Translation Help

Startet af Erik Schaefer, 03 Feb 2011 - 21:43

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Erik Schaefer

I am looking at the 1911 Census for Vamdrup.  Page 00965 the family starting with Laurits Hugger.

Laurits was the step-father of Mikkel Gellert, but he is listed first here.  I see Mikkel is the land holder though.  Can you tell me what that word is for Laurits' relationship to the family?  I see Mikkel is the "husband" but what is Laurits?

Katrine Gellert (the wife) is her married name.  Her maiden name was actually Petersen.  Can you tell me if the Ellen Petersen listed below her was her daughter.  I see "Ugift" and "Pigen" but then I can't make out the rest of the words for Ellen.  I didn't think Katrine had a daughter then, but I could be wrong.

Thank you in advance.
Erik
Research areas of interest:
Hjarup / Vamdrup / Sonder Broby / Taps/ Vantinge

Gammel Rye / Them/ Vrads

Poul-Erik Langvad

Hi

Mikkel Gellerth was "Husfader" not Lauritz. Lauritz was "slægtning" (relative) and Ellen Petersen and Sjalotte Schmidt were both "Ung Pige i Huset" (maid). Ellen was born in Seest 18/7 1889 and in the churchbook (Ribe, Seest 1888-1891 opslag 15) you can see that her parents were "Ingvard Petersen  og Hustru Margrethe Berg 39 år ". You can see her birth (Seest 1875-1887 opslag 74) and she has the same parents.

M.v.h. Poul-Erik

Erik Schaefer

Thank you Poul-Erik.  I knew Mikkel was "Husfader", but I probably did not type that very clearly for you in my first message.

I was hoping Laurits(z) had a more specific relation than "relative" but that will work.  According to my dictionary "stedfader" means step father.  It seems they could have used that to be more specific.

Gammel Rye / Them/ Vrads

Poul-Erik Langvad

Hi

My posting was a mess. I am sorry.
You wrote quit clear that Mikkel was listed as "husband" (it should have been "head of house" (husfader) but almost correct).

I should also have told that Katrine and Ellen were sisters. It is their birth-records I mentioned.

M.v.h. Poul-Erik

Erik Schaefer

Oh I'm glad you clarified that for me, I missed it in your first message!

That makes sense to me.  Katrine was a nanny for Mikkel originally.  Mikkel's first wife passed away and about 10 years later he married katrine who was the nanny for his daughter.  So it does not surprise me that her sister also was a worker for Mikkel.

Thank you for clarifying.  I had not researched Katrine's parents since it was Mikkel's first wife who is actually related to me.  But I may include her parents now that I know them.

Gammel Rye / Them/ Vrads