Denmark or Prussia?

Startet af Pip Peck, 19 Maj 2014 - 22:03

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Pip Peck

After Prussia conquered Slesvig, whisch country did Slesvig belong to? Was it Prussia or occupied Denmark?
Pip (New Zealand)

Norsewood Cemetery Project
www.norsewoodcemetery.co.nz

Ole Westermann

What period of time are you talking about ?

Inger Buchard

After Prussia conquered Denmark 1864 Schleswig got under the rule of Prussia.
Denmark wasn't occupied that long, the troups had to leave Denmark by December 1864.

After 1920 the northern part of Schleswig became a part of Denmark

Inger
Redaktør på DIS-Wiki

Pip Peck

Thank you for your interest.

I'm really trying to work out where my gt grandfather, Christian Leonhard ANDERSEN, was born (ie, name of country).

According to The Cyclopedia of New Zealand (1906), he "was born on the 12th of October, 1866, at Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. He afterwards removed to Schelde..."

We don't actually know precisely where he was born, but believe it was likely he was born somewhere in Schleswig. His mother, Magdalene CLAUSEN, was born 27 May 1829 at Dybbøl, Sønderborg (chr. 04 Jun 1829). His father, Christian ANDERSEN, was born 24 Sep 1823 at Østerballe, Broager, Nybøl, Sønderborg (chr. 03 Oct 1823 at Broager).

It is possible the family was displaced at the time of the 1864 invasion, and may have previously lived near Magdalene's parents at Dybbøl.

I realise that Prussia was part of the German Confederation, but wondered if it would be more accurate to say he was probably born in "Schleswig, Prussia" (since Prussia didn't become "Germany" until WWII under Adolf Hitler).
Pip (New Zealand)

Inger Toudal

https://www.slaegtogdata.dk/forum/index.php/topic,79995.0.html

In the death record of the father 3 Jul. 1881, Christian Leonhard is said to be living with his mother.

According to his confirmation record 10 Apr. 1881 in Sønderborg, Nybøl, Broager 1847-1906, Opslag 192, No 22,
he was born in Schelde. His father was Bohlsmann, i.e. farmer. The record is in German.

His birth record is in Broager 1857-1876, Opslag 251, No 116, and in Broager 1865-1887, Opslag 14, right hand page, No 116. The records are in Danish. At the time of his birth, the family was living in Vandstedbæk near Skjelle. The father's occupation was Bolsmand, i.e. farmer.

I suppose it's correct to say that Christian Leonhard's birth place was in Schleswig(-Holstein), Prussia, as the Peace of Prague, in which Prussia annexed both Schleswig and Holstein, was signed 23 Aug. 1866.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Schleswig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_of_Prague_%281866%29

Best regards,
Inger Toudal
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Pip Peck

Inger, you have made my day! Thank you for answering my question AND finding my gt grandfather's records.
Pip (New Zealand)

Inge Nissen

Schelde, Skjelle = Skelde in Broager Parish

Ivar Kjærgaard

Hi Philippa

About Prussia/Germany, You should read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany#German_Confederation_and_Empire

Quote: " After the French defeat in the Franco-Prussian War, the German Empire was proclaimed in 1871 in Versailles, uniting all scattered parts of Germany except Austria (Kleindeutschland, or "Lesser Germany"). Unqoute.

Kind regards
-ivar

Pip Peck

Thank you, Inge. That helps clarify the meaning.
Pip (New Zealand)

Pip Peck

Thank you, Ivar. I knew nothing of the history of Denmark/Prussia/Germany, but am trying to sort through some of it. This is helpful.
Pip (New Zealand)

Pip Peck

I'm confused! I took another look at the following records for Christian Leonhard ANDERSEN, and realised that there appears to be a discrepancy in the christening/baptism date:

Confirmation: 10 Apr. 1881 in Sønderborg, Nybøl, Broager 1847-1906, Opslag 192, No 22.
  b: 12 Oct 1866
  chr: 19 Nov 1866

Birth (1): Broager 1857-1876, Opslag 251, No 116

Birth (2): Broager 1865-1887, Opslag 14, right hand page, No 116
  chr: 14 Nov 1866

Do you think this is just a transcription error, or could there be some other explanation?
Pip (New Zealand)

Peter Paluszewski

Hi Phillippa,

You are right about the discrepancy. It is probably just a transcription error between the two books.

Regards,
Peter

Pip Peck

Thank you for your response, Peter.

A discrepancy isn't helpful!
Pip (New Zealand)

Pip Peck

There are 2 records for the birth/baptism of Christian Leonhard ANDERSEN. Is there any way of knowing which book was the original and which was the transcription?

Citat fra: Pip Peck Dato 21 Maj 2014 - 22:27
Birth (1): Broager 1857-1876, Opslag 251, No 116

Birth (2): Broager 1865-1887, Opslag 14, right hand page, No 116
  chr: 14 Nov 1866
Pip (New Zealand)

Inger Toudal

Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Pip Peck

Thank you Inger! Given that there is a discrepancy in the baptism date, is there anything about these books that would indicate which is the original/correct date?

Also, which language(s) are these written in?
Pip (New Zealand)

Inger Toudal

In two books (one of them is the main book, kept by the vicar), the baptism date is recorded as being 19 Nov. 1866,
so I would consider that as the correct date.

Main book: https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?epid=17216138#201117,38090519

The records in all three books are written in Danish.

The language in the main book changes to German in July-August 1874:
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?epid=17216138#201117,38090930

Venlig hilsen
Inger
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Pip Peck

Thank you Inger! I shall add this to my family notes.
Pip (New Zealand)