Request info on Jens Peterson Wiuff

Startet af Kelli Wiuff, 26 Jan 2011 - 22:06

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Kelli Wiuff

Hello,

I am trying to find information on Jens Peterson Wiuff who was born in Denmark about 23 November 1874, probably in Viuf (but I have no proof of this).  What I understand is that the area now called Viuf was once spelled Wiuf and Wiuff. 

I believe that Jens is a Petersen or Pedersen; based on the Peterson Wiuff combined last name being given to all 9 of the children that he had with Theresa Cecilia Eleanor Klinge (Married on 26 April 1900 in Emmet County, Iowa, USA) in the United States of America. US census records report his arrival in the US between 1887-1890 (late teens to early adult).  He settled in the state of Iowa and later (between 1915 and 1918) moved to Minnesota.  He died in Minnesota in 1925 and was buried in Emmet County, Iowa. 

Other graves near his (same cemetery and plot) that share the same Wiuff name are: Theresa C. E (his wife) -Also Marie Dorthea Wiuff (Birth: Nov. 21, 1841; Death: Jun. 1, 1911) -possibly his mother -but I have not been able to locate any records (census or otherwise) that confirm this. And Hans P Wiuff (1882-1959) and Hans' wife Minnie M. Wiuff (maiden name Skow) (1889-1961) -I think Hans is Jens brother.  I have a 1925 Iowa census record that connected Hans and Marie Dorthea (son-mother) and lists his father as Christian Wiuff.

If anybody can provide any help in locating information/confirming information on parents or siblings of Jens Peterson Wiuff it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelli Wiuff
(great granddaughter)

Flemming A. Aasklint

Hi

Could be this family:

All persons in the household

Vejle, Nørre Tyrstrup, Vejstrup, Sjølund By, , 1 Hus, 4 F1,

FT-1880

Name:    Age:    Marital status:    Occupation in household:    Occupation:    Birth place:

Christen Petersen Viuf   51    Gift   Huusfader Inderste, Dagleier i Agerbruget      Veistrup Sogn Veile Amt
Maren Dorothea Viuf født Jensen   38    Gift   hans Hustru      Ryslinge Sogn Svendborg Amt
Inge Maria Petersen Viuf   14    Gift   Deres Børn      Veistrup Sogn Veile Amt
Johanne Catrine Petersen Viuf   8    Gift   Deres Børn      Veistrup Sogn Veile Amt
Karen Petersen Viuf      7    Gift   Deres Børn      Veistrup Sogn Veile Amt
Jens Petersen Viuf      5    Gift   Deres Børn      Veistrup Sogn Veile Amt

---

Jens Petersen Viuf
born 22 novemver 1874 in Sjølund, Vejstrup Parish,Nørre Tyrstrup District,Vejle County
baptized 24 january 1875 in Vejstrup Church

Hans Petersen Viuf
born 16 june 1882 in Sjølund, Vejstrup Parish
baptized 23 july 1882 in Vejstrup Church
Mvh.
Flemming Aasklint
4500  Nykøbing Sjælland

Kelli Wiuff

Thank you.  That does look to be the family.  I don't understand Danish (I tried using Google translate) but I still don't really understand what I'm looking at or what it says.

Please explain.  It appears to be an 1880 Census but from what location?  What are the occupations listed? Where were you able to locate this at?  I'd love to be able to trace this family further.

Also the records at the bottom appear to be church records -Is there a database that can be accessed to find this information about others in the family? 

Thanks
Kelli Wiuff

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Kelli,

Censuses (not all yet) here: www.ddd.dda.dk
Church books (up till around 1925-1930) and censuses: www.arkivalieronline.dk
Finding place names: www.krabsen.dk

The census:

Vejle, Nørre Tyrstrup, Vejstrup, Sjølund By, , 1 Hus, 4 F1, =
Vejle county, Nørre Tyrstrup district, Vejstrup parish, Sjølund = place name/village - from www.ddd.dda.dk

The church records:

Sjølund (place name), Vejstrup Parish, Nørre Tyrstrup District, Vejle County - from Arkivalieronline.

Lissa

Kelli Wiuff

Thank you! 

One more question - Is there a database (perhaps church records) that would list death/burial information?

Kelli Wiuff

Lissa Pedersen

Yes:

www.arkivalieronline.dk.

You will have to go to the main page and find the county (district - not necessary) and parish and the years in question - and then it's hard work going through the records/pages.

F = fødte = born
K = konfirmerede = confirmed
V = viede = married
D = døde = dead/deaths

Lissa

Homer Ficken

I believe the attached manifest is the family's immigration, but oddly, Jens' age is listed as only 7!
They arrived NY 20 May 1889 from Hamburg on ship Suevia.  They are also listed on the Hamburg passenger lists.  Their origin is listed as Kolding (Ringkøbing) and their destination then listed as California.

1900 Emmet County census, Jack Creek Township:
Christen P. Viuff, Nov 1828 Denmark, immigration 1889
Maren D. Viuff, Nov 1841 "  "  "
Hans P. Viuff, June 1882 "  "  "

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Lissa Pedersen

You will find Jens' confirmation record in Vejstrup parish (1877-1890) - opslag 20 - No. 8 on the page. Good knowledge and very good behaviour.

You will find Maren Dorthea Jensen's birth in Ryslinge parish, Gudme district, Svendborg county (1826-1852) - opslag 41 - she was born 23 Nov 1841 to unmarried miss/young girl Johanne Nielsdatter serving at T?? (Toystrup?) and alleged father bachelor Jens Christensen serving in Brenderup parish.

Lissa

Flemming A. Aasklint

Vejstrup Sogn
1776-1830
Opslag 156

Christen Petersen Wiuff
born 10 november 1828 in Grønninghoved, Vejstrup Parish
baptized 18 november 1828 in Vejstrup Church
Parents: Peter Hansen Wiuff and wife Annichen Christensdatter
Schulz.

--

Ryslinge Sogn
Svendborg Amt
1826-1852
Opslag 41

Maren Dorthea Jensen
born 23 noveber 1841 in Ryslinge Parish, Svendborb County
baptized 19 december 1841 in Syslinge Church
Mother: unmarried girl Johanne Nielsdatter
Father: bachelor Jens Christensen

Jens Christensen and Johanne Nielsdatter married
22 june 1844 in Vejlby Parish, Odense County
( 1822-1888) Opslag 27)

All persons in the household

Odense, Vends, Vejlby, Weilbye By, , et huus, 20,

FT-1845

Name:    Age:    Marital status:    Occupation in household:    Occupation:    Birth place:

Jens Christensen      30    Gift      huusmand   Inslev sogn, Odense Amt
Johanne Nielsdatter      33    Gift      hans kone   Vester H??, Odense Amt
Maren Dorthea Jensdatter   3    Ugift      deres børn   ??, Odense Amt
Karen Jensen      1    Ugift      deres børn   her i sognet [Veilbye]
Ole Poulsen      65    Gift      aftægtsmand   do [Veilbye]
Ane Christensdatter      71    Gift      hans kone   do [Veilbye]

Mvh.
Flemming Aasklint
4500  Nykøbing Sjælland

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Homer Ficken Dato 26 Jan 2011 - 23:46
I believe the attached manifest is the family's immigration, but oddly, Jens' age is listed as only 7!
They arrived NY 20 May 1889 from Hamburg on ship Suevia.  They are also listed on the Hamburg passenger lists.  Their origin is listed as Kolding (Ringkøbing) and their destination then listed as California.

1900 Emmet County census, Jack Creek Township:
Christen P. Viuff, Nov 1828 Denmark, immigration 1889
Maren D. Viuff, Nov 1841 "  "  "
Hans P. Viuff, June 1882 "  "  "

Since the father's grave is not with the others, maybe Maren Dorothea's obituary would list where and when he died.  Here is a volunteer who looks up Emmet County records:

http://www.raogk.org/dbmailvol.php?vol=1123&db=raogk3

Kelli Wiuff

Thank you all so very much for helping me.

The Jack Creek Emmet County Iowa census that was commented on shows the marriage of Christen and Maren to have happened in 1871.  This is 6 years after the oldest child (Inge Maria Petersen Viuf) would have been born based on the 1880 Danish census first given.

Perhaps Maren is a 2nd wife.

I guess it is time I learned to use the sites you wonderful people have posted about.

Kelli Wiuff

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Kelli Wiuff Dato 27 Jan 2011 - 05:11
Thank you all so very much for helping me.

The Jack Creek Emmet County Iowa census that was commented on shows the marriage of Christen and Maren to have happened in 1871.  This is 6 years after the oldest child (Inge Maria Petersen Viuf) would have been born based on the 1880 Danish census first given.

Perhaps Maren is a 2nd wife.

I guess it is time I learned to use the sites you wonderful people have posted about.

Kelli Wiuff

She was a 2nd wife.  Attached is their wedding 19 Nov 1870
(AO Vejstrup 1867-1888 opslag 29 #10)

But here she is listed as Anne Dorthea

Homer Ficken

Inge Marie Petersen Viuf was born 10 Dec 1865; her mother was Marie Katrine Knudsen
(Vejstrup 1831-1867 opslag 169 #30)

Marie Katrine Viuf nee Knudsen died 5 June 1870
(Vejstrup 1867-1886 opslag 194 #7)

Kelli Wiuff

Thank you very much.

This makes me curious what other children there might be from either marriage.  From records in the US, I know of an Anne P Viuf or Vieuf and a Jesse Wiuff.  They could be possible relations.  Also the older children do not appear with their Viuf last name in the US, but they could possibly be married and here in the US. 

I began looking at the Arkivalieronline.dk link that was posted here yesterday, but I'm not getting very far, as I don't know what regions and communities are near to each other and the link does not appear to have a search feature where I can put in a name.

Does anybody have any suggestions about how to processed?

Homer Ficken

Unfortunately, AO records must be searched manually, page by page.

Attached is the family in 1870 Vejstrup census (opslag 28) showing one older sister, Anne Petersen Vief. (Her age looks like 17 in census but it's 7)

She was born 23 October 1862 (Vejstrup  opslag 151 #23).  I don't find the parents' marriage in Vejstrup records.

Kelli Wiuff

Many thanks. You have been a great help.

Kelli Wiuff

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Kelly,

Try this link from the old Dis-Danmark: http://www.clicketyclick.dk/amt-herred-sogn/index_en.php (click the English flag). Here you will find counties, districts and parishes.

Lissa

Kelli Wiuff

That is a very useful link.  Thank you very much for posting it.

Kelli Wiuff

Jytte Frank Dekov

Hi Kelli.

Annichen Christensdatter Schultz is a daughter of my g.g.g.grandfather (tip2oldefar) Christen Jørgensen born 18. febr. 1759 in Vejstrup and dead 19. apr. 1839 in Vejstrup.

On our website www.123hjemmeside.dk/dekov you will find my anchestors look for "Jyttes aner" and search under "personer"

I don't have much about the Viuf's but Annichens anchestor you will find on this page. You are welcome to write a private mail, my mail adress is also found on the website.

Greatings from Jytte - 2770 
m.v. h.  Jytte - 2770
http://frank-dekov.dk

Kelli Wiuff

Hello Jytte,

Many thanks for the link and information.  I will be sure to have a look around. 

This site and all of the responses have been great.  When I posted I was not even sure I had enough information to make any connections at all.  In the last couple of days, I have learned more about my ancestors in Denmark then I ever thought possible.

Many thanks to you and everyone for making this possible.

Kelli Wiuff