Knudsen and Rasmussen from Nakskov and Copenhagen

Startet af Jim Knudsen, 24 Nov 2012 - 21:28

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Jim Knudsen

This Thora Sophia is pretty much no doubt in our family line now. I just wish I could push the Ole Knudsen name further back with accuracy now too.
Im still amazed at home much information on anecestry is available to you folks in Denmark. Thank you so much.
My Knudsen family goes back to Nakskov and Copenhagen in the 1800's. We are a family of 7 siblings all over the U.S.A. hope to connect with other family around the world.

John Wrenholt

We know that Ole Knudsen was born in Asminderød sogn in about 1820-1821 from the censuses that we have.  A search of the churchbook  finds an Ole Knudsen born June 8, 1820 to Knud Larsen and Johanne Mar?? Handatter (1812-1826 Asminderød ops 75).  More evidence is needed to make sure that this is the right Ole.  Here is the family in the 1834 census.

Frederiksborg, Lynge-Kronborg, Asminderød, Asminderød, , et hus, 27, FT-1834

Knud Larsen   47   Gift      arbejdsmand   
Johanne Hansdatter   37   Gift      hans kone   
Stine ??   16   Ugift      deres børn   
Ole ??   14   Ugift      deres børn   
Hans ??   10   Ugift      deres børn   
Henrich ??   8   Ugift      deres børn   

This could be Ole in 1840 as a shoemaker's apprentice.

København, København (Staden), Rosenborg Kvarter, Gothersgade No 140, , 2den Sal, 951, FT-1840
Peter Beckmann   40   Gift      Skomagersvend   
Catrine Jensen   37   Gift      Hans Kone   
Carl Christian Beermann   3   Ugift      Søn af beermann og Kone   
Christian Svendsen   27   Ugift      Skomagersvend   
Ole Knudsen   19   Ugift      Skomagersvend   

Lissa Pedersen

Here is a better 1834 census from this site: http://landsbyskriveren.dk/anerne/indhold/fkt1834a.html

27 Hus 1 Knud Larsen 47 Gift Arbejdsmand (day laborer)
2 Johanne Hansdatter 37 Gift hans kone
3 Stine Knudsdatter 16 Ugift deres barn
4 Ole Knudsen 14 Ugift deres barn
5 Hans Knudsen 10 Ugift deres barn
6 Henrick Knudsen 8 Ugift deres barn

This could be Knud Larsen in 1801 with parents etc. - from the website above:

Asminderød 52. familie Lars Olsen husfader 55 G1 husmand og skomager (shoemaker)
Asminderød 52. familie Sidse Knudsdatter hans kone 55 G2  
Asminderød 52. familie Ole Larsen deres barn 20 UG  
Asminderød 52. familie Inger Larsdatter deres barn 17 UG  
Asminderød 52. familie Knud Larsen deres barn 14 UG  

The family in 1787:

35 1 Lars Olsen mand 42 G1 skomager
35 2 Sidse Knudsdatter kone 42 G2  
35 3 Rasmus Rasmussen søn af 1. 12 UG  
35 4 Ole Larsen deres barn af 2. 6 UG  
35 5 Inger Larsdatter deres barn af 2. 4 UG  
35 6 Knud Larsen deres barn af 2. (child of 2nd marriage) 1 UG

UG = ugift = unmarried
G1 = 1st marriage - G2 = 2nd marriage

Lissa

John Wrenholt

Using the FamilySearch.org database, I found that Ole Knudsen had 7 children.  There may be more but I didn't find them.

They were all christened in Trinitatis in Copenhagen.

Nielsine Johanne              1846       1845-1849 ops 248 #180
Henriette Jensine             1848       1845-1849 ops 325 #209
Olivia                              1850       1850-1853 ops 221 #242
Hans Julius                      1852       1850-1853 ops 106 #126
Louise Dorothea              1854       1854-1857  ops 240 #198
Josephine                        1856       1854-1857 ops 358 #415
Julius                               1859      1858-1861 ops 77 #321

John Wrenholt

The 1845 marriage of Ole Knudsen & Mette Magrethe Nielsdatter is recorded in 1826-1847 Garnisons ops 346 #164.

Bjarne Due Pedersen

I have some track & trace work to do, about Ane Marie Jensdatter, maybe she is the one who is daughter of My Jens Rasmussen Due (son of Rasmus Matthiasen Due).

IF - The Jens Rasmussen she married had the name Tambour in a birth of a child.
He died in Horslunde 2. aug. 1867, 62 years old
The only one in the census in that age, and the only one dead 1860-1868, when Ane died as a widow.

I will be back, but maybe it will take a few days  ;D
Med venlig hilsen
Bjarne Due Pedersen
Med Lolland som midtpunkt for slægten
Bosat 3310, http://bjarne-due.dk

Lissa Pedersen

Thank you, Bjarne - we appreciate what you are doing ;)

Lissa

Jim Knudsen

This is all so amazing you can find that information, thank you one and all, again. :)
My Knudsen family goes back to Nakskov and Copenhagen in the 1800's. We are a family of 7 siblings all over the U.S.A. hope to connect with other family around the world.

Jim Knudsen

John's post number 34 showing 7 children is very new to me. My papers show only my G,G Grandfather Julius along with his 2 sisters Josephine and Olivia. Very odd that who ever did research years ago, only had 3 and not 7 children in that family. I would have thought those number of children would be very consistent passing down generation to generation. How does someone miss 4 kids?
  Very interesting info. John, thank you :)

Lissa Pedersen

I found the 1860 census on Arkivalieronline, opslag 275 (1860, København, Købmager kvarter, del I, Matr.Nr. 1-179), where the following children are (the family was in 1859 at the birth of Julius living at Gammel Mønt 20, matr.nr. 151):

Johanne - 14 yrs
Olivia - 10 yrs
Louise Dorthea - 6 yrs
Josephine - 4 yrs
Julius - 1 yr

and try to compare them with the ones found on Familysearch. Some of the children must have died?

Nielsine Johanne              1846       1845-1849 ops 248 #180
Henriette Jensine             1848       1845-1849 ops 325 #209
Olivia                              1850       1850-1853 ops 221 #242
Hans Julius                      1852       1850-1853 ops 106 #126
Louise Dorothea              1854       1854-1857  ops 240 #198
Josephine                        1856       1854-1857 ops 358 #415
Julius                               1859      1858-1861 ops 77 #321

In the 1855 census, opslag 36, 1855, København, Købmager Kvarter, Gammel Mønt, Gammel Mønt 151 = No. 20, are the following children:

Johanne Nielsine - 9 yrs
Olivia - 4 yrs
Louise Dorthea - 1 yr

Lissa

John Wrenholt

Josephine Knudsen married a shoemaker named Frans Thorvald Bjørn.  They had at least 2 children: Cay Olaf Bjørn (born Dec 27, 1885) and Bet#y Josephine Aug Bjørn (born Oct 27, 1890).

The birth record for Cay Olaf is in 1880-1885 Vor Frue ops 140. 

Using Google search turned up this item:
SKOVGAARD Niels professor; f. 29/4 1924 i Kbh; søn af professor Kristen Skovgaard (død 1968, se Blå Bog 1968) og hustru Marie f. Lauridsen (død 1968); gift 21/11 1959 m. sygeplejerske Lise S., f. 23/4 1928 i Ålborg, datter af salgsinspektør Cay Olaf Bjørn (død 1955) og hustru Valborg f. Henningsen (død 1950).

Police register for Frans Thorvald:
http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sfup&controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=1525633&searchname=polit_simple

Police register for Kaj Olaf Bjørn:
http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sfup&controller=politsearch&task=displayresults&searchname=polit_simple&searchidentifier=1385385

To view the 1906 census image for the family, go to:
http://www.sa.dk/ao/SoegeSider/Folketaelling.aspx

Then select 1906 - København - Gartnergade.  They are on opslag 17.

Bjarne Due Pedersen

Now I am sure about Ane Marie Jensdatter (Due)  ;D

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Med venlig hilsen
Bjarne Due Pedersen

Lissa Pedersen

Great Bjarne :) ;) :D I'm glad that I asked you to take a look!

Lissa

Lissa Pedersen

Jens Rasmussen Tambour was charged in a case (taking part in counterfeiting and receiving stolen goods), but he was not sentenced: http://alda.dk/kildeafskrifter/karl-hansen-dom-1861

Too much to translate it all.

Lissa

Jim Knudsen

WOW that means we are related then Bjarne :D I wonder what that is called? 8th cousins 2 times removed or something like that :D

Bjarne Due Pedersen

Thora Sophie Jensdatter is the 2 x cousin 3 times removed of Bjarne Due Pedersen  ;D

Med venlig hilsen
Bjarne Due Pedersen

Lissa Pedersen

The 1870 census, opslag 79 - Gammel Mønt 20, matr.nr. 151:

children:

Olivia - 19 yrs
Josephine - 13 yrs
Julius - 10 yrs

Lissa

John Wrenholt

I have found a birth record for Mette Margrethe Nielsdatter who was born Aug, 1821 in Maarsøe, Hagested, Tuse, Holbæk.  (1812-1832 Hagested ops 71).  I read the names of the parents as Niels Hansen and Johanne Hansdatter.  I have not been able to confirm with any census listings.

Bjarne Due Pedersen

Just updated  :)

Med venlig hilsen
Bjarne Due Pedersen

Jim Knudsen

Outstanding cousin :)   now here are more photos of 'our' family if you want to insert them where they belong for charting in the future. I will post the photo then the back of it with comments written by someone many years ago. :) This is so cool to find out. I will post 4 photos each time.

Jim Knudsen

Next group of photos I had from Denmark. Notice 6 & 6a  say " Cay Bjorns father"  so now I know where the name Bjorn comes from :)

Jim Knudsen

Bjarne...here is info. to complete your chart under 'Louis Knudsen', he married Bessie St John (of English decent) in Superior, Wisconsin, they had 3 sons, Julius St John Knudsen, Wilbur Leigh Knudsen (my father) and Richard E. Knudsen.

1. Julius Knudsen b. 1916, died in WWII in the Death March of Bataan in the Phillipines

2. Wilbur Knudsen b. 1919, married Jeanne Marie Regan in Chicago, Illinois in 1947, they had 7 children:
   1. Karen Eliz. Knudsen
   2. James Leigh Knudsen (me) 
      Married in 1979 to Susan E. Hobson, 2 children Kelli Jeanne and Nicole Elizabeth
   3. Karl Edward Knudsen
   4. Joanne Marie Knudsen
   5. Kristine Marie Knudsen
   6. Jayne Ellen Knudsen
   7. Julie Kathleen Knudsen

3. Richard Knudsen married Helen? who died in accident, they had 2 daughters Debbie, Nan
      remarried to Shirley ?, they had 2 sons Scott and Guy

With these in your chart, it should then show our relationship as cousins :)

Jim Knudsen

I also found another photo of Julius A Knudsen and his wife Thora and their 2 children Louis Knudsen and Dagmar Knudsen.  Probably taken in Superior, Wisconsin  Louis appears to be apox. 8 years old.

Jim Knudsen

I found a photo from a 1903 photo of a school dance...its wording on the back is BHS 1903 

This is Louis Knudsen

the next photo is Bessie St John who he later would marry, at the same dance in 1903.

Bjarne Due Pedersen

Denmark0001 Grandfather Shanie, who is he ?
Denmark0003 Signe, Who is it (Her and Husband and 2 kids) and what stands on the back ?
Denmark0005 Is it Aunt Olivia Hertz ?
Denmark0006 Cay Bjorns father, who is Cay ?
Denmark0007 Aunt Hannah and 2 grandchildren, Who is Hannah and the 2 kids ?
Denmark0009 Aunt Hannah (Knudsen) again ?

And a new family picture to my far out cousin  ;)

Med venlig hilsen
Bjarne Due Pedersen

Jim Knudsen

Those other photos with Hannah and Cay and grandfather etc. must be on the Knudsen side. I will have to dig out more boxes to find more information to help figure those out.
Our 2 daughters will be here starting today for the weekend and a baby shower for one who will give us a new grandchild next February. Dont know if it will be a boy or girl yet. We have 1 grand daughter already, would love a grand son now. :)

Jim Knudsen

Here are photos of my dad Wilbur Knudsen and myself Jim Knudsen

I guess I look pretty Danish dont I ?  fair skin, sunburn easy, blonde hair, blue eyes :)

John Wrenholt

Thank you for posting the wonderful family pictures. 

I have been assuming that Hannah in the pictures is the same person that we know as Julius's sister Nielsine Johanne Knudsen.

I believe that in the 1885 census that Lissa posted earlier, she is listed as being the widow Johanne Sørensen.

kbhv, København (Staden), Gammel Mønt (Ulige numre), Kjøbmagergade Kvarter, , Gammel Mønt 21,Matr.159 2.Sal, 3, FT-1885
Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation in household: Occupation: Birth place:
Ole Knudsen 65  Gift Huusfader Skomagermester Fredensborg
Magrethe Knudsen 64  Gift Huusmoder  Holbæk
Johanne Sørensen 39  Enke Huusmoder Haandarbeide Kjøbenhavn
Olivia Sørensen 14  Ugift   Horsens
Christine Sørensen 11  Ugift   Frederiksberg

She is listed in the Police Register here:

http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sfup&controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=1918771&searchname=polit_simple

Jim Knudsen

I inquired to Superior Wisconsin historical society about any school that starts with the letter " B " and I got an email back in 30 minutes, YES it was "Blaine High School" in Superior Wisconsin where those dance photos were taken in 1903.  In 1909 they built a new school and Blaine was demolished.
Amazing how fast information comes these days. :)

Bjarne Due Pedersen

Cay was son of Julius´ sister, who married Mr. Bjorn.
Olivia Hertz, I´vee got her now  :)
Aunt Hannah must be Nielsine Johanne 1846 1845-1849 ops 248 #180, as John wrote  ;)

But gradfather Shanie  ??? Who wrote it on the back - it must be this persons grandfather ?
If it was your father, it could be Bessie´s father ?

And thank you for all the pictures, they are great on my homepage  ;D
Med venlig hilsen
Bjarne Due Pedersen