Need help reading Elling parish christening record

Startet af Paul Jensen, 30 Jan 2013 - 21:17

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Paul Jensen

This is my first attempt to use this site. Any suggestions on using it will be appreciated.

I find a Maren Thomsdatter in the 1787 census of Elling, Hjorring, Denmark as follows:

Hjørring, Horns, Elling, SortKiær, , 147, FT 1787, A7087
Thomas Jensen          49       gift       huusfader       halvgrdmd       
Dorthe Hansdatter       53      gift        huusmoder             
Jens Thomsen          14                 Søn af 2det Ægtesk             
Maren Thomsdatter      21     ugift       Dattr af 2det Ægtesk             
Inger Thomsdatter       19                 Dattr af 2det Ægtesk

The census record also shows this is the 2nd marriage of Dorthe Hansdatter, and the first for Thomas Jensen.

I need help reading the original parish christening record for Maren Thomsdatter which I believe may be the record found on the Danish archives online at http://www.sa.dk/ao/ ,
1758-1818, Elling, Horns, Hjorring, Opslag 18, #25 for Maren Thomasdatter 31? Aug? 1766, (I think this is page 28 of the register). The record should be on the Salt Lake family history library film #48998 which they recommend searching online at http://www.arkivalieronline.dk/. This is the same site I listed above.

I am not sure about the date, and am having trouble reading the witnesses and where they are from.

I have made a copy of this record and placed it in a Word document which is attached as a .doc file. It also includes my attempt at translation. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for any assistance.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Ralph Rasmussen

My transcription:

? [Festum] Trefoldighed døbt Tho+
mas Jensøns og Hustrues
Datter af Sortkær ved
nafn Maren Rasmus
...stimer og Christen
R?abeks Hustruer, Ole
Hansøn af Bangsboe,
Jenss ........ ....
....... Michelss: af Halmene??

Baptized Trinity Sunday, Thomas Jensen of Sortekær and his wife's daughter, named Maren.
(Witnesses) Rasmus ?'s and Christen Rabæk's wives [who presumably presented the child at the baptismal font] and Ole Hansen and ? Michelsen of ?
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Paul Jensen

Thanks so much Ralph.
Question: doesn't the 14 before the word Trefoldighed mean the 14th Sunday after Trinity. The previous entry has a 10 before Trefoldighed, and the following is listed as 16 past Trinitatis. This is the first time I had encountered the feast day Trefoldighed.
Paul Jensen

Ralph Rasmussen

Absolutely.  It's the first time I have seen 'x Trefoldighed'.  English speakers may write 'Trinity XXI', for example, but I haven't previously seen 'x Trinity' in Danish, English, or German sources.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Lisbeth Balslev Pallesgaard

A bit more for the translation:

Witnesses:
Jens Rimer /Rimen og Christen
Stabeks hustruer, Ole
Hanssøn af Bangsboe,
Jens Jørgensen af Sortkier
og ? Michelsen af Holmen.

I've seen the last Michelsen called Axel, but I'm not sure of the reading.

Christen (Pedersen) Stabek's wife was Margrethe Sørensdatter (my ancestor).
Ole Hanssøn was the child's uncle, brother of Dorothea Hansdatter. He was a steward (ladefoged) at Bangsboe.

Kind regards
Lisbeth Pallesgaard

Paul Jensen

Thank you so much Lisbeth.

Do you happen to know whether this is the Maren Thomasdatter who married Jens Mikkelsen? I have not been able to find a marriage in either Elling or Lendum. However, a first child Dorthe,  confirmation appears in Lendum in 1817, (Lendum, Hjorring, Denmark parish register, Opslag 113, #5 of a daughter "Dorthe Jensdr of Norgaard, father Jens Mikelsen of Norgaard, age 14 ½ born 1802 Oct 5, vacc 1810 May 29" . No mother is listed.)  Later in the 1850 & 1880 census of Lendum it shows Dorthe's birth in Copenhagen.
Jens was single and living with his parents in Elling in 1801, listed as a national Soldat, so it is possible he could have been stationed in Copenhagen. However, so far I have not found a record there. In 1834 he Jens, age 63 is listed in Lendum married to Maren Thomsdatter, age 69.  I posted a much more detailed  query about Jens, Maren, and Dorthe yesterday about finding a marriage in Copenhagen, but if you have knowledge of the family, I would appreciate any information you might have.

Thanks again for your help.
Paul Jensen

Lisbeth Balslev Pallesgaard

I found a marriage October 20 1787 in Elling between Jørgen Jensen on Rimmen and Maren Thomasdatter from Sortkjær. (Elling 1758-1818 ops. 200). This must be the Maren bapt. 1766.

In the 1801 census they live in Rimmen, Jørgen aged 40 and Maren 34. They have three children at home.

Being a "landsoldat" did not mean you had to live away from home. Normally they worked as farmhands, and practiced "soldier" on Sundays.

Kind regards
Lisbeth Pallesgaard