Holbaek in Sjaelland

Startet af Julie Pickett, 30 Dec 2010 - 05:06

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Julie Pickett

Hello,

I went to the Statens Arkiver to see if I could find records for a person who was born in the "city of Holbaek in Sjaelland" (according to a descendent), but I'm not finding any Kirkebøger records for this location. I went to the census records and couldn't find this location there, either.

Is this location included in the archives?

Thank you for any help or direction you might provide.

Julie

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Hi Julie,

Try Holbæk amt, Merløse herred, Holæk Skt Nicolaj sogn.

Sincerely,
Paul

Julie Pickett

Thank you, Paul. I tried both of those locations, but did not find the records I'm seeking.

So you know where Sjaelland is?

Thanks again.

Julie

Anne Mortensen

Venlig hilsen
Anne Mortensen - 2770

Gustav Jørgensen

Give us some names and addresses
Gustav

Julie Pickett

Citat fra: Anne Mortensen  link=topic=5323.msg26683#msg26683 date=1293695696
Sjælland is an island with Holbæk county and Holbæk city

http://www.slaegtogdata.dk/kilder/sognekort

and only Holbæk county
http://www.slaegtogdata.dk/kilder/sognekort/holbaek-amt

Thank you for the information. What I'm thinking is that the descendent may be confusing Holbaek county for Holbaek city. Since I know the dates of birth, I will start looking at each parish in Holbaek county.

Here is the info that was sent to me. I want to provide this person with the tools  and links for him to do his own research, but I wanted to get him started on the right path by finding the first christening records for each of these two people.

"In particular I'm looking for the parents of Anna Marie Nord-Jensen (her name might be a slight variant from this, like Ane Marie Jensen Nord), b. 16 Oct 1845 in the city of Holbaek, in Sjaelland, Denmark. She married Frederick Pedersen, who was b. 14 Dec 1849 in the same city. They both came to the US before 1874. and settled in Wisconsin; not sure if they married in Denmark or the US."

Thanks again for your replies.

Julie

Jesper Skov

Try the census at http://ddd.dda.dk

e.g.

holbaek, Merløse, Søndersted, Borup, , 63.et boelssted, FT 1850, A7180
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Peder Rasmussen 43  gift  Husfader, lever af sin Jordlod Nørre Jernløse, Holbæk Amt
Karen Christensdatter 39  gift  hans kone ??
Christen Pedersen 15  ugift  deres barn født i sognet
Jens Pedersen 13  ugift  deres barn født i sognet
Maren Pedersen 11  ugift  deres barn født i sognet
Rasmus Pedersen 9  ugift  deres barn født i sognet
Ane Margrethe Pedersen 6  ugift  deres barn født i sognet
Bodil Pedersen 4  ugift  deres barn født i sognet
Frederik Pedersen 1  ugift  deres barn født i sognet

That Frederik Pedersen you will find born 14. dec. 1849 in Søndersted, Merløse, Holbæk 1842-1882 opslag 17.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Julie Pickett

Citat fra: Jesper Skov Dato 30 Dec 2010 - 17:24
Try the census at http://ddd.dda.dk

e.g.

holbaek, Merløse, Søndersted, Borup, , 63.et boelssted, FT 1850, A7180
Peder Rasmussen 43  gift  Husfader, lever af sin Jordlod Nørre Jernløse, Holbæk Amt
Karen Christensdatter 39  gift  hans kone ??
Christen Pedersen 15  ugift  deres barn født i sognet
Jens Pedersen 13  ugift  deres barn født i sognet
Maren Pedersen 11  ugift  deres barn født i sognet
Rasmus Pedersen 9  ugift  deres barn født i sognet
Ane Margrethe Pedersen 6  ugift  deres barn født i sognet
Bodil Pedersen 4  ugift  deres barn født i sognet
Frederik Pedersen 1  ugift  deres barn født i sognet

That Frederik Pedersen you will find born 14. dec. 1849 in Søndersted, Merløse, Holbæk 1842-1882 opslag 17.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov
Thank you very much Jesper! That's just the jump start we needed. Now I can get the descendant hooked up with research links and a great start. I will also point him to this forum for help as he is new to Danish research.

Thanks again for everybody's help!

Happy New Year!

Julie

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Julie,

The family is also here in 1855:

holbaek, Merløse, Søndersted, Borup, et Boelssted, 66 F1, FT-1855, C8689
Peder Rasmussen 48  Gift Boelsmd (Boelsmand), Huusfader  N. Jernløse (Nørrejernløse, Holbæk Amt)
Karen Christensen 44  Gift Hans Kone  Kundbye H. A. (Kundby, Holbæk Amt)
Ane Magrethe Pedersen 11  Ugift deres Børn  Her i Sognet (Søndersted Sogn, Holbæk Amt)
Bodil Marie Pedersen 9  Ugift deres Børn  Do (Søndersted Sogn, Holbæk Amt)
Frederik Pedersen 6  Ugift deres Børn  Do (Søndersted Sogn, Holbæk Amt)
Kirstine Pedersen 2  Ugift deres Børn  Do (Søndersted Sogn, Holbæk Amt)

And the mother and father here in 1880 together with a son and his wife:

holbaek, Merløse, Søndersted, Søndersted By, Søndersted sogn, et hus, 12, FT-1880, B0324
Jens Petersen 42  Gift husfader, huseier  her i Byen [Søndersted]
Katinka Marie Bang 42  Gift hans hustru  N. Jernløse sogn, Holbek Amt
Peder Rasmussen 72  Gift huseierens fader, nyder aftægt af stedet  N. Jernløse sogn, Holbek Amt
Karen Christensen 67  Gift huseierens moder, nyder aftægt af stedet  Kundby sogn, Holbek Amt

Lissa

Lissa Pedersen

And more here - 1845:

holbaek, Merløse, Søndersted, Søndersted by, Hus, 55, FT-1845, C1548
Peder Rasmussen 38  Gift  Husmand Nørre Jernløse
Karen Christiansdatter 32  Gift   Kundby
Christian Pedersen 10  Ugift   Søndersted
Jens Pedersen 8  Ugift   Søndersted
Maren Pedersdatter 6  Ugift   Søndersted
Rasmus Perdersen 4  Ugift   Søndersted
Ane M. Pedersdatter 1  Ugift   Søndersted
Hans Torkildsen 75  Enke  Aftægt Tuse
Jørgen Pedersen 41  Gift  Arbejdsmand Undløse
Ellen Kristine Hansdatter 35  Gift   Søndersted
Peder Jørgensen 10  Ugift   Søndersted
Hans Jørgensen 7  Ugift   Søndersted

And in 1840:

holbaek, Merløse, Søndersted, Borup, et Huus, 53-F1, FT-1840, C2617
Peder Rasmussen 33  Gift  Huusmand  
Karen Christensdatter 27  Gift  hans Kone  
Christen Pedersen 5  Ugift  deres Børn  
Jens Pedersen 3  Ugift  deres Børn  
Maren Pedersdatter 1  Ugift  deres Børn  
Hans Thorkildsen 70  Enkemand  Inderste og Aftægtsmand

Lissa

Lissa Pedersen

This could be Karen Christensdatter with parents and a brother in 1834 (she was born in Kundby parish):

holbaek, Tuse, Kundby, Kundby, en Gaard, 17, FT-1834, C4587
Christen Nielsen 52  Gift  Gaardmand  
Bodil Larsdatter 50  Gift  Hans kone  
Niels Christensen 15  Ugift  Deres børn  
Karen Christensdatter 22  Ugift  Deres børn  
Ane Christensdatter 21  Ugift  Deres børn  
Niels Madsen 29  Ugift  Tjenestekarl

If you try to find her birth in Kundby parish, this could confirm ...

Lissa

Julie Pickett

Hello Lissa,

Thank you very much for the research and information. I have given this information to the relative along with instructions on how to join this forum and this thread. Hopefully he will join us here soon.

Kind regards,

Julie

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Julie,

Perhaps also tell him about the link to find place names: www.krabsen.dk.

Lissa

Julie Pickett

Hello,

He is very grateful for the information. It has confirmed what he had from another source and gave him additional information. He has more complete information on Frederik, but Ane Marie Jensen is more of the mystery. I am working on that.

One thing that would help is knowing when Frederik left Denmark and whether or not he was already married. I found a departure record for him in the Sondersted, Merlose, Holbaek register, opslag 267, line 12. It looks like he was 14 when he departed. I'm not sure what the other information on the page means. Could somebody take a look at it and help me understand it? Thank you.

I did look through the Sondersted marriage records, but did not find anything for Frederik. This isn't surprising if he left Sondersted in 1864. I did find his confirmation record in 1864 (Sondersted, opslag 200). He must have been confirmed and then left??

Thank you for your help.

Julie

Jesper Skov

A possibility is

Ane Marie Nor-Jensen born 26. okt. 1844 in Ruds Vedby, Løve, Holbæk 1833-1855 opslag 91.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Julie Pickett

Citat fra: Jesper Skov Dato 30 Dec 2010 - 21:55
A possibility is

Ane Marie Nor-Jensen born 26. okt. 1844 in Ruds Vedby, Løve, Holbæk 1833-1855 opslag 91.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov
Thank you. That certainly looks like a possibility. Do you have any theories why the 'Nor' was inserted in the record like that and what it would mean?

Regards,

Julie

Lissa Pedersen

Ane Marie's parents and siblings:

holbaek, Løve, Ruds Vedby, Vedbye Bye, Et Huus, 58, FT-1840, C6763
Jens Kristensen 33  Gift  Huusmand og Dagleier  
Hanne Jensen 37  Gift  Hans kone  
Peder Jensen 6  Ugift  Deres børn  
Kristian Jensen 4  Ugift  Deres børn  
Kirstine Jensen 2  Ugift  Deres børn

This must be Ane Marie, parents and siblings:

holbaek, Løve, Ruds Vedby, Wedby, 1 Huus ved Conradineslyst, 79, FT-1845, C2140
Jens Christensen 39  Gift  Arbeidsmand Unløse S. H.A.
Johanne Marie 40  Gift  hans Kone Kjøbenhavn
Christian Jensen 8  Ugift  deres Børn Her i Sognet
Karen Jensdatter 6  Ugift  deres Børn Ibd [Her i Sognet]
Hans Jensen 4  Ugift  deres Børn Ibd [Her i Sognet]
Ane Marie Jensdatter 1  Ugift  deres Børn Ibd [Her i Sognet]

And in 1850:

holbaek, Løve, Ruds Vedby, Vedby Hestehauge, 1 hus, 106, FT-1850, C8465
Jens Christensen 44  Gift  Lever af sin jordlod Undløse, Holbæk Amt
Johanne M. Jensen 46  Gift  Hans Hustru København
Christian Jensen 14  Ugift  Deres barn Her i Sognet
Hans Jensen 10  Ugift  Deres barn Her i Sognet
Karen Jensen 8  Ugift  Deres barn Her i Sognet
Ane Jensen 6  Ugift  Deres barn Her i Sognet

Lissa

PS: The departure list only says:

Frederik Pedersen, 14 years old, leaving Borup, travelling to Holbæk

Ane Marie's confirmation is on opslag 181 (1849-1892) in Ruds Vedby. It seems, as if the Nor is this time Noer ..

Chris Nelson

Hi everyone,

I'm the one who Julie has been helping, and the info has been a major help in a genealogical line I had long thought impossible to continue working on.

Thank you for your help!

In my records I have two possible birthdates for Anna Marie Nord-Jensen; the other happens to be 26 Oct 1844! It is indeed her.

Here's some stuff I have on Frederick Peterson (Frederik Pedersen) from my old notes:

"Having sailed aboard a ship named 'Runkel', he arrived in New York with wife Anna Marie and [younger] sister Christine, then settled in Wisconsin. According to the article 'Christine Pedersen Ottosen', they arrived in the US on April 1, 1874. However, this conflicts with daughter Trena's birthplace and birthdate [28 Feb 1874, Wisconsin]. Arthur Nelson's genealogical chart says they arrived in 1871, probably closer to the truth. According to the 1900 census, they came to the US in 1872."

"Frederick Pedersen was also born at Holbaek, Sjaelland. He had secured the common school education offered in the schools of Denmark. He came to America at the age of 22 in order to escape the compulsory military training."

A mention is made in the Ottosen Family History that Frederick first married someone named Carrie. He did have a daughter named Karen, who went by the name Carrie.

Here is an excerpt from the story of Frederick's father Peder Rasmussen, from a written narrative passed down the family line:

"When Peder was 26 years old his father became very ill. The Count called Peder to the Big House. The Count told him that his father was probably going to die and even if he got better he would no longer be able to head the Rasmussen family. Therefore, Peder, as the eldest son, would become head of the family. The Count said that Peder must marry. If Peder didn't have a girl in mind for his wife, one would be found for him. Peder didn't know any girls who were his age and single. He asked his master for a few days off and the request was granted. Peder went to his home, much saddened by what the Count had said about his father's impending death.

"Once Peder had been sent on an errand to the next county (or estate), known as Stroll. On Stroll there was a store that Peder had gone to for the master, to make purchases as he was told. The storekeeper had a daughter named Karen who had been very kind to Peder. She was large and strong but not very pretty. As Peder thought about all this, he decided he wanted a big woman because he was very tall.  He also wanted a woman who was smart and kind.... Karen was one social station higher than Peder, though this did not seem to be a problem 'unless a woman was marrying to go up.' Peder asked to talk to her father. Christine [Pedersen Ottosen, Peder's daughter] got a kick out of telling this, 'he went right to the man and he said, "I need to get married and I want your daughter!" The man said, "Which one? I have six!" Peder didn't even know her name.' He hadn't asked her if she wanted to marry him. They were married the next day (abt 1833) and went home."

Thank you all for helping me find out more about these people!

Julie Pickett

Nice to see you here, Chris.

Going back to the Peder Rasmussen line, I believe I found his christening record in Nørre Jernløse, Merløse, Holbæk (1800 - 1814) opslag 19 (right page, left column, the very bottom record). It says that his father was Rasmus Jespersen. I didn't see his mother's name listed.

I then found Peder's christening record in Norre Jernlose (1813-1843, opslag 174). (I'm a little confused about the birth date listed on the confirmation record and the record right above it that has a Hans Rasmussen confirmed at the same time with a birth date that matches Peder's.) I was hoping that the confirmation record would list his mother, but it didn't.

I looked through the marriage records for Norre Jernlose for the marriage of Peder and Karen, but didn't find it. Like your family history account says, he may have travelled to another  parish or county to find his bride and marry her.

Julie

Julie Pickett

Edited to clean up thread. This post was not pertinent as it was for the wrong family.

Julie Pickett

Edited to clean up thread. This post was not pertinent as it was for the wrong family.

Julie Pickett

Julie Pickett

Julie Pickett

Julie Pickett

This could be Peder Rasmussen in the 1834 census - not certain. He is still single at the time:

Holbæk, Merløse, Sønder Jernløse, Sd: (Sønder) Jernløse, , Nyekroe, 32, FT-1834
Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation in household: Occupation: Birth place:
Herman Wiliam Maxen 62  Enkemand  Kromand og Gjæstgiver 
Max Miliam Maxen 30  Ugift  examinatus juris, hans Sønner, forsørges af Faderen 
Søren Carl Maxen 27  Ugift  examinatus juris, hans Sønner, forsørges af Faderen 
Else Marie Petersen 14  Ugift  Pleiedatter 
Jens Jensen 33  Ugift  Tjenestefolk 
Peter Rasmusen 27  Ugift  Tjenestefolk 
Christian Ludvig Manfeldt 45  Ugift  Tjenestefolk 
Hans Hansen 20  Ugift  Tjenestefolk 
Niels Larsen 14  Ugift  Tjenestefolk 
Caroline Martinsdatter 25  Ugift  Tjenestefolk 
Maren Nielsdatter 27  Ugift  Tjenestefolk 
Johanne Jørgensdatter 21  Ugift  Tjenestefolk

I think it is possible that Peder and Karen weren't married before 1834, but shortly thereafter.

Regards,

Julie

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Julie and Chris,

I don't have much time right now but will take a look later.

Tried to find the ship "Runkel", but the closest hit was "Rugia". Could you try to find the family's emigration records when arriving to the US?

Very often Danes travelled "indirekte" (= indirect) which means they went from e.g. Copenhagen to ports in England and Germany and continued their journey from these ports.

Best regards and a Happy New Year
from Lissa

Chris Nelson

Wow, lots of info. Thank you!

Here's more info I got from my 4th cousin: she told me that Peder Rasmussen's parents were Rasmus Jeppesen (pretty close to Jespersen, so Jeppesen could easily be an error) and Anne Hansdatter. Also, Peder was supposedly born 19 Jul 1807, and died 16 Dec 1896 in Fredericksvaerk.

The immigration date of 1871 or 1872 is before Ellis Island was set up, so I wonder if there are earlier New York immigration records.

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Chris,

What about Castle Garden: http://www.castlegarden.org/?

CastleGarden.org is an educational project of The Battery Conservancy. This free site offers access to an extraordinary database of information on 11 million immigrants from 1820 through 1892, the year Ellis Island opened. Over 100 million Americans can trace their ancestors to this early immigration period.

Castle Garden, today known as Castle Clinton National Monument, is the major landmark within The Battery, the 25 acre waterfront park at the tip of Manhattan. From 1855 to 1890, the Castle was America's first official immigration center, a pioneering collaboration of New York State and New York City.

Lissa

Julie Pickett

Citat fra: Chris Nelson Dato 31 Dec 2010 - 16:02
Here's more info I got from my 4th cousin: she told me that Peder Rasmussen's parents were Rasmus Jeppesen (pretty close to Jespersen, so Jeppesen could easily be an error) and Anne Hansdatter. Also, Peder was supposedly born 19 Jul 1807, and died 16 Dec 1896 in Fredericksvaerk.
Hi Chris,

Your info confirms what I found. I don't know if you went and looked at the birth record I found for Peder, but he was born on 19 Jul 1807, so that is a match.

Regarding Jespersen/Jeppesen - Peder's birth and confirmation records really does look like his dad's name is spelled Jeppesen. It is interesting to note that in the confirmation records, the writer underlined the two p's in Jeppersen. There is a location listed for his father, but I can't read it. Also interesting is that in the confirmation records, if I'm reading it correctly, Peder's birth date is incorrectly listed as 3 Jul 1807. Adding to the confusion, there is an entry right above Peder's confirmation record for a Hans Rasmussen. His father is listed as Rasmus Jespersen of Hanerup and Hans was supposedly born 19 Jul 1807, which is the date from Peder's birth record. ?? I did not find a Hans Rasmussen born in that sogn in 1807. Perhaps somebody fluent in reading these records could take a look to see if there is other information that would help sort this out.  Peder's birth record is from Nørre Jernløse, Merløse, Holbæk (1800 - 1814) opslag 19 (right page, left column, the very bottom record). The confirmation record is found at Norre Jernlose, 1813-1843, opslag 174. 

Regarding Peder's death in Fredericksvaerk - there aren't parish records available for the years 1822 -1907 for that location, so I can't get his death record.

I searched Castle Garden a couple of days ago and did not find anything. I've also searched Ancestry's immigration records and found a couple of possibilitiies for Fred in 1872, but it's hard to know for sure. None that I found have Fred and Ane together, but perhaps Fred came over first??

Regards,

Julie

Julie Pickett

Hello,

I think I may have found the correct Rasmus and Ane as the parents of Peder:

Holbæk, Merløse, Nørre Jernløse, Nørrejernløse Bye, , , 33 familie, FT-1801
Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation in household: Occupation: Birth place:
Rasmus Jeppesen 40  Gift Mand Huusd: og Dagleier med Jord 
Ane Kjerstine Hansdatter 29  Gift Hans kone   
Else Rasmusdatter 4  Ugift Datter   
Kjersten Rasmussen 1  Ugift Datter

I'm sorry about the confusion.  Peder's birth record is still the correct one and it does say Rasmus Jeppeson was his father.

I'm very glad you pointed out that your records say Jepperson!

(I still don't understand the confirmation record having the birth dates switched.)

Kind regards,

Julie