrated 10 years later with 2 sons, Oskar Fridolf Emanuel b. 17/7 1890 and Josef Vigart Efraim b. 24/11 1893

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
MVH
Svend Aage Hansen
Sverige

Becky Johnson

Thank you very much for this information, Svend!

Some of it is new to me and it will be very helpful in my research!

Eva Morfiadakis

Becky, I looked at the information Svend-Aage sent you. Tried to find Holger Svensson and his family in the USA but couldn't. Therefore I wonder if they didn't go to Canada but I couldn't find them there either.
The vicar (or his clerk) just wrote Amerika or Nordamerika in the church book. Usually when people (mostly old people) say "he went to America" they mean the US. I think North Amerika could be both US and Canada.
Perhaps Ida's son went to live with his uncle. My grand-father b. in 1878 once told us that he thought of going to Canada around 1900. They needed labour in the Canadian woods.

Eva M
Eva M

Becky Johnson

I wasn't able to find a record of Holger either, in the US or Canada, but I'll keep searching. He probably changed his name somewhat, which can often make it a bit difficult to track down immigrants!

I appreciate the help I've received from you and Svend! :)

Homer Ficken

Holger Svensson 41 arrived New York from Liverpool 26 April 1893 on ship Nevada.   With him was Alma Olsdotter 15, probably Olaus' daughter?  They were listed from "Calmar" and their destination Lamont, Illinois (probably Lemont, near Chicago).   But I don't find Holger anywhere in the 1900 census, so perhaps he also returned to Sweden?

Lass? Svensson 43 arrived New York from Queenstown, Ireland 26 March 1892 on ship City of Chicago. His destination was Minnesota.

Olaus Svensson 52 arrived New York from Liverpool 3 May 1902 on ship Celtic.  His destination was Boston and he listed nearest relative as his father Olaus Svensson.

I don't find Olaus in US censuses either.
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Irene Christoffersen

Mvh
Irene Christoffersen
Hillerød

Eva Morfiadakis

You find the wedding in
Vor Frelserns kirke image 66, 1897-1903

The groom is:
Bachelor Jöns Hansson, coachman
Prinsessegade 3 C, groundfloor
born in Sweden May 25, 1869, son of
Laborer Hans Nielsen and his wife Hanna Jönsson in Sweden.
Witnesses are Garment dealer L.C. Larsen, Vildersgade 11A, groundfloor, and Retail dealer Th. Jensen, Prisessegade 22.
The brid is her all right.

Eva M
Eva M

Irene Christoffersen

Hi Becky

Do you know the site where you are able to find all the church records for
the whole family?

http://www.sa.dk/ao/
Mvh
Irene Christoffersen
Hillerød

Eva Morfiadakis

In Census 1901 Copenhagen
Prinsessegade, image 12 you find the family. They have the daughter Hansine born already in 1897 Feb. 8.

Eva M
Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

The information I wrote I found on that site.

It says she died on Amager in 1950 which is an island within Copenhagen. There are several parishes on that island. Probably the person who made the family tree didn't know the exact parish but just said Amager. Besides most of the parishes on Amager don't have deaths in 1950 but stop in 1948.

Eva M
Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sfup&controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=1359622&limitstart=0

P.E. means that Jøns was wanted by the police in 1914.

Here the eldest child is named Emma Hansine and born in 1896. The family tree says Irene.

Eva M

Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

The eldest daughter was born in Sundby, Copenhagen 8 Feb. 1897 as Erine Hansine (Jönsson - crossed out) Hansen to Laborer Hans Hansen/sson and (wife - crossed out) unmarried Ida Kristine Svensson.

Sundby 1896-1897 födte, image 223. The child was christened in Vor Frelser Kirke on Jan. 21, 1900.
Parents married on Jan. 14, 1900. The entry is a bit messy.

http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sfup&controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=83688&limitstart=10

Eva M
Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

This is the younger daughter Anna Edith Cecilie born in 1902.

http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sfup&controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=1353367&limitstart=0

In Census 1921, Copenhagen, Søndervoldstræde, Store, image 3 you find the family.

Eva M
Eva M

Eva Morfiadakis

If you click on the daughters' names you find their descendents. Some of them have surnames which I  believe are not very common in Denmark. There is a person born in 1934 with no date of death. I therefore assume he is still alive. He is a grandchild of Ida's.
If you write the first part of the link www.stobbe.org there is an email-adress to the creator of the family tree. Maybe he can bring you in touch with living relatives.

Eva M

Sorry the one born in 1934 has a common name Hans Johansen.

Eva M

Irene Christoffersen

Hi Becky

Below  is the email address shown on the front page of the site with the family tree. You might further try to find some of the "legaards" on the net on facebook . It seems that there are probably  several living decendants. Good luck to you.

per@stobbe.dk
Mvh
Irene Christoffersen
Hillerød

Eva Morfiadakis

Oda Marie Hansson was born on 9 Dec., 1903, image 159 Vor Frelser 1903-1907.

You find the whole family in Christianshavns Voldgade in Census 1906, image 41. It says that Hans and Ida came from Taarnby (on Amager) in 1897. It's a little bit peculiar that the eldest daughter born in 1897 in Sundby (also on Amager) is said to have moved to Copenhagen in 1900. Perhaps she was in fostercare before joining her parents.

Eva M
Eva M

Becky Johnson

Thank you to everyone for ALL of the above information and records!!

I'm so pleased that you have been able to find Ida and her family for me.

It will take me awhile to go through the info and the records but it's great to know that Ida married and had more children and grandchildren.

The links and the tips for finding living relatives are very helpful and all very much appreciated!

Becky