Peter Augustsens Far???

Startet af Gary Jacobson, 25 Apr 2014 - 23:30

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Gary Jacobson

Peter Augustsen was born 16 March 1829 at Sandby, Maribo Amt.  He was the son of Fruentimmer Ane Margrethe Marie Pedersdatter and Ungkarl "August".  He is birth number 6 in 1829.

The father's last name is not given.  The document states where he was from, but it is very difficult to read.  I think it says he is from Pederstrup in Købelev, but I wanted see what the Forum has to say. 

Also, does anyone have any ideas about exactly who August was?

Peter Augustsen is found in the following censuses:

1834 Age 5 at Købelev, Roelykke Bye, et Huus
1840 Age 10 at Købelev, Roelykke Bye, Fattighuset
1845 Age 15 at Købelev, Vesterbo by., 18. en Gaard
1850 Age 21 at Herredskirke, V.Karleby, en gaard
1855 Age 27 at Utterslev, Tjørneby, Utterslev sogn
1860 Age 33 at Vindeby, Vindeby Skoledistrikt, Vindeby By, Et Hus
1880 Age 52 at Vindeby, Vindeby by, Vindeby sogn

Peter died in 1911 and  is buried at the Danish Baptist Cemetery near Blooming Prairie, Minnesota.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Knud Erik Balle

Bjørn Marcher

Hello Gary,

I read it like:

Udlagt Barnefader August paa Lyderstrup i Hertugdømmet Holsten.

The approximate translation is the father August was at a locality called Lyderstrup in Holsten. Today Holsten is German, it is the southern half of the Schlewig-Holsten region, north of Hamburg.

Only problem is I am not able to locate any Lyderstrup in Holsten.....

best regards

Bjørn Marcher  
Bjørn Marcher
2670 Greve
www.bearfields.dk
Medlem af DIS-Danmark

Knud Erik Balle

Hello Gary

I've asked people in another forum on this webside how to read the text about August.
https://www.slaegtogdata.dk/forum/index.php/topic,79141.msg416558.html#new

A member of DIS, Inger Buchard, have this suggestion:

August was from Löhrstorp. An estate just south of Heiligenhafen in the dukedom Holsten.
This estate was owned by Christian August Graf v. Hardenberg-Reventlov.
At the same time Krenkerup estate in Radsted parish, Fuglse shire in Maribo county was owned by Christian Heinrich August lensgreve (count) Hardenberg-Reventlow.
Both counts died in 1840, probably the same person. At least the same family.
http://genwiki.genealogy.net/Topographie_Holstein_1841/I-Z/082

How August met Anne Margrethe Marie Pedersdatter is unknown. She could have worked on Krenkerup estate.

Best regards
Knud Erik Balle

Gary Jacobson

Thank you Knud and Bjørn for your insights.  When I read the word "Lÿderstrup" I was thinking about the old Danish for "strup" being "torp".  An example is Kirke Eskilstrup was once known as Eskilstorp.  I then assumed that the German equivalent would be "dorf".  Well, guess what I found?  Lüdersdorf, just southeast of Lübeck.  Not quite inside Holstein, but close. 

Now I see your suggestion that he was from Löhrstorp in Holstein.  I see that it was once spelled "Lodderstorf".  Very similar spelling.

I guess the fact that Löhrstorp is in Holstein and there is the Hardenberg-Reventlov connection, this must be the place that is mentioned in the records.  Now the question remains, who is August?  I guess that will have to remain a mystery.

Thank you all for your help.

Gary

Bjørn Marcher

Hello Gary,

You may be consulting two sources of information:

1) The FT1834 for Krenkerup estate, may be there is an August working there?  ...

2) A second source is the military suscription rolls  ( lægdsruller ), where Peter should be mentioned from his birth, normally with information of the father as well. When the parents are not married, I am not sure how he will be registered..... 

These rolls are available online now... 

What puzzles me is the fact he is only mentioned with his first name - not any Family name....

best regards

Bjørn Marcher
Bjørn Marcher
2670 Greve
www.bearfields.dk
Medlem af DIS-Danmark

Gary Jacobson

The fact that there is no last name for August is no surprise to me.  I have a Danish birth from 1876 in my database that states that the father of the child is "an unknown man that she met at the Åstrup Festival".    ;)

As the old saying goes, "there is nothing new under the sun".

Gary