Please look at a record for me

Startet af Paul Olesen, 02 Feb 2014 - 20:47

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Paul Olesen

I am looking for the record of the birth of Dorthe Iversdatter. FamilySearch lists her birth date as 1792 and the place as Thisted. Her parents were Iver Christensen and Kirsten Jensdatter – 1801 Ydby Census.

I found an entry that I think is for a Dorethe at - Family Search Denmark, Church Records, 1484-1941 Thisted Refs Boddum 2 (1733-1809) Fødte, Intr...de, Absolverede, Dødfødte Image   of 183. It is also found at opslag 253. 

Would someone please look at the record and tell me if it is for Dorthe Iversdatter.

Thank You
Paul Olesen

Peter Paluszewski

Hi Paul,

From opslag 253 (note btw that this half of the book is records from Ydby parish):
1791 27. Marts.
Lod Svenning Guditzen i Holmgrds Mølle sine 2 Børns hjemmedaab publicere navnlig Christen og Dorethe.
Translation: Made public the home baptism of Svenning Guditzen from Holgaard Mill's 2 children, Christen and Dorethe.
Thus not the right Dorthe.

Regards, Peter

Paul Olesen

Thank You.

I am having a real problem with this family. Their youngest daughter, Mariane, is my 3rd great grandmother. I have been trying to find out about the families of her mother and father, Iver and Kirsten. I found a marriage and a birth of both parents but i am having a hard time connecting them to 1801 census. I will just have to keep trying.

Thanks again for your help.  Paul

Inger Toudal

Hi Paul,

Do you have the birth records for the younger children? Please give opslag ref., if you do.

Thisted, Refs, Ydby, Ydbye Bye, ingen, 8, FT-1801, B4252
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Position in household:      Occupation:   
Iver Christensen    30    Gift    Hosbonde    Gaardmand    
Kirsten Jensdatter    38    Gift    Konen       
Dorethe -    8    Ugift    deres barn       
Anne -    5    Ugift    deres barn       
Christen -    3    Ugift    deres barn       
Mariane -    1    Ugift    deres barn       
Lars Madsen    38    Ugift    Tjenestefolk       
Kirstine Gregersdatter    30    Ugift    Tjenestefolk       
Niels Nielsen    15    Ugift    Tjenestefolk

It's probably this Dorthe (not a very common name combination):

Thisted, Refs, Helligsø, Helligsøe Bye, En Gaard, 22, FT-1845, B4050
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Position in household:      Occupation:      Birth place:
Peder Christian Lauritsen    49    Gift       Gaardmand    Ydbye Sogn, Thisted Amt
Dorthe Iversdatter    53    Gift       Hans kone    Ydbye Sogn, Thisted Amt
Maren Cathrine Sørensdatter    21    Ugift       Deres barn    Ydbye Sogn, Thisted Amt
Kjersten Sørensdatter    19    Ugift       Deres barn    Ydbye Sogn, Thisted Amt
Ane Kirstine Pedersdatter    14    Ugift       Deres barn    Ydbye Sogn, Thisted Amt
Sidsel Marie Pedersdatter    17    Ugift       Deres barn    Ydbye Sogn, Thisted Amt
Anders Christian Olesen    19    Ugift       Tjenestekarl    Ydbye Sogn, Thisted Amt

Best regards,
Inger Toudal
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Paul Olesen

Baptism of Mariane Iversdatter 15 April 1800 Ydby 278 no 2

Death of Mariane Iversdatter 24 Feb 1890 ydby 159  no 2

Marriage of Ole Nielsen Meese & Mariane Iversdatter 18 Oct 1825  Ydby  77  no2

Marriage of Iver Christensen & Kristen Jensdatter 8 Feb 1788 Vejerslev  24

Baptism Kristen Jensdatter 24 Aug 1760 Vejeralev

Baptism Iver Christensen 14 Oct 1770 Ringøbing, Hind, Velling  182  I think this is the same Iver Christensen that married Karen.

Iver and Kirsten had a son, Christen, that was born Aug 1760 Vejerslev 60  no 2. He does not appear on the 1801 census. I have looked for a death entry but have not found any.  I found a death entry for Iver Christensen in Ydby but it lists his father as a Christen Andersen. The 1887 census for Nørregade lists that Iver Christensen as 12 years old, too young to be the Iver Christensen married to Kirsten in 1788. I am trying to tie the Iver Christensen married to Kristen  in Vejerslev to the same people in the Ydby 1801 census and to tie the Iver Christensen born in 1770 in Velling to the Iver Christensen married to Kristen Jensdatter. If I can do that, then I can move my family tree back a few more generation. That may be an impossible task.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Olesen
Askov, Minnesota, USA

Inger Toudal

Hi Paul,

Mariane seems to be the couple's first child born in Ydby. The birth place info for Dorthe Iversdatter in the censuses must be wrong, so I started looking for Mariane's sister Ane instead.

In the censuses 1845-1860 for Ydby parish her birth place is recorded as Thisted, e.g.

Thisted, Refs, Ydby, Ydby by, Et huus, 38.1, FT-1860, D5129
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Position in household:      Occupation:      Birth place:
Ane Iversdatter    65    Enke    Spinderske, huuseier       Thisted

And indeed, I found a daughter Ane born to Iver Christensen and wife Kiersten Jensdatter Balsbye on 15 May 1796 (Thisted, Hundborg, Thisted 1765-1807, opslag 321, No 17). She was baptized 12 Jun.

Dorthe is in the same church book, opslag 278-279, No 26, born 4 Jul. 1793.
Christen is on opslag 349, No 38 - born 7 Sep. 1798.

Iver Christensen and Kiersten Jensdatter of Thisted were betrothed 12 Oct. 1792 and married 22 Nov. (same church book, opslag 531, No 6). One of the sponsors is here:

Thisted, Hundborg, Thisted Købstad, Vestergade, No. 9, 8, FT-1787, B1185
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Position in household:      Occupation:
Henrich Knachergaard    37    Ugift    hosbonde    kræmer    
Anne Knachergaard    38    Ugift    hosbondens søster       
Giertrud Marie Knachergaard    31    Ugift    hosbondens søster       
Christen Knachergaard    30    Ugift    hosbondens farbroder søn    kræmer

He cannot be Iver's father. The other is Rasmus Nielsen of Thisted, whom I cannot identify

Could it be the Iver Christensen mentioned in https://www.slaegtogdata.dk/forum/index.php/topic,73786.0.html  ?

I checked the 1787 census for Thisted, and the transcription looks ok, but the age could be wrong in the original census:
http://www.sa.dk/ao/billedviser?bsid=1344#1344,63864

At his death in June 1838 he is said to be 65 years old, his father Ch Andersen, Aulsmand in Thisted.

Best regards,
Inger T.
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Paul Olesen

Thank you so much. I have been looking for several weeks and was about to give up. You have made my day. Thank you.  paul

Inger Toudal

Hi Paul,

You're welcome. I've seen you struggle to find this family.

I found Iver Christensen's confirmation 19 Apr. 1789 in Thisted 1765-1807, opslag 424, No 2,
15 years old. He would have been a young groom in Nov. 1792, but not impossible.

The sponsors are here in the 1801 census:

Thisted, Hundborg, Thisted Købstad, Thisted Kiøbstad, Nørre Gade 82, 2, FT-1801, B9218
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Position in household:      Occupation:      
Christen Knakkergaard    43    Gift    Huusbonde    Kiøbmand og Kiæmner    
Kiersten Andersdatter    62    Gift    Hans Kone   [could be related to Aulsmand Christen Andersen]      
Niels Thousgaard    33    Ugift    Tieneste Folk       
Peder Larsen    35    Ugift    Tieneste Folk       
Jens Smed    17    Ugift    Tieneste Folk       
Marie Rønberg    19    Ugift    Tieneste Folk       
Mette Catrine Pedersdatter    34    Ugift    Tieneste Folk

Thisted, Hundborg, Thisted Købstad, Thisted Kiøbstad, Store Gade 37, 29, FT-1801, B9218
Rasmus Nielsen    35    Gift    Huusfader    Fuldmægtig paa Amtstuen    
Abelone Christine fød With    29    Gift    Hans Kone       
Birthe Andersdatter    30    Ugift    Tienestepige

Next you should try to identify the witnesses at the baptisms in Thisted and Ydby.

The mother of the children is Kirsten Jensdatter Balsbye. There may be a connection to this family,
which would also explain why the family moved from Thisted to Ydby:

Thisted, Refs, Hurup, Hurup Bye, ingen, 10, FT-1801, B4256
Claus Jensen Balsbye    55    Gift    huusbonde    bonde og gaardbeboer    
Helvig Jensdatter    57    Gift    hans kone       
Ane Cathrine Clausdatter    24    Ugift    deres barn       
Niels Christian -    22    Ugift    deres barn       
Jens Mathis -    16    Ugift    deres barn

What makes it difficult is that the name Balsbye is not always used, as we've seen for Kirsten Jensdatter.
At Mariane's baptism there are two Mads Jensen among the witnesses. Unfortunately I'm not able to read
the byname/place name.

Mariane b. 1800 Ydby (mother's name not mentioned):
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-33523-137-37?cc=2078555&wc=M94Q-QK2:1831571048

Best regards,
Inger T.
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal