Would anyone know why Archiveonline is not working for me?

Startet af Jan McLaughlin, 05 Maj 2014 - 05:22

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Jan McLaughlin

Today I updated Java and now I can't use Archiveonline.  Is there a connection?  When I click on the parish, nothing happens.

Thank you.  Jan

Lis Helleberg

Dear Jan,

A friend had by accident gotten a virus like search engine installed and it bloked for the possiblity of opening the pages on Arkivalier Online. When the search engine was removed and IE or Firefox was used, everything worked fine again. However, we had to reinstall Java first.

Just to make sure about Java and versions, I checked mine and it works. I have version 7 update 55, dated April 30 2014.

Best regards
Lis
Area of interest: Thy, especially Vang, Thisted, Hillerslev, Hundborg

Lynn Christiansen

Jan---

I was having trouble with AO when Java went to Java 7 and Dave Pedersen of this Forum gave me this advice and it worked:

CitatPerhaps then, the image viewer itself is corrupted.  It is called LAViewer, and the first time you need it, it is automatically downloaded from the State Archives site and saved on your computer.  After that, whenever you ask to look at a church book image, it just downloads the list of images and then uses the viewer that was previously downloaded and saved.  It will continue to use that saved viewer unless AO tells it to download a new viewer, or if it doesn't find the viewer on your computer already.

We can force the latter situation by deleting the LAViewer on your computer.  Then when you ask to view a church book, it will download a new copy of the viewer as well.

1- Go to the Control Panel
2- Find the Java icon and open it.
3- At the bottom of the first "General" tab, there should be a section called "Temporary Internet Files".
4- Click the "View..." button in that section.
5- You should get the "Java Cache Viewer" window whose picture I attached below to this message.
6- Click on the LAViewer row to highlight it.
7- Click on the Red X at the top to delete the highlighted LAViewer.
8- Close the Java Cache Viewer window and the Jave Control Panel window.

Now go and select a church book from the AO site.
This time, after the window that shows that Java is loading is finished, you should see another window that says it is downloading the LAViewer application.  It has progress bar and should take a few seconds, as it is over 5 megabytes in size.

Then it should proceed to run the viewer and display the list of images with the opslag numbers along the left side....

Here's to hoping that will work!

Since then I have delayed updating Java until I have had to. Good luck....
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg