Who's Jens Benten's wife?

Startet af Jan McLaughlin, 25 Aug 2013 - 02:35

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Jan McLaughlin

I cannot read the name of the mother in this birth record for Peder Bentsen.  Can you?
1646-1803
Skelby, Tybjerg, Praesto
Opslag 112
Peder

Thank you so much.

Jan

Pamela Alley

Hi Jan

It doesn't say her name but it's probably Cathrine Nielsdatter. I'd check the deaths and marriages between 1780 and 1787 to make sure Jens didn't have a wife that died in that time frame but the census indicates Peder is the child of Jens and Cathrine. There are 2 Jens Bentzens in the 1787 Skelby census so you may also want to check the children in this census against any other known children, but the other family didn't have a child Peder and this Peder is the right age.

Samtlige personer i husstanden

Præstø, Tybjerg, Skelby, Schielbye, En gaard, 8, FT-1787, C0012
Navn:    Alder:    Civilstand:      Stilling i husstanden:      Erhverv:      Fødested:
Jens Bentzen   67    Gift   Mand   Gmd. Kirkeværge, Sognefoged   
Cathrine Nielsdatter   45    Gift   Kone      
Christopher Jensen   28    Ugift   Mandens barn af 2det Ægteskab      
Anna Jensdatter   15    Ugift   Deres barn      
Hans Jensen   13    Ugift   Deres barn      
Peder Jensen   8    Ugift   Deres barn      
Niels Bastiansen   18    Ugift   Tjenestedreng

Regards

Pam Alley

Jan McLaughlin

Thank you, Pam!  You are right.  There was a first wife who had 4-6 children before Catherine.  You have opened up a whole new bunch of relatives for me!  Thank you so much!  Jan

Ralph Rasmussen

The 1787 census notes that Catherine is his fourth wife.

I have missed the deaths and marriages that intervene between Christopher's birth to Jens's 'second wife', per the census, Maren Christophersdatter (opslag 97) and Catherine.

In a number of years up to 1762, the mother is generally named.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Jan McLaughlin

Well, now that you have pointed out that there were 2 Jens Bentzen's in Praesto, Tybjerg, Skelby, I have begun to doubt whether I have the right one.  In my amateur way, I have tried to read the church records and came up with a long list of children of Jens.  I found only two wives: Maren Christophersdatter and you added Cathrine Nielsdatter.  One Jens was born about 1820 and the other 1826, even though my unsourced record says 1829.  Now I don't know who's my grandfather...   :(

Ralph Rasmussen

The Peder in the birth record would be Peder Jensen, since he is baptized outside of Copenhagen.  Outside of a few cities and Schlevig/Holstein, patronyms were the rule until well into the nineteenth century.

We may be able to find Peder Bentsen's birth and confirmation or marriage if you share what you have documented of his life and family.

The 1845 census may be a key.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Jan McLaughlin

Ralph, I am very confused.  Here is the info I have on Peder Jensen

Birth of Peder Jensen 1646-1803 Skelby, Tybjerg, Praesto opslag 112
4th item left side
Confirmation? 1796
1739-1814 Skelby Tybjerg, Praesto:  1796 Schielbye

There are two Jens Bentzen's in Praesto, Tybjerg, Skelby; one in Schielbye, the other in Troellose.  I think my Jens is the one in Schielbye, or at least that's the one I have tracked.

Jan

Inger Toudal

According to http://ddd.dda.dk/soeg_oeders.html there's only one Jens Bentzen, married for the 3rd time, in Skelby in 1771:

Kilde:    OE-1771
Mandens navn:    Jens Bentzen   Mandens erhverv:    Gaardmand og lever allene af Bondevæsen
Mandens alder:    50   Mandens civilstand:    Gift
Mandens nr. ægteskab:    3   Mand død (ja/nej):    Nej
Hustru død (ja(nej):    Nej   Hustrus alder:    43
Hustrus civilstand:    Gift   Hustrus nr. ægteskab:    1
Sogn:    Skelby   Herred:    Tybjerg
Amt:    Præstø   Stednavn:    1
Indtastningsnr:    C2397   Løbenr.:    7

It must be this Jens Bentzen (in Skielbye) who gets married in 1772 (Skelby, Tybjerg, Præstø 1646-1803, opslag 154, right hand page, at the bottom). The couple was betrothed 20 April 1772, but the name of the bride, and the marriage date are illegible.

Best regards,
Inger Toudal
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Inger Toudal

Maren Jens Bentzens' wife died 43 years old and was buried 6 March 1772. She left behind 2 children, born in a marriage that lasted for about 6 years. She was her husband's 3rd wife (Skelby 1646-1803, opslag 225, right hand page, entry No 6 in 1772).

Inger T.
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Ralph Rasmussen

Taking the marriage in opslag 154 up to 125%, the marriage date appears to be 18 October, Trinity 2x. 

Her given name is Catherine, as the godmother top right of opslag 106.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Inger Toudal

Jens Bentsens's wife in Schielbye, Catrine Nielsdatter, 56 years old, was buried 3rd Sunday after Trinity (29 June) 1800 (Skelby 1646-1803, opslag 235, right hand page, 3rd entry in 1800).

Præstø, Tybjerg, Skelby, Schjelbye By (Skelby), , 8, FT-1801, B8980
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Position in household:      Occupation:      
Jens Bendtsen   81    Enke   Mand   Husmand med jord og lægdmand   
Kirsten Jensdatter   30    Ugift   Hans datter   Nyder almisse af sognet, da hun er vanfør   
Carl Friderich Jensen   6    Ugift   Et feriebarn fra landet   

Inger T.
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Jan McLaughlin

Ralph, Pam and Inger, you have all been so helpful to me.  Thank you so much!  Jens Bentsen lived to be ninety!  He outlived all his wives!  What a guy he must have been.  He was my fifth great grandfather.  Thank you again for all your help.

Jan