Family sorensen

Startet af Michael Jørgensen, 21 Dec 2010 - 11:19

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Michael Jørgensen

Hi!
I try to find information about my grand grand father - Karl Rudolf Sorensen - dob November 26, 1891 in Denmark - married Matilda Kopf January 16, 1931.
At that time they were living at the addres 93 54 - Queens Blvrd, Rego Park N.Y.
I have tried to find out when my grand grand father died and more information about Matilda Kopf.
The family story is that my grand grand father died in the 1960ès!

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Michael

Homer Ficken

In 1917 he registered for the WW-1 draft in New Jersey (attached), and stated he was married, but did not list name of his wife.  He also listed that he was supporting his parents; did they come to USA also?

Unfortunately, most other US records do not include birth dates, and there are several Carl Sorensens listed who could be him.  He is not in the Social Security Death Index. which starts in the 1960s.

Do you know when he emigrated?

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Homer Ficken

Found that he also registered for the WW-2 draft in 1942 (attached).  Still then living at the Rego Park address with Mathilda.  Unfortunately, the 1940 census is not yet open to the public, which might provide more details, such as children.

Paul Londahl-Smidt

A Karl R. Sorensen died in Manhattan, New York City on 22 May 1942, Certificate nr 11393.  He was 50 years old.

A Matilda Sorensen died in the Bronx, New York City on 7 Nov 1943, age 52, certificate nr 11062.

I am not sure that these are your people, but their death certificates should tell the tale. I know that the Mormons have filmed the Manhattan and Bronx death certificates and they can be ordered through your local Family History Center.  This is the easiest and least expensive way to go.

Best regards,
Paul

Eva Morfiadakis

http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sfup&controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=1583293&limitstart=0

Isn't this your great-grandfather? On WW2 draft registration card it is said he was born in Copenhagen whereas the police register says Nykøbing-Sjælland. I looked at the birth record of Nykøbing-S image 29. Karl Rudolf Sørensen was born on 26 Nov. 1891. Likely it is the same person.

Eva M

Homer, it's a great-grandfather. It means he is a father. Probably he was supporting his child who most certainly lived with his paternal grandparents in Copenhagen since mother was dead. Mother was from the Faraoe Islands.
Eva M

Verner Bentsen

Karl's arrival to the US:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 
about Karl Rüdolf Saumen
Name: Karl Rüdolf Saumen [Karl Rudolf Sorensen] 
Arrival Date: 1 Nov 1916
Birth Year: abt 1892
Birth Location: Denmark
Birth Location Other: nykob sj
Ethnicity/Race-/Nationality: Scandinavian
Port of Departure: Copenhagen
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Oscar II

mvh Verner

Paul Londahl-Smidt

In the manifest for the Oscar II arriving in New York on 1 Nov 1916, Karl Rudolf Sorensen's place of birth is listed as Nykøbing, Sj., so you must have found the correct person Eva.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Eva Morfiadakis

I found him and his family in FT 1911 Sankelmarksgade 19, opslag 44. The family consisting of a large number of children moved from Køge to Copenhagen in 1895. Father is Christen and mother is Karoline.
I assume that Karl R. was married some time between 1911-1913 and that there was a child born before 1914.

Eva M
Eva M

Homer Ficken

There is a Mathilda Kopf age 38 in the 1930  Manhattan census (attached).  She is a widow living with her mother Margaret Costello (listed on the prior page), and has a daughter age 12.  Mathilda was born in New York but her parents were from Ireland.  This matches age of the Mathilda Sorensen whose death Paul found.

Homer Ficken

Michael do you know if Karl ever worked as a crewman on a ship?   I can't find him in the 1920 or 1930 New York censuses, but there is a Carl R. Sorensen of right age listed 1922 and 1928 on ships operating between New York and Cuba.

Paul Londahl-Smidt

In the 1916 manifest, it says that Karl Rudolf Sørensen's closest relative is his father, C. Sørensen, Vesterbrogade 69, København.  In the 1916 census the family is at that address, opslag 367.

Best regards,
Paul

Paul Londahl-Smidt

In the censuses for Vesterbrogade 69C here is the family
1916, opslag 367
1921, opslag 159
1925, opslag 844

Brynhild Marna Sørensen was born on 27 Oct 1912 to unmarried Maren Sophie J?sen and Karl Rudolf Sørensen, Skt Matthæus 1911- 1917, opslag 74.  I don't speak Danish so perhaps one of our Danish friends will look at this record and translate it for you.l'

Best regards,
Paul

Paul Londahl-Smidt

I still can't read Maren Sophie's efternavn, but she and Karl Rudolf Sørensen's wedding on 11 Apr 1913 can be found in Skt Matthæus, opslag 74 nr 92.

Best regards,
Paul

Eva Morfiadakis

I read her last name as Joensen.

Your find her death in
Skt Matthæus
1914-1927
opslag 148.

She died at Øresundshospitalet and was buried in Vestre Kirkegaard, opslag 196 (1908-1926).

To get more information on your great-grandfather you can either order the death certificate or try the Family History Center. You will then get the name of the informant which is probably his wife, then you will have to order her death certificate to find the informant of her death which is probably her daughter Ethel (if it is the right Matilda Kopf found). Hopefully she was married at the time of her mother's death so you will get her married name. She was presumably born in 1917-1818. I've tried to find her in the SSDI using the name Kopf and Sorensen. There is quite a number of hits. Or you have to wait for the 1940 census, that is until April 2012.

Eva
Eva M