Help with a Death Record

Startet af Ric Rasmussen, 03 Dec 2012 - 06:11

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Ric Rasmussen

I believe this is the death record of Anders Jorgensen.  It is in Fanefjord 1801-1814 Opslag 148.  Can someone help me read and translate it?  I'm trying to figure out if it is my Anders Jorgensen.  Is there any info in there that can help me?

Thanks,

Ric

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø

Jesper Skov

I read

Samme Dag begr: Almisselem Anders Jørgensen Skov af Damme ?
gl. 69 Aar døde d. 13 Ejusd.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Henning Møller Madsen

Hi Ric.
Do you understand danish ?

the same day (18 nov) buried, pauper Anders Joergensen Skov of Damme,
old 69 year, Death 13 Ejusd= same month (13 November)

Regards
Henning

Ric Rasmussen

Thank you both.  My Danish is very limited so the translation helps.   Can someone help me with the Skov part of his name?  This is the first time I see this show up.  I haven't seen it on any of his other records.  I thought I read once that sometimes other "names" were added.  I have another relative that the word "Klant" was added to.  Can someone help me understand this?

Thank you,

Ric
Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø

Jesper Skov

Skov means "Woods".
Klant I have never heard of ... where did you find it?

I believe that this is him in the 1787 census

praestoe, Mønbo, Fanefjord, Dame, 47, 83, FT-1787, B2415
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Anders Schoff 44  Gift Mand Inderste  
Maria 50  Gift Kone Inderste  
Mette 10   disses Datter  
Kirsten 8   Datter  
Hans 5   Søn

with an alternative spelling of Skov (Schoff).

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Henning Møller Madsen

The title: Inderste
means to live for rent, often on a farm,
k r
Henning

Ric Rasmussen

Thank you all.  That is very interesting information.

My ancestor is Peder Anderson.  I have his christening record from the Fanefjord Parish.  (22 Feb 1789)  He was born to Anders Jorgensen and Anne Maria Larsdatter.  I find them in the 1801 census living alone and Peder is 12 working for another family.  Anders is labeled as a pauper.  This is the same label attached to Anders Jorgensen Skov's death record above so it seems they may be the same person but Anders from the death record would have been born in 1743 and Anders from the census would have been born in 1745.

I can't find Anders Jorgensen and his wife in the 1787 census.  The Anders Schoff that shows up is married to a Maria so it could be the same couple.  The birth year would be 1743 so that would seem to be the same individual whose death record is above.  But again the ages are a little different than for Anders Jorgensen in the 1801 census.  Similarly, I can't find Anders Schoff or Skov in the 1801 census further suggesting they may be the same individual with some errors on ages.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this dilemma?

Thank you,

Ric
Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø

Ralph Rasmussen

Occupational titles and the like are still important in Denmark because of the many similar names.  But like nicknames they can often be applied arbitrarily, and differently by different people in the community.

Anders 'Skov' would be distinguished from other Anderses and perhaps from another Anders Jørgensen by everyone in the village and perhaps the parish.  But the parish pastor and whoever filled out the census could easily be inconsistent in how they identified him on the record.  It was sufficient to use a name that 'everyone knew'.

Those who recorded the census simply asked people how old they were, or went on what they thought they knew about their ages.  They rarely had both the time and the opportunity to check the parish register.

Until into the nineteenth century it wasn't such a shame to be old and poor enough to receive a modicum of public assistance if you had been a laborer.  A man who is a renter without further occupational title is 'self employed', a laborer.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Ric Rasmussen

Thank you.  I really appreciate the explanations.  It gives so much more color to the stories.
Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø

Ric Rasmussen

I think I have found the birth record of another child of this couple.  Can someone help me with the Danish and English translation?

Thank you.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø

Ric Rasmussen

If it easier to look at the record on the viewer, it is in Fanefjord 1754-1776, Opslag 178, left side.

Thank you.
Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø

Ralph Rasmussen

Left side:

(#)15 Pige, (moderen) Introduceret Dominica Cantate

Festo Coena Domini døbt Anders
Jørgensen og Anna Maria Lars Datters
Pige Barn af Dame, kaldet Mette
baaren af Hans Ols(en) Bonmands
Hustru Margrethe ibidem Testes
Hans Jørgensen ibid: Unge Hemming
Hans(ens) Dreng Jochum ibid, Jørgen
Lars(en) tiennende tiennende [sic] Christen
Niels: i Tost..., Jens Rasmus(sens)
Hustru Sidsel i Dame, Anders
Lars Daater Karen i Brede...

Good Friday baptized A. J. and A. M. L. daughter of Dame, Mette, presented by 'bondemand' H. O.'s wife M. of (Dame).  witnesses H. J., young H. H.'s servant Jochum of Dame, Christen Nielsen's servant J. L. of Tost..., J. R.'s wife S. in Dame, A. L.'s daughter Karen in Brede....

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Ric Rasmussen

Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø