1771 burial in Vrå parish - need help with ONE WORD

Startet af Timothy Parrott, 11 Feb 2013 - 08:24

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Timothy Parrott

In the church register for Vrå parish (1765-1814, opslag 192), I found a burial record (#3 for the year 1771), but cannot read one word: "den 17 April beg. Thomas Jensens Hustrue paa _________ navnlig Else Lauridtzdaatter 60 aar gl." The missing word almost looks like "vindjorden," but that is only a GUESS. Perhaps someone with knowledge of burial customs in Denmark at this time might have a clue...

Nancy Petersen

I read it also as "Vindjorden". I do not believe it has something to do with the funeral, but with the place where they live. But unfortunately I can not get any closer.

Nancy

David Peterson

Timothy:

While it is not a "hard-and-fast" rule, I have often noticed that the prepositions can give some clue as to the type of place being referenced.  If you look at most of the surrounding entries, they mostly use "i" with the name a town or parish.  Occasionally you see "fra".  However, in this case, it uses "paa".  To my experience, that often indicates that the name of an estate or simply a farm name is being used.

I scanned through the nearby pages for any other occurrence of "paa V..." and I found one on opslag 194, entry 16.  Unfortunately, it is also a poorly-rendered word and doesn't offer much help.  The entry is the death of child Thomas, son of Hans Thomsen, at age 1/2 year plus 4 months in April of 1773.

Opslag 58 has the birth of this child Thomas,  in mid-1772, and fortunately, the name of the place is more clearly rendered: "paa Vildjorden".

Krabsen's name database has no such name, but perhaps it is just the name of a small farm.

A chance search in Google comes up with a lucky hit: there is a transcription of the name index for the Vrejlev Kloster estate's tenant contracts [Navneregister til fæsteprotokol, Vrejlev kloster 1699-1845] at http://rigmornoergaard.tripod.com/Faestebreve_fra_Vrejlev_Kloster.htm

(NOTE: I would not go to this site unless you have very good anti-virus software in place. tripod sites are notorious for virus infections.

The index entry says:
1758, Thomas Jensen, sted i Borup, [kaldet Vildjorden], på 0-1-1-1 tdr. hartkorn.

The parenthetical name of the "place in Borup" (town to the north of Vrå) appears to be the name of the farm.  With the small valuation and a name like "The wild land", I imagine that it wasn't a great piece of land.  So it is not surprising that I don't readily see it on any of the maps at historiskatlas.dk.

Later in the index, there is an entry:
9. marts 1771, Hans Thomsen, hus på Borup hede på 0-3-1-1 tdr. hartkorn, som hans far Thomas Jensen har afstået til ham pga. alderdom og skrøbelighed. Aftægt til faderen

So that definitely links father and son together on the same land, although the farm name is not given in the later entry.

This entry also more specifically identifies the general location as "Borup hede" which is to the northwest of Borup village.  On the map, I see lots of unnamed parcels, so it is probably one of those. You would probably have to go the actual land records and maps to get its matrikel number and specific location.

David Peterson

Timothy Parrott

Thank you, David. You have provided the definitive answer to my question AND a wealth of other relevant information as well! I hadn't even thought about looking through other records for other occurences of "paa ..." in place-names. You've taught me another trick I will definitely be using in the future. Thank you again.