Knudsen and Rasmussen from Nakskov and Copenhagen

Startet af Jim Knudsen, 24 Nov 2012 - 21:28

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Jim Knudsen

I just joined this site while I am researching family history. I have records going back to 1800's and earlier that I will dig out of storage to post here accurately. I know my great grandfather was Julius A. Knudsen. I have photos taken of him in Danish Navy suit with photographer name on the back I will post here. I will start out slowly and maybe meet some distant cousins along the way. Julius A. Knudsen ended up in Superior, Wisconsin where he received a letter from Nestved Denmark dated in 1934 but we cannot read it.
I will stop here with just these 4 photos and hope to make connections over time.

Thank you for any help you can give me here.
My direct email is Jim@SellBrainerd.com
My Knudsen family goes back to Nakskov and Copenhagen in the 1800's. We are a family of 7 siblings all over the U.S.A. hope to connect with other family around the world.

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Jim,

I'll give it a try - however, some of the words in the scan are missing (didn't see that I could scroll!)

Dear Uncle Julius!

On 27 October we lost our
dear old mother. She was
only sick for 8 days but had
for a long time been weak and
tired and she wanted to die.
By this letter I bring you her last
greetings. - But it is so
difficult for me to be left
alone, when mother and I
have been living together since father died in
1928. Merry Christmas and cordial greetings
 Your niece Rigmor Hertz

(upper left: Greetings to your family)

Lissa

Jim Knudsen

Thank you Lissa... my scan was too big and it made the photo to wide but there is a scroll at the bottom of my post that you can slide the words to the left to reveal them all. Now we will have a lady by the name of Rigmor to look for in our searching.
Thank you so much again.
I will post more information later when I find it in our boxes. We recently sold our home and downsized into a smaller home, with many unpacked boxes yet. Our 2 daughters have married and moved away, but now giving us grandchildren which we love.
   :)
My Knudsen family goes back to Nakskov and Copenhagen in the 1800's. We are a family of 7 siblings all over the U.S.A. hope to connect with other family around the world.

Lissa Pedersen

When and where was Julius born?

Could this person be "your" Rigmor? http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sfup&controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=1367023&searchname=polit_simple

It's the pre-national register. Says she was a teacher and born in Næstved 1884

Lissa

John Wrenholt

The death of Olivia Hertz (born Knudsen) is recorded in the 1930-1937 Næstved SKt Morten churchbook (ops 271).  I believe it says that she was born in Copenhagen in 1850, the daughter of a shoemaker named Ole Knudsen and his wife Margrethe Nielsen.  

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

Hi Jim,

I believe this is your Julius Knudsen leaving Denmark.
Name:    Knudsen, Julius   Occupation:    Smed
Contract no.:    476400   Registration date:    5/22/1882
Last res. parish:    København   Last res. county:    København
Last residence:    Kbhvn.   Destination country:    USA
Destination city:    Evansville   Destination state:    Wisconsin
Name of ship:    Indirekte
IDcode:    I8182K0913

and in the 1880 København census with his parents and sisters

All persons in the household

København, København (Staden), Gammel Mønt, Gammel Mønt Nr 20, Hovedvagtes Rode mtr 151, , 232, FT-1880
Name:    Age:    Marital status:      Occupation in household:      Occupation:      Birth place:
Ole Knudsen   59 år    Gift   Husfader   Skomager   Fredensborg
Margrethe Knudsen   58 år    Gift   Hustru      Holbek
Olivia Knudsen   29 år    Ugift   Datter      Kjøbenhavn
Josephine Knudsen   22 år    Ugift   Datter      Kjøbenhavn
Julius Knudsen   20 år    Ugift   Søn   Smedesvend   Kjøbenhav

Sincerely,
Paul
North Carolina
Fåborg    Barløse

Lissa Pedersen

The opslag No. is 271 and she was born 10 June 1850 in Copenhagen .. etc. etc. She was a widow.

The parents are here in 1850, but I suppose you have the censuses?:

kbhv, København (Staden), Rosenborg Kvarter, Rosenborg, , Aabenraa 235, 2den sal, 934, FT-1850
Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation in household: Occupation: Birth place:
Ole Knudsen 29  Gift  huusfader, skomagersv. Asminderøe
Magrete Nielsen 28  Ugift  hans kone Morsöe
Nielsine Knudsen 4  Ugift  deres barn Kjøbenhavn

In 1885:

kbhv, København (Staden), Gammel Mønt (Ulige numre), Kjøbmagergade Kvarter, , Gammel Mønt 21,Matr.159 2.Sal, 3, FT-1885
Ole Knudsen 65  Gift Huusfader Skomagermester Fredensborg
Magrethe Knudsen 64  Gift Huusmoder  Holbæk
Johanne Sørensen 39  Enke Huusmoder Haandarbeide Kjøbenhavn
Olivia Sørensen 14  Ugift   Horsens
Christine Sørensen 11  Ugift   Frederiksberg

Lissa

Homer Ficken

The 1900 Superior, Wisconsin census lists Julius Knudson born August 1859, immigration 1882.  He is listed as a blacksmith in some Superior directories and censuses.
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

Here is Mette Margrethe Knudsen in the police register http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sfup&controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=3351770&searchname=polit_simple

Her death on 19 Nov 1910 is found in Vor Frue, Sokkelund, København opslag 236 nr 45.

Sincerely,
Paul
Fåborg    Barløse

Lissa Pedersen

Julius Knudsen's birth is on opslag 77 in Trinitatis parish - born 14 Aug 1859 - to Ole Knudsen and Margrethe Nielsen. They lived at 151 Gl. Mønt (Gammel Mønt).

Lissa

Lissa Pedersen

Rigmor Margrethe Hertz was born 22 January 1884 to Ludvig Theodor Hertz and Olivia Knudsen in Næstved. Opslag 135 Næstved Skt. Peder (1868-1888). She was, however, baptised in Skt. Mortens Church, Næstved, on 1 June 1884.

One of the witnesses was a shoemaker Hans Hertz, Aalborg and other witnesses were: Shoemaker Bjørn and his wife born Knudsen, Copenhagen

Ludvig Theodor's death can be found on opslag 283 in Næstved Skt. Peder parish (1926-1934). He died on 18 March 1928 (Aaderup, Skt. Mortens parish). He was born - 8 November 1849 - in Aalborg to shoemaker master Niels Christian Hertz and Johanne Kirstine born Schultz, Aalborg. Married to Olivia born Knudsen.

The family is here in 1845 (no children yet):

aalborg, Fleskum, Aalborg Købstad, Skomager Gade (Shoemaker Street!), , No. 298 Litra b, 14, FT-1845
Niels Chrst. Hertz 35  Gift  Skomagermester Aalborg
Johanne P. Schultz 26  Gift  hans Hustru Aalborg
Johan Butler 21  Ugift  Skomagersvend Aalborg
Peter L. Nessen 26  Ugift  Skomagersvend Aalborg
Poul C. Poulsen 14  Ugift  Læredreng Aalborg
Jens Sand Terup 19  Ugift  Læredreng Aalborg

And in 1850:

aalborg, Fleskum, Aalborg Købstad, Store Nygade, 6 Rode, , F1, 484 (446), FT-1850
Niels Chrestian Hertz 42  Gift  skomagermester husfader Aalborg Aalborg Amt
Johanne Cherstine født Schultz 31  Gift  hans kone Viborg Viborg Amt
Elisa Chrestine 5  Ugift  hans datter Aalborg Aalborg Amt
Lovise Johanne 4  Ugift  hans datter Aalborg Aalborg Amt
Ulrika 2  Ugift  hans datter Aalborg Aalborg Amt
en udøbt (not yet bapt.) søn 1  Ugift   hans søn Aalborg Aalborg Amt
Ane Tranemos?? 26  Ugift  tjenestepige Aalborg Aalborg Amt
Nicolai Andreas Holm 37  Ugift  skomagersvend Norge
Leonard Schøeborg 40  Ugift  skomagersvend Sverige
Jens Peter Jensen 19  Ugift  skomagersvend Guldager Hjørring Amt
Niels Peter Jørgensen 16  Ugift  læredreng Aalborg Aalborg Amt
Wilhelm Petersen 15  Ugift  læredreng Aalborg Aalborg Amt

and in 1855:

aalborg, Fleskum, Aalborg Købstad, Store Nygade, 6te Rode, , stuen F1, 446, FT-1855
Niels Chrestian Hertz 47  Gift skomagermester husfader  Aalborg Aalborg Amt
Johanne Kjerstine født Schløt?? 38  Gift ovenstaaendes kone  Viborg Viborg Amt
Elise Kjerstine Hertz 10  Ugift deres datter  Aalborg Aalborg Amt
Lovise Johanne Hertz 8  Ugift deres datter  Aalborg Aalborg Amt
Tolrikke?? Hertz 7  Ugift deres datter  Aalborg Aalborg Amt
Ludvig Theodor Hertz 6  Ugift ovenstaaendes søn  (son of the above) Aalborg Aalborg Amt
Hans Peter Julius Hertz 4  Ugift ovenstaaendes søn  Aalborg Aalborg Amt
Neels Chrestian Hertz 2  Ugift ovenstaaendes søn  Aalborg Aalborg Amt
Marie Lorentzen 23  Ugift tjenestepige  Thisted Thisted Amt
Leonart Sjøeberg 50  Ugift slkomagersvend  Upsala i Sverige

Niels Christian Hertz is here in 1840, unmarried:

aalborg, Fleskum, Aalborg Købstad, Algade, , No 8,, 8, FT-1840
Niels Chr. Hertz 32  Ugift  Skomager  
Peter Chr. Lassen 22  Ugift  hans Svend

And here in 1834:

aalborg, Fleskum, Aalborg Købstad, Nygade, , No. 441, 1 Familie, 887, FT-1834
Jens Høgmark 47  Gift  Skomagermester  
Catrine Rasmusen 43  Gift  Hustrue  
Niels Hertz 25  Ugift  Svend  
Bertel Jeig 20  Ugift  Læredrenge  
Chresten Hermansen 20  Ugift  Læredrenge  
Peter Christjan 16  Ugift  Deres børn  
Jensine 11  Ugift  Deres børn  
Marie 8  Ugift  Deres børn  
Lauritz 4  Ugift  Deres børn

Lissa

Jim Knudsen

Thank you all for the new info. I had never heard yet. I found some of my records last night from an old history done by another shirt tail relative by the name of John Lundberg. While he was doing his family history, he connected with some Rasmussen names and then got into our Knudsen name from that.
I found my great grandfather Julius Knudsen born Aug. 14, 1859 in Copehhagen, died Oct. 30 1939 in Superior, Wisconsin. His father was Olaf Knudsen who was born and died in Copenhagen. He made riding boots. Julius' mother was Magrete who also was born and died in Copenhagen. Both buried in Denmark. Julius arrived in the U.S.A. May 22nd 1895 and Naturalized Oct. 20, 1902 listed him as a carpenter. My papers show he got his citizen papers then moved to Brooklyn, Wisconsin then back to Copenhagen for 1 1/2 years, then returned to Clinton, Iowa and then Superior, Wisconsin where he settled down. Julius had 3 sisters but none of them came to the U.S.A.  They were Hannah, Josephine, and Olivia.
I find that Julius Knudsen married Thora Jensen in Evansville, Wisconsin (date unknown).
Thora Sophia Jensen was born Oct 10, 1856 in Nakskov, Laaland Denmark. They had 3 children. Louis Knudsen b. 1884 in Brooklyn, Wisconsin, (my grandfather) Dagmar Knudsen b. 1886 in Brooklyn, Wisconsin, never married. Agnes Knudsen b. 1888 in Brookly, Wisconsin but died after 3 months.
Thora was the 9th child of Jens Rasmussen b.? d.? and Ann Due' both of them were from Nakskov, Laaland. (Another source says the mother was Kirstine Jensdatter?)
  After Ann died in 1868 the 9 children were then orphaned so their last name was then changed to JENSEN. But John kept the Rasmussen name.
Children in order were:
1. John Rasmussen (Jensen) d. Evansville Wisconsin,
2. Rasmus Jensen d. Copenhagen,
3. Peter Jensen  had 3 children and d. in Clinton, Iowa.
4. Dorothea Jensen m. 1867 John Wolff (lost at sea later), she remarried Hans Anderson and had     children with him. she d. 1902 Brooklyn, Wisconsin.
5. Ida Emelia Caroline Jensen d. Superior, Wisconsin 1933
6. Unknown ??
7. Ferdinand Jensen b. Nakskov, changed name to Glidden (too many Jensens, never got mail) played in Orchestra at Nykobing
8. Nels Jensen d. Clinton, Iowa
9. Thora Sophia Jensen b. Oct 10, 1856 in Noebbet, Horslunde parish Nakskov Denmark. m. Julius A. Knudsen Evansville, Wisconsin.

From another source, a church record on Thora:
10 Octob. 1856 Thora Sophie Jensen (born). (Baptised) Døbt i kirken 26 Dec 1856 (Parents) Huusmand Jens Rasmussen, hustru Kirstine Jensdat. 42 Aar, i Nøbbet.

Now I need to clear up the 2 different mother's names for Thora: Kirstine Jensdat or Ann Due' ?

Now I will copy down the information on Ole Knudsen and Magrete and try to start a chart for them. 
Again, thank you all so very much.

John Wrenholt

Maribo, Lollands Nørre, Horslunde, Nøbbet By, , et Huus, 17, FT-1850

Jens Rasmussen   41   Gift      Inderste og Brolægger, Huusfader   Nakskov Landsogn, Maribo Amt
Ane Marie Jensdatter   36   Gift      Hans KOne   Stokkemarke, Maribo Amt
Johannes Rasmus Jensen   11   Ugift      Deres barn   Halsted, Maribo Amt
Ane Dorthea Jensen   10   Ugift      Deres barn   Lille Løietofte, Maribo Amt
Rasmus Jensen   6   Ugift      Deres barn   Fejøe, Maribo Amt
Signe Marie Jensen   3   Ugift      Deres barn   Horslunde, Maribo Amt
Peder Christian Jensen   1   Ugift      Deres barn   Horslunde, Maribo Amt

Maribo, Lollands Nørre, Horslunde, Nøbbet Skoledistrikt, Nøbbet By, , Et Hus, 232 - F2, FT-1860

Jens Rasmussen   52   Gift   Husfader. Brolægger      Nakskov
Ane Marie Jensen   45   Gift   Hans Kone      Stokkemarke Sogn, Maribo Amt
Signe Marie Jensen   13   Ugift   Deres Barn. underholdes af Fattigvæsenet      Horslunde Sogn, Maribo Amt
Peder Christian Jensen   11   Ugift   Deres Barn. underholdes af Fattigvæsenet      Horslunde Sogn, Maribo Amt
Ida Caroline Amalie Jensen   8   Ugift   Deres Barn. underholdes af Fattigvæsenet      Horslunde Sogn, Maribo Amt
Niels Julius Jensen   6   Ugift   Deres Barn. underholdes af Fattigvæsenet      Horslunde Sogn, Maribo Amt
Thora Sophie Jensen   4   Ugift   Deres Barn. underholdes af Fattigvæsenet      Horslunde Sogn, Maribo Amt
Jens August Ferdinand Rasmus Jensen   1   Ugift   Deres Barn. underholdes af Fattigvæsenet

Lissa Pedersen

Just wanted to add the 1845 census:

maribo, Fuglse, Fejø, Vesterbye, et Huus, 72, FT-1845, A4065
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Jens Rasmussen 36  gift  Brolægger Nakskov
Ane Marie Jensen 29  gift  Hans Kone Stokkemarke Maribo Amt
Johan Rasmussen 6  ugift  Deres Børn Halsted Sogn Maribo Amt
Ane Dorthe Jensen 5  ugift  Deres Børn Løitofte Sogn Maribo Amt
Rasmus Jensen 1  ugift  Deres Børn her i Sognet

And the 1840:

maribo, Lollands Nørre, Løjtofte, Lille Løjtofte, et Huus, 5 F2, FT-1840, B2471
Jens Rasmussen 31  Gift  Inderste og Broelægger 
Ane Marie Jensdatter 31  Gift  hans Kone [Jens Rasmussen] 
Johan Jensen 1  Ugift  deres Barn [Jens Rasmussen, Ane Marie Jensdatter]

Lissa

Lissa Pedersen

These are the siblings according to the censuses available:

Johan Rasmussen born Halsted parish
Ane Dorthe Jensen born Løjtofte parish
Rasmus Jensen born Fejø parish
Signe Marie Jensen born Horslunde parish
Peder Christian Jensen born Horslunde parish
Ida Caroline Amalie Jensen born Horslunde parish
Niels Julius Jensen born Horslunde parish
Thora Sophie Jensen born Horslunde parish
Jens August Ferdinand Rasmus Jensen born Horslunde parish (?)

Lissa  

John Wrenholt

Jens Rasmussen and Ane Marie Jensdatter were married in 1839 (1817-1844 Løjtofte, Lolland Nørren, Maribo ops 80 #94).

John Wrenholt

I have a birth record for Ane Marie Jensdatter (1813-1822 Stokkemarke ops 66).  Born Oct 16, 1815 to Jens Rasmussen Due..  If this is the right person, perhaps this is Ane Marie's family in the 1834 census.

Maribo, Lollands Sønder, Stokkemarke, Stokkemarke Bye, Huus, , , 95, FT-1834
Jens Rasmussen Due   49   Gift      Huusmand   
Sofie Christiansdatter   48   Gift      hans Kone   
Anne Magrethe Hansdatter   14   Ugift      deres Barn   
Christian Jensen   13   Ugift      deres Barn   
Maren Jensdatter   12   Ugift      deres Barn   
Marie Jensdatter   9   Ugift      deres Barn   
Hans Hansen   6   Ugift      deres Barn   

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Jim Knudsen Dato 25 Nov 2012 - 15:57

9. Thora Sophia Jensen b. Oct 10, 1856 in Noebbet, Horslunde parish Nakskov Denmark. m. Julius A. Knudsen Evansville, Wisconsin.

From another source, a church record on Thora:
10 Octob. 1856 Thora Sophie Jensen (born). (Baptised) Døbt i kirken 26 Dec 1856 (Parents) Huusmand Jens Rasmussen, hustru Kirstine Jensdat. 42 Aar, i Nøbbet.

Now I need to clear up the 2 different mother's names for Thora: Kirstine Jensdat or Ann Due' ?

Now I will copy down the information on Ole Knudsen and Magrete and try to start a chart for them. 

Jim, when you chart your info, note that Nakskov is not a district or county, but just another parish and city near Horslunde parish in Lollands Nørre district, Maribo county:  http://www.dis-danmark.dk/kort/kortmari.htm

The only family member listed who appears to have been from Nakskov parish was Jens Rasmussen.

The others may have identified with Nakskov because it was the largest city in the area.

Jim Knudsen

This is all such good information, so much to digest. the map is very helpfull. Im just guessing that terminology is different than here in the U.S.
Is Horslunde parish considered a City or Town or County? We dont use the term 'parrish' except as  meaning a church. Except in Louisana where their 'Parrish' is like our 'county' here in Minnesota. On the map the area called Nakskov...is that a drawing of the city limits more or less? Id just like to better understand the mapping and wording better. :)

It was 3 degrees (F) here this morning so my typing is slow :D

Thanks all again.

Homer Ficken

A Danish sogn (parish) seems to compare most nearly to a US county.
Within many parishes there's a town of same name, e.g. Nakskov the town is located in Nakskov sogn.

The herred (district) might compare to a geographical area within a US state, e.g. northeast Texas, etc.

The amt (county) probably compares best to a US state.

Others may have a better explanation.

Lissa Pedersen

Jim,

You can read here about the photographer, who took the photo of Julius Knudsen (use: www.translate.google.com): http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Neuhaus

Lissa

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Jim,

About the Due name. This could be Jens Rasmussen Due's parents in 1801:

maribo, Lollands Sønder, Stokkemarke, Kielderness Bye, , , 25.Familie, FT-1801
Rasmus Due 57  Gift Mand Jordløs Husmand og Dagleyer  
Karen Marie Jensdatter 47  Gift hans Kone  
Marie Andersdatter 80  Enke(mand) hendes Moder (her mother) Almisselem

Check on www.arkivalieronline.dk - Maribo county, Lolland Sønder district, Stokkemarke parish (1766-1811) - opslag 88 - Jens born to Rasmus Due in Kieldernes (now Keldernæs) - born/bapt. Dom 24 p(ost) Trinitatis 1785 (around Sep/Oct?)

Check this site: http://www.tingleff.asia/media/opslagsbog/Stokkemarke%20sogn.pdf - page 174:

"Keldernæs Skovvej 33 Matr. 29 b Keldernæs
Bygninger til husmandsstedet matr. 29 a Keldernæs, der beskrives her.
Keldernæs Skovvej 33 Matr. 29 b Keldernæs
Bygninger til husmandsstedet matr. 29 a Keldernæs, der beskrives her.
HF 1816 Jens Rasmussen Due 1785-1861
h. (wife) Anne Sofie Margrethe Christiansdatter 1786(*sjæ)-1854
b. Kirsten 1819, Margrethe Hansdatter (hendes = her) 1820, Christian 1821,
Maren 1823, Marie 1825, Hans 1828, Dorthe 1830†"

They were living in a house belonging to the estate Knuthenborg. Perhaps more could be found in this connection? HF = renting a house with or without land.

Translation will come later.

On this forum there is a Bjarne Due Pedersen, who is having a large database and is researching the Due persons on Lolland-Falster. Could be that he reads this? (http://www.slaegtogdata.dk/forum/index.php?topic=32240.0). One must register to get access to his website: http://bjarnedue.ftb-forum.dk/

Lissa

Lissa Pedersen

I have written Bjarne a private mail to draw his attention to this topic.

The promised translation:

"Buildings belonging to the smallholder place, cadastral No. 29 a Keldernæs, described here.
Keldernæs Skovvej 33 cadastral No. 29 b Keldernæs
HF 1816 Jens Rasmussen Due 1785-1861
h. (wife) Anne Sofie Margrethe Christiansdatter 1786(*sjæ (?))-1854
b. (children) Kirsten 1819, Margrethe Hansdatter (hendes = her) 1820, Christian 1821,
Maren 1823, Marie 1825, Hans 1828, Dorthe 1830†"

Lissa

Bjarne Due Pedersen

The last Jens Rasmussen Due is son of Rasmus Matthiasen Due. Jens was brother to Anders Rasmussen Due, there is my 3xgreat grandfather.

The Thora, born 10. oct 1856, is daughter of Jens Rasmussen and Kirstine Jensdatter, as written in the church book. This Jens Rasmussen isnt a Due.

Maribo, Lollands Nørre, Horslunde, Tvede, Nøbbet by, Horslunde sogn, Maribo Amt, 2. familie, 14. et hus, FT-1855, C6341
Jens Rasmussen 46  Gift husfader og brolægger  Nakskov
Ane Marie Jensen 39  Gift hans kone  Stokkemarke Sogn, Maribo Amt
Ane Dorthea Jensen 15  Ugift deres barn  Østofte Sogn, Maribo Amt
Rasmus Jensen 11  Ugift deres barn  Fejø
Signe Marie Jensen 8  Ugift deres barn  Her i Sognet
Peter Christian Jensen 6  Ugift deres barn  Her i Sognet
Ida Caroline Amalia Jensen 4  Ugift deres barn  Her i Sognet
En Udøbt Søn 1  Ugift deres barn  Her i Sognet

Maribo, Lollands Nørre, Horslunde, Nøbbet Skoledistrikt, Nøbbet By, Et Hus, 232 - F2, FT-1860, D6080
Jens Rasmussen 52  Gift Husfader. Brolægger  Nakskov
Ane Marie Jensen 45  Gift Hans Kone  Stokkemarke Sogn, Maribo Amt
Signe Marie Jensen 13  Ugift Deres Barn. underholdes af Fattigvæsenet  Horslunde Sogn, Maribo Amt
Peder Christian Jensen 11  Ugift Deres Barn. underholdes af Fattigvæsenet  Horslunde Sogn, Maribo Amt
Ida Caroline Amalie Jensen 8  Ugift Deres Barn. underholdes af Fattigvæsenet  Horslunde Sogn, Maribo Amt
Niels Julius Jensen 6  Ugift Deres Barn. underholdes af Fattigvæsenet  Horslunde Sogn, Maribo Amt
Thora Sophie Jensen 4  Ugift Deres Barn. underholdes af Fattigvæsenet  Horslunde Sogn, Maribo Amt
Jens August Ferdinand Rasmus Jensen 1  Ugift Deres Barn. underholdes af Fattigvæsenet  Horslunde Sogn, Maribo Amt

Ane Marie Jensdatter (1813-1822 Stokkemarke ops 66).  Born Oct 16 is daughter of Jens Rasmussen Due, in first line
Med venlig hilsen
Bjarne Due Pedersen
Med Lolland som midtpunkt for slægten
Bosat 3310, http://bjarne-due.dk

Jim Knudsen

Tak alle så meget for din hjælp med min familie historie. Jeg vidste ikke Google havde en oversætter, så jeg tænkte jeg ville bare sige tak på dansk. Hilsen

Lissa Pedersen

I have a question:

Why is the (last) Jens Rasmussen Due (b. approx. 1785 - or when was he born?) not with the family in 1787 .. or is he born after 1787?

maribo, Musse, Hunseby, Hunseby Bye, Huus, 46, FT-1787, B4956
Rasmus Mattisen Due 38  Gift Mand Huusmand og Slusemand  
Anna Mari Andersdatter 33  Gift kone  
Anders Rasmussen 8  Ugift søn  
Karen Maria Rasmusdatter 3  Ugift datter

.... Jens Rasmussen Due 1785-1861 ....

He is not here either:

maribo, Musse, Hunseby, Hunsebye Bye, , 49, FT-1801, b9295
Rasmus Mathiasen Due 52  Gift Mand Huus og Tømmermand  
Ane Marie Andersdatter 47  Gift Hans kone [Rasmus Mathiasen Due]  
Anders Rasmussen Due 22  Ugift Deres Søn [Rasmus Mathiasen Due og Ane Marie Andersdatter] Tømmersvend  
Kirstine Andersdatter 12  Ugift Et fader og moderløst barn [Rasmus Mathiasen Due og Ane Marie Andersdatter] underholdes af Tømmermanden

I'm a bit confused! Or am I completely wrong?

Could you explain a bit more Bjarne .... ?

Bjarne, you write:

The Thora, born 10. oct 1856, is daughter of Jens Rasmussen and Kirstine Jensdatter, as written in the church book. This Jens Rasmussen isnt a Due. - here I'm also confused.

Lissa

John Wrenholt

From the DDD Emigration Database:

Name:   Jensen, Thora   Occupation:   Tyende (m/k land)
Contract no.:   431200   Registration date:   6/8/1881
Last res. parish:   Horslunde (Lolland)   Last res. county:   Maribo
Last residence:   Horslunde, Maribo   Destination country:   USA
Destination city:   Evansville   Destination state:   Wisconsin
Name of ship:   Indirekte
IDcode:   I8081J6401

Bjarne Due Pedersen

Long story:
Matthias Rasmussen Due is father of my Rasmus Matthiasen Due, b. 1744, his mother is Anna Rasmusdatter,
Matthias married Karen Andersdatter Oemand in 1746 and they got a son, Rasmus Andreas Matthiasen Due, b. 1749.

Rasmus 1744 is father of Jens Rasmussen Due b. 1785 in Stokkemarke, and stayed there all his life.
Rasmus 1749 is born in Oestofte and died in Hunseby 1821.

Rasmus 1744 isnt found in census 1787, he was married 1777 in Stokkemarke, had a farm 1781-1783 in Stokkemarke, Census 1801:
Maribo, Lollands Sønder, Stokkemarke, Kielderness Bye, , 25.Familie, FT-1801, B7706
Rasmus Due 57 Gift Mand Jordløs Husmand og Dagleyer
Karen Marie Jensdatter 47 Gift hans Kone
Marie Andersdatter 80 Enke hendes Moder Almisselem

The name Due i all over this area, sons got it from their father and if they got married, passed away and their widow get married again - then could her new husband take the name. Isnt a baptised name, but a called name, there is a lot of "animals" at Lolland: Due, Fugl, Spurv, Kylling, Høg, Ravn, Grib, Krage, Bjørn, Kalv (Pigeon bird, sparrow, chicken, hawk, raven, Grip, Crow, Bear, Calf) and so on. Some was named after a place: Stryhn, Jyde, Halling, Skotte...., occupation: Smed, Væver, Skriver, Degn..... (Smith, Weaver, Writer, Teacher) or others like: Støvle, Pind, Kæp, Kølle, Skafte, Krog... (Boots, stick, bigger stick, club, shaft, hook,)

But the Due name is a great area, i have 775 at the moment in Lolland with that name, and more to come. Maybe 10 Anders Rasmussen Due at the same time, spread over this island and if 2 or more i married to an Ane Jensdatter - then it isnt easy  ;D

I would like to find Thora´s confirmation, normally when she was 14-15 years old, but not in Horslunde  :-[
Med venlig hilsen
Bjarne Due Pedersen
Med Lolland som midtpunkt for slægten
Bosat 3310, http://bjarne-due.dk

John Wrenholt

If one looks at the birth record for Thora's younger brother Jens August Ferdinand, you find that the mother was originally recorded as Anne Kirstine Jensen (age 43). Then at some point, the Kirstine has been crossed out and underneath Marie was added.  Perhaps this is a clue.

1830-1860 Horslund ops 59, #20 (on the right hand page).

Lissa Pedersen

Hi Jim,

This is a bit more about the 9 children (parents: Jens Rasmussen and Ane Marie Jensdatter):

Johannes Rasmussen born 18 February 1839 - Halsted parish, opslag 12 – illegitimate (alleged father Rasmus Jensen)
Ane Dorthe Jensen born 17 December 1840 - Løjtofte parish, opslag 54
Rasmus Jensen born ? (1843/44) - Fejø parish
Signe Marie Jensen born 29 March 1847 - Horslunde parish, opslag 86
Peder Christian Jensen born 16 January 1850 - Horslunde parish, opslag 34
Ida Caroline Amalie Jensen born 26 May 1852 - Horslunde parish, opslag 97
Niels Julius Jensen born 26 September 1854 - Horslunde parish, opslag 48
Thora Sophie Jensen born 10 October 1856 - Horslunde parish, opslag 107
Jens August Ferdinand Rasmus Jensen born 18 August 1859 - Horslunde parish, opslag 59

About Johannes Rasmussen: It explains his last name, as he was born to a Rasmus Jensen (also found his confirmation in Horslunde parish confirming same). He was confirmed in Horslunde parish on 3 April 1853, opslag 136.

At the wedding - on 13 October 1839 (opslag 80, right side) in Løjtofte parish - of Jens Rasmussen and Ane Marie Jensdatter is also says that he was a widower!

Lissa