Henry Emil Olsen (born 1900) went to US and married a Native American -maybe?

Startet af Karin Ott Kristensen, 07 Nov 2013 - 11:26

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Karin Ott Kristensen

I am researching myths/stories in my family.

Facts about this mystery: When I was 7-8 years old, my dad showed me a drawing in the home of his mother. It was of a young Native American girl whom he said was his cousin. His uncle had married 'an Indian princess'. His parents had been divorced for 20 years at that time which is why I focus on my grandmother's side of the family.

My dad is dead as is his mother but I have been researching the family tree and his mother apparently had only one brother who grew into manhood - Henry Emil Olsen, born August 13. 1900. I cannot find any records of him immigrating (tried Ellis Island and the Danish immigration records). At the time of the 1925 census he was still in Denmark, living with his mother, Hansine Marie Olsen, four of his sisters and three of his nieces/nephews on Vodroffsvej 21B. By 1930 only Hansine was left at that address.

In the census of 1901 I did find an older brother to Henry, Helge Olaf Olsen March 23. 1898, but I've come up with no later record of him (including the Politiregister) so I assume he died as a child.

I have a vague memory of the drawing being of a Sioux but I cannot be sure.

Any help/ideas on how discover the life of my dad's uncle in the US would be greatly appriciated!

Kind regards
Karin Ott Kristensen

PS
I posted this in the Danish section as well, https://www.slaegtogdata.dk/forum/index.php/topic,68736.0.html

Karin Ott Kristensen

SO typical! I have spent hours and hours and missed the record of the older brother as adult  :) Thank you!

Helge Oluf/Olaf Olsen married Mary Margrethe (born Rasmussen Oct. 11. 1891 , Aalborg). In the two registrations his middle name alternates between Olaf and Oluf.

Homer Ficken

Hi Karin,

According to his attached naturalization paper, he was born in Kolding, Denmark 19 August 1901 and arrived New York for permanent residence 10 May 1922.

His wife Pearl must have been a Chippewa Indian from Chippewa Michigan

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Homer Ficken

Here are Henry and Pearl returning to New York from Copenhagen in 1934:

Homer Ficken

Here is another page from the file with Henry's photo, and also his death record:

Name:Henry Emil Olsen
Race:White
Marital Status:Married
Social Security Number:263245217
Father's Last Name:Olsen
Date of Birth:19 Aug 1901
Residence County:Beaufort
Residence State:South Carolina
Date of Death:10 Jul 1989
Death City:Charlotte
Death County:Mecklenburg
Death State:North Carolina
Autopsy:No
Institution:General Hospital
Attendant:Physician
Burial Location:Cremation in state
Source Vendor:NC Department of Health. North Carolina Deaths, 1988-92

Homer Ficken

In the 1900 Bronx, New York census Henry and Pearl had a son Carl 5 and a daughter Sonya 2.

Henry's occupation was Mate of a Private Yacht.

Karin Ott Kristensen

It sounds amazing. There's just one thing. The Danish records consistantly states Henry's birthdate as August 13, 1900 which is differently than the date on the record. Plus the family was registered as living in Copenhagen during the time the Henry of the records was born in Kolding - a days journey from Copenhagen at the time.

In the 1925 census in Copenhagen he was listed as living with his mother during a time when he had permanent recidency in the US.

I am new at this so I'm wondering if these kinds of descripancies are common because how many other Danes with the same name could possibly match the story of marrying a Native American woman?

Kind regards
Karin

Karin Ott Kristensen

Perhaps there is a typing error in '1900'? It must be some later year.

But, again, thank you so much for the information, Homer!

Citat fra: Homer Ficken [918] Dato 07 Nov 2013 - 19:48
In the 1900 Bronx, New York census Henry and Pearl had a son Carl 5 and a daughter Sonya 2.

Henry's occupation was Mate of a Private Yacht.

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Karin Ott Kristensen [31635] Dato 07 Nov 2013 - 23:09
It sounds amazing. There's just one thing. The Danish records consistantly states Henry's birthdate as August 13, 1900 which is differently than the date on the record. Plus the family was registered as living in Copenhagen during the time the Henry of the records was born in Kolding - a days journey from Copenhagen at the time.

In the 1925 census in Copenhagen he was listed as living with his mother during a time when he had permanent recidency in the US.

I am new at this so I'm wondering if these kinds of descripancies are common because how many other Danes with the same name could possibly match the story of marrying a Native American woman?

Kind regards
Karin

Possible just an amazing coincidence of names, dates, time period, occupation!

What was the maiden name of your father's mother, and her husband full name?

Here is a more detailed death record of the H.E.O. I found, listing his parents as Carl Olsen and Maria Lauesen:

Event Type:Death
Event Date:10 Jul 1989
Event Place:Charlotte, Mecklenburg, North Carolina
Birth Year:1901
Burial Place:Charlotte, Nc
Cemetery:Yates Crematory
Residence Place:Tega Cay, York, SC
Address:3048 Point Clear Drive
Race (Original):White
Birth Date:19 Aug 1901
Birthplace:Kolding, Denmark
Father's Name:Carl Olsen
Mother's Name:Maria Lauesen
Spouse's Name:Pearl Whaley

It also appears doubtful that Pearl was a member of the Chippewa tribe, as the 1920 Chippewa County Michigan census listed her father as born in Pennsylvania and her mother in Ohio.

Karin Ott Kristensen

The names of the parents don't match. The father's name was Oluf/Olaf Peter Olsen (Copenhagen) and the mother's name Hansine Marie born Rasmussen (Svendborg).

I'll check the church book for Kolding for that birthdate and see if someone of that name was born on Aug. 19, 1901.

Citat fra: Homer Ficken [918] Dato 08 Nov 2013 - 00:10
Citat fra: Karin Ott Kristensen [31635] Dato 07 Nov 2013 - 23:09

Kind regards
Karin

Possible just an amazing coincidence of names, dates, time period, occupation!

What was the maiden name of your father's mother, and her husband full name?

Here is a more detailed death record of the H.E.O. I found, listing his parents as Carl Olsen and Maria Lauesen:

Event Type:Death
Event Date:10 Jul 1989
Event Place:Charlotte, Mecklenburg, North Carolina
Birth Year:1901
Burial Place:Charlotte, Nc
Cemetery:Yates Crematory
Residence Place:Tega Cay, York, SC
Address:3048 Point Clear Drive
Race (Original):White
Birth Date:19 Aug 1901
Birthplace:Kolding, Denmark
Father's Name:Carl Olsen
Mother's Name:Maria Lauesen
Spouse's Name:Pearl Whaley

It also appears doubtful that Pearl was a member of the Chippewa tribe, as the 1920 Chippewa County Michigan census listed her father as born in Pennsylvania and her mother in Ohio.

Verner Bentsen

Hej

Henry Emil Olsen was born 13. aug. 1900.

AO, København, Sokkelund, Skt Matthæus, 1898-1900, opslag 357

mvh Verner

Verner Bentsen

AO, Vejle, Brusk, Harte, 1892-1908, opslag 36

Born: Henry Emil Olsen 19. aug. 1901.
Parents: Carl Marius Olsen & Marie Lauesen, 22

mvh Verner

Karin Ott Kristensen

Thank you, Verner!

So I guess there were indeed two Henry Emil Olsen. If I look at the age in the ship records (the first two mentioned in this thread) 'my' Henry would appear to be too old to be the man in the first. That would fit better with Henry from Kolding. But the other one might be. On the other hand, would two identically named Danes both move to the US and marry a native american? What are the chances?

I think I will try to see if the two fathers are related. That might account for the story being in my family.

Verner Bentsen

Henry F Olsen arriving New York Dec. 25. 1917 is from Norway.
Your Henry should be Henry E(mil) Olsen. There are no Olsens from Denmark.

mvh Verner

Verner Bentsen

AO. Vejle, Brusk, Vejle, 1892-1908, opslag 220.

Married: Karl Marius Olsen to Marie Lauesen 3. Apr. 1901.

mvh Verner

Verner Bentsen

AO. Vejle, Brusk, Vejle, 1892-1908
Brothers:
opslag 53: Arne Søren Olsen, 21. Dec. 1906
opslag 60: Georg Lindelof Olsen, 8. Jun. 1908

AO. Vejle, Brusk, Vejle, 1909-1944
Sisters:
Emilie Mathilde Olsen, 27. Feb. 1910
Esther Kristine Olsen, 16. jul. 1911

mvh Verner

Karin Ott Kristensen

Hi Verner,

I may be wrong here but it seems the ship is from Norway. My own dad went to sea from Norway rather than Denmark, so it's possible that Henry (Copenhagen) did as well.

Citat fra: Verner Bentsen [62] Dato 08 Nov 2013 - 14:01
Henry F Olsen arriving New York Dec. 25. 1917 is from Norway.
Your Henry should be Henry E(mil) Olsen. There are no Olsens from Denmark.

mvh Verner

Karin Ott Kristensen

In the Danish thread the father of Henry from Kolding (not my relative) has been found in 1880 at the age of 4 at "Randers, Øster Lisbjerg, Egaa, Skjæring By, Egaa Sogn, en Gaard, 2, FT-1880, C1422".

As the father of Henry from Kolding, Olaf/Oluf Peter Olsen, Jan. 13-1861, was born in Copenhagen there doesn't seem to be a relationship between the two - and thus no explanation as to why the drawing of the young native american woman should be my dad's cousin (or just relative)  ???

Verner Bentsen

Here are the correct infos about brothers and sisters. Parish should be Harte, and some dates were the baptism.

AO. Vejle, Brusk, Harte, 1892-1908
Brothers:
opslag 53: Arne Søren Olsen, 16. 9. 1906
opslag 60: Georg Lindelof Olsen, 28. Apr. 1908

AO. Vejle, Brusk, Harte, 1909-1924
Sisters:
opslag 60: Emilie Mathilde Olsen, 21. Jan. 1910
opslag 64: Esther Kristine Olsen, 23. Jun. 1911

AO FT1916 Vejle, Brusk, Harte opslag 45.

mvh Verner

Verner Bentsen

The father of Henry from Kolding is Karl Marius Olsen, born Egå sogn 23. dec.1875. He was not born in Copenhagen!!

Marriage attached. You can also find it here:
AO. Vejle, Brusk, Harte, 1892-1908, opslag 220.
Married: Karl Marius Olsen to Marie Lauesen 3. Apr. 1901.
Same names as Homer has found.

mvh Verner

Karin Ott Kristensen

Definately two different Henry Emil Olsen, and their fathers are not brothers.

And I see now that the Henry E. from the second ship list is indeed Norwegian.

In the other thread it has been suggested that I look for the papers after Hansine's death. She was the mother of Henry from Copenhagen and my great grandmother.

Verner Bentsen

AO, Skt Markus, Sokkelund, København 1925-1946 opslag 303.
Death: Hansine Marie Olsen b. Rasmussen 11. Jul.1946. Same address as FT1930.
Married to Olaf Peter Olsen, Sct. Johannes parish, 5. Jul. 1891.

mvh Verner

Karin Ott Kristensen

You are a wonder, Verner  :D I was just getting ready to have to look for the death of Hansine. Now I can focus on finding the settling of her 'estate' (no money I'm sure but hopefully addresses).

vintage_tube

I know Henry Emil Olsen - he was my grandfather, his son Carl was my step-father.  Henry & his wife, Pearl also had a daughter, Sonja. 

I won't say much more until I hear from you Karin Ott Kristensen.

Best to all from the USA.

Bob