Christensen and Porsborg families

Startet af Alicia Stover, 30 Dec 2010 - 21:53

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Alicia Stover

Hello, I am just beginning to look for possible relatives in Denmark and am not sure where to begin.  I have a document that lists my great-grandmother's home as Lyngby By.  My great-grandmother Frederikke Christensen married Frederick vilhelm Julius Jensen around 1890ish.  A picture of the family says it was taken at Testrukgaard, Lyngby, Jylland.  From there they moved to E. Skorringe, Lolland and finally they moved to Pueblo, Colorado, USA in 1904.  They had a herd of registered holstein cows that they brought with them and started a dairy just outside of Pueblo.

Frederikke and her siblings - Kristine (also listed as Christine) Marie, Jensine, Laura Jorgine and Anton Carl, were born to Jens and Maren Christensen.  Jens died in 1880 so Maren married Ludvig Porsborg from Stovring.  Ludvig took over the family farm, Bojbjaerggaard.

As far as I know, Frederikke was the only one to leave Denmark and so I am curious as to the family that stayed back home and how to go about locating them.  I am also interested in learning the past and more about my great-grandfather's family, but I will do that another time. 

I have always fascinated with Denmark and want to learn as much as I can about the country and where my family comes from.  Any help on where to start is very much appreciated.

Venlig Hilsen,
Alicia Stover

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Alicia,

You will find Maren in her 2nd marriage here (from www.ddd.dda.dk):

aalborg, Hellum, Lyngby, Lyngby Mark, Lyngby Sogn, Bosbjergaard, 147, FT-1890, D3730
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Ludvig Porsborg 39  Gift Husfader Gaardeier Støvring
Maren Porsborg 39  Gift Husmoder  Lyngby
Frederikke Christensen 15  Ugift Barn  Lyngby
Krestine Christensen 14  Ugift Barn  Lyngby
Sine Christensen 13  Ugift Barn  Lyngby
Laura Christensen 12  Ugift Barn  Lyngby
Anton Christensen 11  Ugift Barn  Lyngby
Poul Nielsen 56  Ugift Tjenestetyende  Svenstrup
Chresten Jensen 19  Ugift Tjenestetyende  Dollerup
Laurine Andersen 28  Ugift Logerende  Støvring
Anker A.P. Andersen 3  Ugift Logerende  Dronninglund
Anton A. Andersen 1  Ugift Logerende  N. Sundby

The family is here in 1880 - Maren married to Jens - and with a Frederikke 5 years old:

aalborg, Hellum, Lyngby, Lyngby By og Sogn, En Gaard, Nr.5, FT-1880, C2502
Jens Christensen 32  Gift Husfader Gaardejer  Her i Sognet
Maren Christensen født Jørgensen 30  Gift Hans Hustru  Her i Sognet
Frederikke Christensen 5  Ugift deres Barn  Her i Sognet
Kristine Marie Christensen 4  Ugift deres Barn  Her i Sognet
Jens Sine Christensen 3  Ugift deres Barn  Her i Sognet
Larsine Jørgine Christensen 2  Ugift deres Barn  Her i Sognet
Anton Carl Christensen 1  Ugift deres Barn  Her i Sognet
Frederikke Christensen 72  Enke Husfaderens Moder (Jens' mother) der af ham forsørges  Her i Sognet
Andreas Christensen 34  Ugift Tjenestefolk  Her i Sognet
Peder Christensen 14  Ugift Tjenestefolk  Skibsted Sogn Aalborg Amt
Else Sørensen 21  Ugift Tjenestefolk  Her i Sognet
Ane Marie Jepsen 14  Ugift Tjenestefolk  Skibsted sogn Aalborg Amt

Lissa

Lissa Pedersen

Emigration records for the family, if you don't have them:

Name:  Jensen, Frederikke Occupation:  Hustru
Contract no.:  64500 Registration date:  3/18/1904
Birth place:  Testrup Birth place:  Teestrup
Last res. parish:  Nakskov (Lolland) Last res. county:  Maribo
Last residence:  Nakskov Destination country:  USA
Destination city:  Pueblo Destination state:  Colorado
Name of ship:  United States
Remarks:  ANM: Tidl. annulleret (earlier cancelled). Henv. se nr. J1912. IDcode:  D0304J2207

Name:  Jensen, Frits Occupation:  Landarbejder

Name:  Jensen, Chr. Occupation:  Barn

Name:  Jensen, Sofie Occupation:  Barn

Name:  Jensen, Lyngby Occupation:  Barn

Name:  Jensen, Arthur Occupation:  Barn

Lissa

Lissa Pedersen

Alicia Stover

Thank you!  I am so very excited!  I have always wondered where or what these locations are/look like. 

I didn't have the full records of emigration so this is a big help as well.  I have a letter from a relative written long ago trying to fill in some blanks on the family and so it is a little bit hard to trace through at times and identify locations.  This document I have goes back to Christen Laursen, fodt 1719 in Lyngby and gift med Ane Sorensdatter i 1754 and they settled in Bojbjerggaard. 

One question I do have is how to determine locations of Lyngby?  I have seen Lyngby near Copenhagen and then I have it listed on Jylland.  Is there a trick to knowing which Lyngby?

Thank you so very much again!
Alicia  

Lissa Pedersen

Alicia,

You will find Lyngby east of Store Brøndum in the northern part of Jutland on the east coast.

You will find Lyngby church here: http://dis-danmark.dk/kirkeimg/view_stor.asp?KirkeID=2220

Try this: www.degulesider.dk - write Tvoruphøjevej 16 Skørping in the 2nd box and click "søg" = search - click on "kort" = map, then you will find a Bøjbjerggaard (don't know whether it's the old farm, probably not?). You can see an aerial photo = "luftfoto".

Try this too - you can use the street view: http://maps.google.dk/maps?hl=da&rlz=1R2SKPB_daDK367&wrapid=tlif12937510801981&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Tvoruph%C3%B8jevej+16+Lyngby&fb=1&gl=dk&hnear=Hvidovre&cid=0,0,11160772865829124546&ei=FxQdTYyeFoKp8QOn4LyxBQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQnwIwAA

Lissa

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Alicia

Christen Laursen married Ane Sørensdatter on 5 Jul 1754 in Lyngby, Hellum, Aalborg, opslag 208.  I will try to find out more about them.

Best regards,
Paul
North Carolina, USA

Homer Ficken

Attached is the family on manifest of the ship United States that Lissa found, having departed Copenhagen March 18th and arriving NY April 2nd.   Fritz listed that he was joining a brother August Jensen in Pueblo.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Alicia Stover

Thank you both again for your help the map actually helped me to find yet another relative (one of the sons of sons of sons) who was married in Skibsted.

In my letter it does say that "Bojbjerggaard, som tilhorer Randrup Gods." So, the way I translate that is that Bojbjerggaard belonged to Randrup?  No sure what Gods. is...  It looks like Soren was the caretaker of Bojbjerggaard?  It does show that as inheiritance Kirsten (Soren's daughter) would be allowed to get married at the "Gaarden".  I don't know if this helps determine farm or estate or what it is.  Last record I have on that location is "nuvaerende indehaver: Svend Porsborg" i 1940 (I translate that to present owner? - I am also trying to teach myself Danish and there aren't many Danes around my area so I thank you for helping me to translate as well)

Bojbjreggaard ejedes i 1787 af Randrup Gods.
1787 Soren Christensen  - AEgt. Gaardmand
   Anna Sorensdatter - AEgt. Kone
   2 Karle, 2 Piger

1801 Soren Christensen - Aegt. Gaardfaester
   Anna Sorensdatter - Aegt. Kone
   Christen Sorensen - Born
   Soren  " - Born
   Kirsten " - Born
   1 Karle, 1 Pige

Etc...

This has been a great day and I thank you for your help!

Lissa Pedersen

Found the marriage of Frederikke and Frederik:

Married 1 Aug 1893 in Lyngby parish - opslag No. 95 (1892-1899).

Frederik was born 22 Jan 1865 in Testrup parish, Rinds district, Viborg county to Kristian Magnus Jensen, on Testrupgaard, and Sofie Martine born Schaarup - opslag 11 in the parish (1855-1872).

Lissa

Lissa Pedersen

viborg, Rinds, Testrup, Thestrup, Gaard, 32, FT-1870, D4045
Christian Magnus Jensen 45  Gift husfader gaardejer Ringsted, Sorø Amt
Sophie Martine Jensen 43  Gift husmoder  Randers
Anna Charlotte Jensen 14  Ugift barn  Thestrup Sogn, Viborg Amt
Jens Jacob August Jensen 12  Ugift barn  Thestrup Sogn, Viborg Amt
Caroline Vilhelmine Martine Jensen 8  Ugift barn  Thestrup Sogn, Viborg Amt
Frits Vilhelm Julius Jensen 5  Ugift barn  Thestrup Sogn, Viborg Amt
B? Antoinette Nicoline Jensen 21  Ugift lærerinde  Aarhus Amt
Karen Kirstine Gunildsen 24  Ugift tjenestepige  Guldager, Simested Sogn, Viborg Amt
Ane Britta Olsen 32  Enke tjenestepige  Sverige
Anders Christensen 21  Ugift tjenestekarl  Østerbølle Sogn, Viborg Amt
Christen Mortensen 62  Gift røgter  Hole, Lovns Sogn, Aalborg Amt
Julius Christensen 15  Ugift tjenestedreng  Holsted, Præstø Amt

viborg, Rinds, Testrup, Testrupgaard Testrup Sogn, Gaard, 1, FT-1880, c9252
Christian Magnus Jensen 56  Gift Husfader Gaardmand  Ringsted Sjælland
Sophie Martine født Schaarup 54  Gift hans Kone  Randers Kjøbstad
Caroline Martine Vilhelmine Jensen 18  Ugift deres Børn  Testrup
Fritz Vilhelm Julius Jensen 15  Ugift deres Børn  Testrup
Hendrik Nielsen 26  Ugift Tjenestefolk  Haderup Viborg Amt
Ole Carl Møller 24  Ugift Tjenestefolk  Hauderslev Aalborg Amt
Frederik Thomsen 20  Ugift Tjenestefolk  Østerbølle Viborg Amt
Anne Catharine Jensen 20  Ugift Tjenestefolk  Testrup
Kristine Frederike Jørgensen 17  Ugift Tjenestefolk  Testrup
Anne Catharine Veirhane 11  Ugift Tjenestefolk  Vensyssel

Lissa

Lissa Pedersen

Gods = estate

The estates very often owned bigger farm/farms.

Married at the farm would be allowed to be married at home/at the farm - I think.

Nuværende ejer = present owner

Bojbjerggaard in 1787 owned by Randrup Estate
1787 Soren Christensen  - AEgt. farmer/farm owner
   Anna Sorensdatter - AEgt. Wife
   2 servants/farmhands, 2 girls/maids

1801 Soren Christensen - Aegt. tenant on a farm
   Anna Sorensdatter - Aegt. Wife
   Christen Sorensen - Children
   Soren  " - Children
   Kirsten " - Children
   1 servant/farmhand, 1 girl/maid

Please give the link, where you found the above.

Lissa

Lissa Pedersen

About Testrupgaard (from 1399) - found here: http://www.oesterboellekirke.dk/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=18&Itemid=28

Translated by using Google:

"......

In 1854 the farm was sold to Magnus Jensen, who had a somewhat remarkable wife. In 1876 the farm burned, and during questioning Mrs. Jensen said that it could be, that a glow was on a pair of clogs, which she threw up in the attic.

In 1878 there was another fire at Testrupgard, a stable wing burned and the fire spread accidentally to the new house, a boy was blamed, but it was told that Mrs. Jensen confessed on her deathbed that it was she who started the fire.

In 1890, his son Fritz Jensen took over the farm, but he was not doing too well, and in 1903 Testrup was sold on an auction, and there were several owners until Lars Pedersen, who is from Søndervang in Testrup, in 1908 bought the farm.

......"

Lissa

Lissa Pedersen

A bit about Christian Magnus Jensen of Testrupgaard:

http://ddd.dda.dk/nygaard/visning_billed.asp?id=176549&sort=e

and here:

http://ddd.dda.dk/nygaard/visning_billed.asp?id=176550&sort=e

Lissa

PS: This could be the brother in the US:

Navn:  Jensen, Jens Jacob Stilling:  Mejerist (dairyman)
Alder:  31 Bestemmelsessted:  Crown Point, Ind.
Kontrakt nr.:  628300 Forevisningsdato:  11/14/1889
Fødested:  ? Fødesogn:  ?
Sidste oph.sogn:  Testrup Sidste oph. amt:  Viborg
Sidste oph.sted:  Thestrup, Viborg Bestemmelses land:  USA
Bestemmelses by:  Crown Point Bestemmelses stat:  Indiana
Skibsnavn:  Indirekte
IDkode:  I8990I4610

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Children of Christen Laursen all born in Lyngby
Kirsten baptized 6 Feb 1755, opslag 134.
Johanna baptized 4 Sep 1757, opslag 139
Søren baptized 1760, opslag 143
Laurs baptized 24 Feb 1762, opslag 149
   buried 10 Mar 1762, opslag 197
Laurs baptized 1763, opslag 151

Possible death of Christen Laursen - 2 Trin 1762, opslag 197
Possible death of Christen Laursen's son 1765, opslag 199.

Sincerely,
Paul

Alicia Stover

Hi Lissa,

Thank you for the fun information.  It is fun to know there are some characters in our past, that they aren't boring for sure.

The information I have on Bojbjreggaard with the listing of Karle and Piger comes from a typed up page that a relative had sent to my mother's cousin.  There is no date indicating when it was sent or who it was sent to.  It is signed Marie og Jens Porsborg, Store Brondum.  I do have an old copy of a "Family Tree (Stamtovle) 1768 - 1954 Register #20500 19912 Christen Jensen, Born Lyngby, Denmark 21/2/1768 - 4/10/1839" so I would assume that this was sent sometime in the 1950s. 

My mother recently passed away and I found these documents that started me on this path to find more information.  Unfortunately there isn't anyone left here that has any connection or information on the family, although several of us are curious.

I am wondering what Enkemd. or g. in front of Grdmd means.  They then shift to Enke, Jordbruger and then g. Gaardejer.  As the history of Bojbjreggaard goes on these are the terms used. 

If I can provide anything else I am more than happy to try to find the information!  I am very excited about all the feedback and help from everyone!

Thank you all!

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Alicia,

Perhaps Christen Jensen in the 1801 census

Aalborg, Hellum, Lyngby, Torrup Lodskov, , , 13, FT-1801
Name:    Age:    Marital status:    Occupation in household:    Occupation:    Birth place:
Christen Jensen   33    Gift   husfader   skoleholder   
Karen Nielsdatter   38    Gift   husmoder      
Jens Kristensen   4    Ugift   deres børn      
Niels Kristensen   1    Ugift   deres børn      
Mette Kirstine Kristensdatter   5       deres børn   

and in the 1834 census

Aalborg, Hellum, Lyngby, Lyngbye, , Byens Skole, 29. Byens Skole, FT-1834
Name:    Age:    Marital status:    Occupation in household:    Occupation:    Birth place:
Christen Jensen   66    Enke(mand)      Skolelærer   
Frederica Christensdotter   26    Ugift      hans dotter

Paul

Alicia Stover

Thank you Paul, this does match up to my family and I think that I did see something in my letter mentioning that Christen Jensen was a Skolelaerer in Lyngby.    New branches to follow!

Navn:  Jensen, Jens Jacob Stilling:  Mejerist (dairyman) is Fritz's brother, August. 

From what I know, August sent word that he found a place for the family to move their dairy and so Fritz and Frederikke packed up the cows and moved to Pueblo.  Shortly after the family moved, the brother's quit speaking to one another.  Through cemetary records and the census I found out the flu epidemic hit August's (Jens Jacob) family and most of them died in 1918 or so.

Thank you all for your help and giving me places to look and new areas to check into!  What a wonderful bunch you all are!

Alicia Stover