Højslev, Viborg

Startet af Thomas Jensen, 10 Aug 2011 - 10:56

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Thomas Jensen

Help please to find the marriage of Jens Sørensen (Vinkel 1688-1757) to Maren?
According to the IGI they were married about 1714 Højslev, Viborg.

I have searched the AOL 1709-1737 Lundø Fjends from 1709 - 1716 ops 3 -15 but I dont seem able to find them, nor the the birth of their daughter Karen who, also according to the IGI was born 1715 Vinkel, Højslev.
I have also looked through Dommerbye ops 70-75 & Lundø ops 94-100 without any luck.

I have found the births of 3 of their children.
Maren ops 22
Søren ops 26
Poul ops 41

Is there anyone who could assist me in this?
Regards,
Tommy Jensen. U.K.
Interests: Lovns Area, Aalborg. Gassum area, Randers. Højslev, Lundø, Vinkel areas, Vib.
Skane area, Sweden.
Bertelsens, Utah. U.S.A.

Ole Westermann

Hi Thomas

You write
the birth of their daughter Karen who, also according to the IGI was born 1715 Vinkel, Højslev.

It's probably her who is baptized Dom.Oculi (March 24) at ops.13 bottom, but the name of the child is not mentioned.
Jens Sørensen in Vinkel is first mentioned in the book as a 'fadder' at ops.11 on Apr.8,1714.
And I didn't find their marriage either in Højslev or the neighbouring parishes.

Ole

Thomas Jensen

Regards,
Tommy Jensen. U.K.
Interests: Lovns Area, Aalborg. Gassum area, Randers. Højslev, Lundø, Vinkel areas, Vib.
Skane area, Sweden.
Bertelsens, Utah. U.S.A.

Thomas Jensen

Is the name of Jens Sørensens wife mentioned anywhere?
Regards,
Tommy Jensen. U.K.
Skane area, Sweden.
Bertelsens, Utah. U.S.A.

Ole Westermann

I havn't seen her name. Do you have any information about their death/burial ?

Thomas Jensen

Info of the death of Jens. 30 Oct 1759. AOL: 1737-1785. Lundø. Op 295.

Other info from the IGI. Birth of Karen Jensdatter. About 1713  Hojslev, Viborg, Denmark.

Father:  Jens Sorensen 
Mother:  Mrs. Maren Sorensen 

Karen Jensdatter. Christening:  24 MAR 1715   Hojslev, Viborg, Denmark

Parents. Father:  Jens Sorensen 
Mother:  Mrs. Jens 

I hope this is of use to you Ole.

Regards,
Tommy Jensen. U.K.
Skane area, Sweden.
Bertelsens, Utah. U.S.A.

Ole Westermann

I also found the burial of Jens Sørensen at ops.295 on Oct.30,1757, age 69, so he was born abt 1688-89.
At the same 'opslag' is the burial of Espen Sørensen from Vinchel, age 67; I think that it's his brother.
At ops.280 top is the burial of Jens Sørensens mother (no name or age) on Dec.23,1746. I havn't been able yet to find the burial of his father (first name Søren).

I found the confirmation of Jens Sørensen's children Maren (1737,ops.413), Søren (1739,ops.417) and Povel (1746,ops.423). The confirmations in Denmark started in 1736, so his eldest daughter Karen was too old at that time, but she is seen several times as 'fadder' at baptisms, probably as carrier of the christening cap (often done by young girls/women).

Ole

Thomas Jensen

Thanks for all the info that you keep finding for me Ole. It is much appreciated.

I found the death of Søren Espersen (abt 1659 - 1720 in Op 25 AOL. 1709-1737 Lundø.
Regards,
Tommy Jensen. U.K.
Skane area, Sweden.
Bertelsens, Utah. U.S.A.

Ole Westermann

Tommy,

I think you are right about Søren Espersen as the father !
Take a look at this site:
http://www.dis-danmark.dk/dis-arkiv/Medldok/LFL/Fjends%20h.,%20Staarupgaard%20gods,%20f%E6steprotokol%201719-1801.htm
According to this copyhold register ('fæsteprotokol') from the nearby estate Skaarupgaard the 3 brothers
Jens, Esper and Thomas Sørensen take over the copyhold of a farm in Vinchel on May 1,1719. It is probably
after their father Søren Espersen/Espensen, who is old (and is buried Nov.3,1720).
At the same date Niels Espersen also takes over a copyhold of a farm in Vinchel. He could either be a younger
brother to Søren Espersen or married to a sister of the 3 brothers. He is several times seen as 'fadder' at baptisms
in the family. In 1710 he has his daughter Kirsten baptized (ops.4).

Thomas Sørensen was buried Feb.28,1751 at the age of 51 (ops.285), so he was born c.1700-01, Jens born c.1688-89 and Esper born c.1690-91.
This could indicate, that their mothers surname was Jensdatter.

At ops.27 (1709-37) bottom left Espen Sørensens son Jens is baptized, and about the 'faddere' is written:
Test: Inger Vogensdatter, J(ens)
Sørensens Kone (wife) Maren i Vinchel
, etc
So here the name of Jens Sørensen's wife is mentioned !

Best regards
Ole

Thomas Jensen

Wow! You have been busy Ole. Thanks to you, I have quite a bit to keep me busy for a while now.

That is a very interesting link that you sent me.

Once again my grateful thanks come to you.
Regards,
Tommy Jensen. U.K.
Skane area, Sweden.
Bertelsens, Utah. U.S.A.

Ole Westermann

Tommy,

I've found the betrothal and marriage of Jens Sørensen !
And it was not a Maren, he married !

Viborg, Fjends, Borris parish 1688-1813:
ops.109: Anno 1711 (betrothal)
Festo Johannis Baptistae er Jens Sørensøn af Vinchel trolo-
vet med Kirsten Povelsdaatter af Fuusager, Forlove-
re ere Hans Pedersøn af Lild Torup og Søren Esper-
søn af Vinchel
ops.117: Anno 1711 (marriage)
Dominica XXIV, som indfalt den 15 Novembr, hafde Jens Søresøn af
Vinchel Bryllup med Kirsten Povelsdaatter af Fuusager

Fusager/Fuusager is not lying in Borris parish, but in the nabour parish Gammelstrup.
So Kirsten Povelsdatter's family must be searched in Gammelstrup p.
JS & KP don't get any children baptized in either Borris or Gammelstrup parish before 1715.
More about KP's possible parents later.

Ole

Ole Westermann

... and here is something interesting and dramatic to the family cronicle:
I found in the Højslev churc book 1709-37:

opslag 55:
1732 d:28 Decembr er Maren Pedersdatter af Vinchel begravet, dog sat i aaben grav i
anledning af Loven, saasom mand hafde Niels Espersens Hustrue ibid nafnlig Maren
Pedersdatter og deris Søn Esper Nielsen suspect, at de ved gift hende skulde havt ombragt,
som og omsider fandtis saadant, der de effter langvarig arrest d: 6 Febr 1733 giorde deres
Bekiendelse paa Skaarupgaard.

Translation:
1732 d.28.December Maren Pedersdatter af Vinchel was buried, yet put into an open grave
according to the law, as Niels Espersens wife by the name Maren Pedersdatter and their son
Esper Nielsen were suspected to have killed her with poison, which since was verified after
they during longlasting imprisonment on Febr.6,1733 made their confession on Skaarupgaard.
(These 2 Maren Pedersdatter are of course 2 different persons)

opslag 56:
1733 d: 10 Martii bleve forbemeldte Esper Nielsen af Vinchel og hans Moder Maren
Pedersdatter paa Vinchel Heede for deris Misgierning henrettede; de begge bleve decollerede
med en Øxse, mens deris Kroppe dog, effter Dommerens Formildelse ved Landzting, bleve
nedsatte i Høyslef Kirkegaard.

Translation:
1733 d 10 March above-mentioned Esper Nielsen from Vinchel and his mother Maren
Pedersdatter on Vinchel Moor fore their misdeed executed; they were both decapitated with an
axe, while their bodies yet after appeasement from the judge at the High Court were buried at
Højslev cemetary.

So this also tells us, that Niels Espersen with great probability is a brother to Søren Espersen.

Ole

Ole Westermann

Tommy,

.... and more about KP's possible parents later.

In Fusager i Gammelstrup parish were 2 persons with first name Povel:
1. Povel Christensen who was married to Maren Nielsdatter (buried 23.8.1722, age 79)
2. Povel Davidsen (burial not found*) who was married to Karen Andersdatter (buried Jan.3,1700, age 55, ops.173).
    So Karen Andersdatter was born c.1645.
    They fit perfectly to be the parents of Jens Sørensen & Kirsten Povelsdatter's children Karen and Povel !

At ops.11 is the baptism of Jens Povelsen's son Anders. He was carried by the wife (Anna Andersdatter) of
Christen Davidsen, who probably is a brother to Povel Davidsen. 'Faddere' are Povel Davidsen, Niels Povelsen
and Maren Povelsdatter.
This strongly indicates that Jens Povelsen is a brother to Kirsten Povelsdatter, while Niels and Maren might
be it. But they could also be children of Povel Christensen.

At ops.174 Povel Davidsen's son David is buried on Apr.13,1705 in his 32.year (born c.1673-74).
So Povel Davidsen & Karen Andersdatter probably got married c.1670-72.

At ops. 183 is the burial of Christen Davidsen from Fusager on July 5,1731 age 88 (born c.1643)
*In the burial register in Gammelstrup is a remarcable lack of records from Jan.3,1700 until Jul.9,1702, so
  maybe Povel Davidsen died during this period ? And that's the reason why their daughter Kirsten was not
  married there (both parents dead) ?!

Best regards
Ole

Thomas Jensen

Many, many thanks Ole.
Regards,
Tommy Jensen. U.K.
Skane area, Sweden.
Bertelsens, Utah. U.S.A.

Ole Westermann

Correction:

2. Povel Davidsen (burial not found*) who was married to Karen Andersdatter (buried Jan.3,1700, age 55, ops.173).
    So Karen Andersdatter was born c.1645.
    They fit perfectly to be the grandparents of Jens Sørensen & Kirsten Povelsdatter's children Karen and Povel !

Ole

Thomas Jensen

Regards,
Tommy Jensen. U.K.
Skane area, Sweden.
Bertelsens, Utah. U.S.A.

Marc Andersen

Hi Thomas and Ole.

I'm finding this thread quite interesting, as I, myself, am a descendant of Povel Jensen (1728-1798), the youngest son of Kiersten and Jens.

According to my "research", I believe Kiersten is a daughter of Povel Christensen and his wife Anne.

Some information to support the claim:

In 1759 Kiersten Povelsdatter dies in Vinkel:
"18 Nov. Poul Jensens Moder i Vinchel Begravet 74 år" (Højslev-Dommerby-Lundø, 1737-1785, ops. 298)
"18 Nov. Poul Jensens mother in Vinchel buried 74 år"

That would make her born about 1685, but doesn't really help much in finding her parents

Poul Christensen (of Fusager, Gammelstrup sogn) had a brother, Peder Christensen, who lived in Lille Tårup, Borris sogn. In 1702, he was murdered by his nephew Niels Povelsen!!

From the churchbook:
"1702 D: 6 Januar blev Peder Christensøn i Lild Torup u=forsvarrendis ihielslåt/ihielsköd(?) i sin egen Hus af sin egen Broder=Søn Niels Povelsøn af Fuusagerr, og blev begraven D. 24 Dito, i hans alders 52 år." (Borris 1688-1813, ops. 216).

"1702 the 6th of January Peder Christenson in Lille Tårup was indefensibly slain/shot to death(?) in his own house, by his own brothers son, Niels Povelson of Fusager, and was buried the 24th, 52 years of age."

And later on the judgement:

"Dominica Elaudi D:28 Maji blef Povel Christensøns Søn Niels Povelsøn af Fuusager publice absolveret, hand hafde forført sig imod det 5te bud, i det han uforsvaredig ihielskeød sin egen fader=Broder Peder Christensøn i Lild Torup paa H:tre Kongersdag D: 6 Jan fadst Afvigto.

?? ?? ?? Persona ?? ?? til Gammelstrup Sogn."
(Borris 1688-1813, ops. 226).

"Dominica Elaudi the 28th of May the son of Povel Christenson, Niels Povelson of Fusager was sentenced, he had violated the 5th command as he indefensibly had shot to death his own fatherbrother Peder Christensen of Lille Tårup on Epiphany: the 6th of January fadst Afvigto..."

I can't read the last part, but most likely he was decapitated
(Edit: A Niels Povelsen figures in the churchbook for Gammelstrup in the 1720es, so I guess (if that be him) he wasn't sentenced to death after all).

Anyway, Poul Christensen had family in Lille Tårup. That would explain why Kiersten was living there at the time of            her betrothal.
      Also, Hans Pedersen of Lille Tårup (c 1681-1751) who acts as best man, is most likely the son of Peder Christensen.
      He would then be Kiersten's cousin.

I hope this could help.
Marc

Thomas Jensen

Thank you for this information Marc. It's very interesting & intriguing.
I can't wait for the next instalment!
Regards,
Tommy Jensen. U.K.
Skane area, Sweden.
Bertelsens, Utah. U.S.A.

Thomas Jensen

I have noticed in rare instances that a cross is drawn at the side of a death entry. For example. Lundø 1709-1737 Op56 & Lundø 1737-1785 OP 270. What does this signify?
Regards,
Tommy Jensen. U.K.
Skane area, Sweden.
Bertelsens, Utah. U.S.A.

Ole Westermann

In the first case both had been executed with an axe and in the second case he had hung himself, so they could probably not be buried normally inside the cemetary. They were buried outside.

Thomas Jensen

Regards,
Tommy Jensen. U.K.
Skane area, Sweden.
Bertelsens, Utah. U.S.A.

Ole Westermann

Remarks to Marc's contribution:
You write:
According to my "research", I believe Kiersten is a daughter of Povel Christensen and his wife Anne.
Povel Christensen was married to Maren Nielsdatter, see ops.19 in Gammelstrup (1688-1813)

Further I read the extracts from the church books:
"1702 d: 6 Januarii blef Peder Christensøn i Lild
Torup u-forvarendis ihielskut i sin egen Stue af
sin egen Broder-Søn Niels Povelsøn af Fuusager, og
blev begraven d: 24 dito, i hans alders 51 Aar."
(Borris 1688-1813, ops. 216).

"1702 the 6th of January Peder Christensøn in Lille
Torup was unintensionally shot to death in his own house by
his own brothers son, Niels Povelsøn of Fusager, and
was buried the 24th, in his 52. year"

"Dominica Exaudi d:28 Maji blef Povel Christensøns Søn Niels
Povelsøn af Fuusager publice absolveret, hand hafde forseet sig imod det 5te
Bud, i det han uforvarendis ihielskiød sin egen Fader-Broder
Peder Christensøn i Lile Torup paa H:Tre Kongers Dag d: 6 Januarii
sidst afvigte".

"Dominica Exaudi the 28th of May the son of Povel Christenson, Niels
Povelson of Fusager got public absolution, he had offended the 5th
Command as he unintentionally had shot to death his own father-brother*        *paternal uncle
Peder Christensen of Lille Torup on Epiphany: the 6th of January
'last' year"

"Disse for 6te (bud) tvende Personer henhører til Gammelstrup Sogn." (Borris 1688-1813, ops. 226)
This line relates to notification below (for 1711)

As Niels Povelsens killing at his uncle happened unintentionally, he c.5 months later got
public absolution in the church, so he was not sentenced for murder and excecuted.
He also gets several children baptized in Gammelstrup. He was married to Maren Nielsdatter,
who was buried 21.okt.1713, 26 years 9 months old. He marries again and get several more children (1715-16-17-19).

Some further notes: ( ~ = marries)
Gammelstrup:
Anne Povelsdatter ~ Simon Pedersen fra Kvols 11.feb.1703.
In Kvols (ops.31) i 1716 their daughter Karen is baptized, and she is carried by Kirsten Povelsdatter from Vinchel !
This strongly indicates, that Anne and Kirsten are sisters !

Johanne Povelsdatter ~ Jep Sørensen fra Kvosted i Tårup sogn 1.maj 1707.
Johanne is a daughter of Povel Davidsen (see betrothal 27.march,
Chr.Davidsen is sponsor, which indicates, that Povel Davidsen is dead)
Afterwards they are not seen in Tårup parish. Where they live is unknown.

There is also in Gammelstrup another Jep Sørensen,
who probably is an older person.
This Jep Sørensen (the older) is first married to Maren Povelsdatter,
probably a daughter of Povel Christensen, as he 3 times is 'fadder' at baptisms of JS & MP's children,
1692 (Karen),1695 (Maren),1697 (Søren)
og 1705 (Jens).
Maren Povelsdatter was buried June 1, 1705, 40 y 5 m old, i.e. born c. 1665-66.
This Jep Sørensen marries again 26.sep.1706 in Smollerup to Anne Nielsdtr of Smollerup and get several children with her.

Jens Povelsen ~ Maren Jensdatter 14.nov.1697
At the baptism of the son Anders 16.sep.1698 he is carried by Christen Davidsens wife Anna Andersdatter, and
'faddere' are Povel Davidsen, Niels Povelsen and Maren Povelsdatter.
This indicates, that JP is a son of Povel Davidsen.
'Normally' their first son should be called Povel or Jens. Why was he called Anders ? Eventually the mother could be a widow after a man Anders ......, but he could also be named after the fathers grandfather Anders ......

Niels Povelsen is a son of Povel Christensen. He was buried 11.nov.1759, 79 years old, i.e. born c.1680.

Anders Povelsen ~ Johanne Christensdatter from Sønder Ørum 11.okt.1716 i Ørum sogn (ops.146)
He is often seen along with Niels Povelsen in the church book of Gammelstrup. And maybe you could think,
that they were brothers. But i more believe that he is a son of Povel Davidsen & Karen Andersdatter, and that he
got his name from his mothers father. Remember that Fusager was a very small society with c. 5 farms, and many of
inmates shared these farms. So they lived close to each other.

Jens Sørensen and Kirsten Povelsdatter got the children Karen, Maren, Søren og Povel. Unfortunately we don't know the name
of Søren Espensens wife, so it can be uncertain, after who the daughters are named. 
But if Kirsten Povelsdatter's parents are Povel Davidsen & Karen Andersdatter, it fits perfectly with the 'normal name-rule'.
But if the name of Søren Espensen's wife was Karen, then Kirsten's parents also could be Povel Christensen & Maren Nielsdatter.

I didn't find the burial of Povel Christensen (maybe he died 1700-02 ?), but in 1710 his wife Maren Nielsdatter is mentioned
as carrier of a child with the designation 'Povel Christensøns Hustru (wife)'.
Maren Nielsdatter first dies in 1722, so if Kirsten Povelsdatter should be her daughter, why does Kirsten then
get married in Borris and not in Gammelstrup ??

And therefore I believe, that Kirsten is a daughter of Povel Davidsen & Karen Andersdatter !

Ole

Thomas Jensen

Many thanks for the update Ole.
It is much appreciated.
Regards,
Tommy Jensen. U.K.
Skane area, Sweden.
Bertelsens, Utah. U.S.A.

Ole Westermann

Thomas sent me the files from Viborg Landstings Dombog 1731-36, arkivsignatur-lb.nr: B24-585.
If they might have someones interest, I'll also put them here.
My reading and translation is:

(1733)
       Landsting dend 25.Februarii -
Præsent: Justitz Raad Reenberg  F Sehested
       og Matthiis Thestrup. -
P: Fri.....de? Holch til Starupgaard  Contr(a)
    Delinqventer Anne Pedersdatter og Søn
    Espen Nielsen. -
Eftersom de tvende Delinqventer Moderen Anne
Pedersdatter og Søn Espen Nielsen baade
for Birketinget saavelsom her for Landstings Rætten
tilstaar, at det Forgift dend ombragte Maren Peders
datter døde af, var af dennem hende tilbragt udi
Meelgrød, og af Peder Brøndums Kramboedreng i
Schive Espen Nielsen solt, thi bør de efter
Loven have dered Hals, Hovederne fra
Kroppen med en Øxe at fraskilles, og nyder Skarp-
Rætteren for Executionen paa dem begge 16 Rdl. Midlertiid, som
deres Forsæt icke har været at dræbe Maren Pedersdatter,
saa kand deres Legemer udi Kirkegaarden needsettes, og skeer
Executionen paa dend sted som Sagsøgeren forlanger det at skee,
hendes Tiltale i det øvrige forbeholden til den som Forgiftet
solte, og dend indstefnte Birketings Dom saaledes ved magt at
stande. -

Translation:

Landsting* the 25th February              * 'regional high court'
Judges: Councellor Reenberg  F Sehested
      and Matthiis Thestrup. -
Procecutor: 'Baron?' Holch to Starupgaard against
  Delinquents Anne Pedersdatter and son
                  Espen Nielsen. -
As the two delinquents the mother Anne
Pedersdatter and son Espen Nielsen both
at the Birketing** as here at the Landsting Court    ** 'local court'
confess, that the poison that put Maren Peders
datter to death, was given by them to her into
meal porridge, and by Peder Brøndums smallware assistent in
Skive sold to Espen Nielsen, therefore de ought to according to
the law have their neck, the heads from
the body with an axe to be separated, and the execu-
tioner for the execution of them both receive 16 Rdl. However, as
it was not their intention to kill Maren Pedersdatter,
their bodies can be put down on the cemetary, and 'happens'
the execution at the place where the plaintiff demands it to happen,
her indictment moreover reserved to the one who 'the poison
sold'***, and the summoned Birketing's sentence in this way is
affirmed. -

*** unclear to me what this means

Notice that Espen Nielsen's mother here is named Anne Pedersdatter, while she in the files from Højslev church book is called Maren Pedersdatter.

mvh Ole

Thomas Jensen

Regards,
Tommy Jensen. U.K.
Skane area, Sweden.
Bertelsens, Utah. U.S.A.