Joseph Benjamin Melberg married Eleanor in the US, but when ?

Startet af Verner Bentsen, 19 Nov 2013 - 20:32

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Verner Bentsen

Joseph Benjamin Melberg (b. 18 aug. 1887) married to Louise Emilie Maren Nielsen (b. 1888) in Copenhagen 1920.
They emigrated to the US right after the marriage. Louise had an emergency passport in Copenhagen.
Had 2 boys Willy and Ingolf in the US.
Louise died in 1939. ( Hartford Courant, The (1923-present) Hartford, Connecticut 2 Nov 1939 Obituary)
Joseph was a widower in 1940 census. Living with his 2 sons.
In 1942 WWII draft, relative Ingolf Melberg, son.
————————————————————————————
U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989 about Joseph Melberg
Name: Joseph Melberg
Residence Year: 1945
Street Address: 22 Layton WH
Residence Place: Hartford, Connecticut
Spouse: Eleanor W Melberg
Publication Title: Hartford, Connecticut, City Directory, 1945
—————————————————————————
U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989
In 1946 Joseph lives with Eleanor  and his 2 sons Willy and Ingolf.
———————————————————————————————————————————
Joseph married Eleanor W Melberg, but when ? Between 1942-1945 ?

Most of the family can be seen here: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/M1VQ-HMY

mvh Verner

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Verner,

Here is Ingolf's obituary

Ingolf "Mel" B. Melberg Obituary
Date of Birth:
Thursday, December 29th, 1921
Date of Death:
Monday, March 12th, 2012
Funeral Home:
DeVito Funeral Home
www.devitofuneralhomes.com
1145 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, Massachusetts, UNITED STATES
Obituary:

Ingolf B. "Mel" Melberg, formerly of Somerville, MA passed away March 12, 2012 at the Neville Center at Fresh Pond, Cambridge,MA. Mel was born in Hartford, Ct on Dec. 29, 1921. He is survived by his wife Edith F. (Bruun) Melberg and his children Ellen-Louise Naser and her husband Joseph of Arlington and Carl Melberg and his wife Sandra of Littleton , and his grandchildren Kurt Naser, Erica Naser, Alexander Melberg and Jonathan Melberg. Funeral Services for Mr. Melberg are private.

In lieu of flowers the following has been set up to receive memorial donations in Mel's memory: Harvard Epworth Methodist Church Attn: Ingolf B. Melberg Fund 1555 Mass. Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138.

and his wife's obituary

Edith Melberg
Obituary

Edith F. Melberg, a lifelong Somerville resident passed away Jan. 6, 2013 at the age of 90. Born in Somerville, MA to the late Jens Bruun and Ellen Andersen Bruun. Ede was predeceased by her husband Ingolf B. Melberg in March of 2012. She is survived by her daughter Ellen-Louise Naser and her husband Joseph of Arlington and her son Carl Melberg and his wife Sandra of Littleton, MA. Also surviving are her grandchildren; Kurt Naser, Erica Naser, Alexander Melberg and Jonathan Melberg and her brother Albert Bruun of Mansfield, MA. Funeral Services are Private. If desired, memorial contributions may be made to : Harvard Epworth Methodist Church Attn: Ingolf B. Melberg Fund 1555 Mass. Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138. www.devitofuneralhomes.com

I will try to find their children and see if they have any information.  I will then post it and also send you an e-mail.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul Londahl-Smidt

Homer Ficken

Not what you seek, but maybe useful details:

http://articles.courant.com/1997-07-11/news/9707110343_1_laconia-gilford-matthew-r-rasmussen

1940 Hartford census:
Eleanor Rasmussen, head,  40, Connecticut, divorced, insurance secretary
Lloyd Rasmussen, son, 15, Connecticut
Tekla Winther, mother, 75, Denmark
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Heidi Ilsoee

Eleanors obituary:
http://articles.courant.com/keyword/gilford
Melberg. Eleanor W. Melberg
July 11, 1997
MELBERG. Eleanor W. Melberg, 97, of Laconia, NH, died at the Mountain Ridge-Genesis ElderCare Network, Franklin, NH, Thursday (July 10, 1997). Mrs. Melberg was the widow of Joseph Benjamin "Benny" Melberg who died in 1971. Mrs. Melberg was born March 17, 1900 in Manchester, CT, the daughter of Jens Christian and Tekla Sabine (Froyland) Winther. She had been a resident of Laconia, NH since December 1973. Mrs. Melberg was employed as a secretary for the Probate Court in Hartford, for many years.

Here you have Eleanors parents names and where she is from. Melberg is not her maidenname, which must be Winther maybe kept as her middlename (W).

Try searching for their wedding in her hometown.

Willy Emil: http://www.locategrave.org/l/6678316/Willy-Emil-Melberg-WI
Ingolf: http://www.devitofuneralhomes.com/book-of-memories/1154545/Melberg-Ingolf/obituary.php

The 2 children died not so long ago, maybe their families knows something.

Heidi

Homer Ficken

In 1920, Eleanor was 20, single and with parents in Hartford.

In 1930 Elenor Rasmussen 30, widow, and son Lloyd 5 were with the Winthers.
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Verner Bentsen

Thank you all.

I have found the two boys, birth and dead.

Homer I think you are right, W. probably refers to Winter. In the US City Directory 1946 Eleanor is a insurance secretary

I also have the obituaries.

What I actually need is the marriage.

mvh Verner

Paul Londahl-Smidt

I have e-mailed Verner the e-mail address of the grandson of Joseph Melberg.

Paul

Verner Bentsen

I thought the W could refer to Winter

Name: Eleanor W. Melberg
SSN: 041-01-8010
Last Residence: 03229  Contoocook, Merrimack, New Hampshire, USA
Born: 17 Mar 1900
Died: 10 Jul 1997
State (Year) SSN issued: Connecticut (Before 1951)

MELBERG, Eleanor W (WINTHER); 97; Franklin NH; Manchester U-L; 1997-7-13; cgdbout
MELBERG, Eleanor W (WINTHER); 97; Manchester CT>Franklin NH; NH Sunday News; 1997-7-13; jral
MELBERG, Eleanor (WINTHER); 97; Laconia NH; Hartford Courant (CT); 1997-7-11; sgowen

mvh Verner

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hej Verner,

According to the 1910 census, Eleanor is listed as Eleanor A. Winther.

mvh
Paul

Verner Bentsen

Thank you Paul.

I will see what I can find out.

mvh Verner

Jim Melberg

Hello -- I am Joseph Benjamin Melberg's grandson (I found this forum while doing some other family research).  I checked the family history that my parents compiled -- Eleanor and Benny (that's what everyone called him) were married in August 1944.  I don't have the exact date or where it took place.

Verner Bentsen

Hello Jim

Thank's for the informations.

I have met your grandfather's 2 sisters  Karen and Emilie in Kalundborg, Denmark.
I didn't know that they were relatives until 3 years ago. I had a schoolfriend living next door to Emilie.
Emilie went to US in 1947 and were back in Denmark before 1950.

I'm now trying to find the birth of Niels Melberg/Mildberg in Norway or Sweden abt. 1784.

Verner

Jim Melberg

Hi Verner -- Venlig hilsen!  I met Emilie (we called her Faster Marie) only once in 1971 on a family visit to Kalundborg. 

Good luck on finding Niels Mildberg / Melberg's birth information -- it has been a dead end -- we have been stuck on that for years! 

My parents had a Danish friend who found his immigration record to Kobenhavn when he left Sweden.  I believe that stated he was born 4 August 1786 in Borges Praestegjeld in Sweden.  I cannot find that record among my parent's papers however.  Nor can I find a Borges in Sweden (there's a similar town in Norway though).  And the birth year of 1786 doesn't add up with some of the later census records from Hjorring.

The probate record in Hjorring after he hanged himself also stated that he had relatives in Sweden that the authorities notified.

Maybe if you can find that immigration record, it will yield more clues.

And I'm looking forward to hearing from you how we are related! -- Jim