Military Records

Startet af Ric Rasmussen, 23 Nov 2012 - 05:37

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Ric Rasmussen

I am new to this forum.  I was directed here by the archivists at the Danish National Archives.

I am trying to find out information about two individuals who came to the island of Moen.

This is the information that I have.

Peder Andersen
I have a marriage record from Fanefjord Parish, Monbo, Praesto stating:

Married in Fanefjord Jan 17, 1816, bachelor Peder Andersen, of Prince Christian's Regiment, serving in Tostenaes, 27 and maid Ane Margrethe Hansdatter, 25, serving Hans Hemmingsen's widow.

I don't have any other information.  I would be interested to know where he was from and who his parents were.  Also any additional information about him.

Soren Overbye
I have that he was the biological father of Karen Marie Sorensdatter born to Ane Margrethe Hansdatter 20 Nov 1811.  The two records from Fanefjord Parish state that he was a corporal of the Slesviske Horsemen.

Til Barnefader udlagt Corporal Soeren Overbye ved de Slesviske Ryttere.

I would similarly be interested to know where he is from and who his parents were along with any other information.

Is there anyone who can help me with this?

Thank you,

Ric Rasmussen
Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø

Ralph Rasmussen

I tried a detour. It looks as if that Peder Andersen was alive for the ever helpful 1845 census.

Is this the family?

Praestoe, Mønbo, Fanefjord, Vendebek Bye, 1 Huus, No 85, FT-1845, B9407
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Peder Andersen 56  Gift  Inderste og Dagleier her i Sognet [born 'here', i.e. Fanefjord]
Ane Margrethe Hansdatter 55  Gift  hans Kone [Peder Andersen] Do [her i Sognet]
Karen Maria Sørensen 34  Ugift  deres Datter [Peder Andersen og Ane Margrethe Hansdatter] Do [her i Sognet]
Hans Jørgen Christensen 5  -  hendes uægte Søn [Karen Maria Sørensen] Do [her i Sognet]

That should then be the Peder Andersen baptized the Sunday before Lent in 1789, son of Anders Jørgensen and Anna Marie Larsdatter (Fanefjord 1777-1794, opslag 125, right side).

Hr. Overby was likely from any of five or so villages named Overby in southern Jutland.  Unless he eventually settled on Møn, the military records will hold the key.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Ric Rasmussen

Wow!  That is great information.  Yes, that is the right family.  Hans Jorgen was my great-great grandfather.  Thank you, Ralph.

I had seen the census info before but missed that he was born in the parish.  Thank you for finding him in the parish record.  Those dates are fairly difficult to read for me and even with you pointing it out, I had to read over it several times to be sure I was looking at the right one.  Would it be too much to ask you for the text of the rest of that entry.  I can understand bits and pieces but I am missing words.

Any tips on how to get the military records on Soren Overbye?

Thank you,

Ric

PS  My full name is Ralph Richard Rasmussen.  My father is Ralph Waldo Rasmussen, Jr.  My grandfather was Ralph Waldo Rasmussen.  Great name.
Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø

Ralph Rasmussen

Transcribed:

Dom: Esto Mihi døbt Anders Jørgenss
og Anna Maria Lars Daatters Drenge
barn af D... kaldet Peder, baaren
af Morten Hanses Hustru Mette ibidem
Test: Jochum Jacobs af A..bye, J....
Rasmussen ...., Jørgen Larss af
K..bÿe, Jacob Johan Jacobss Hustrue
Dreng, Lars Jørgen af D..., Anders
Larsens Hustrue M.... Christens??
af B......

(right) Drbn 6 [sixth male this church year]
[moderen] Introduceret d: 18 Marti

Septuagesima (February 22, 1789) baptized Anders Jørgensen
and Anna Maria Larsdatter's son
from D...., Peder, presented at the font by
Morten Hansen's wife Mette of the same village.
Witnesses were Jochum Jacobsen of A...by, J...
Rasmussen (of ....), Jørgen Larsen of
K...by, Jacob, Johan Jacobsen's
servant, Lars Jørgensen of D..., Anders
Larsen's wife, M. C.
of B...

I will need to study my map to fill the place names in later.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Lissa Pedersen

Hi,

barn af D... - D.. could be = Dame = Damme

and

af A..bye - could be Braaby (even if it's not in the immediate neighbourhood)

For finding place names (e.g. in a parish) use this: www.krabsen.dk. Sogn = parish

A wild guess - K...by - could be Kokseby? (Koxebye)

Lissa

Ric Rasmussen

Thank you.

A..bye = Askebye

D... is Dame

K..bye is Kokseby (Koxebye)

Those are all names I am familiar with.

Thank you again.  Very helpful.
Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø

Ralph Rasmussen

Family search has one other record from this era where a Søren Overby is the father.  But Søren Overby in Holstebro is definitely not your soldier.  He's in the 1801 and 1834 censuses, too young to be the father of your Søren and married in 1801 to the mother of the child born around 1812.

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Ric Rasmussen

I found the other birth record of Peder Anderson.  I think the text from this will help clear up some incorrect information.  Could I get some help with the Danish and English text.  Thank you.

It appears in 1788-1815, Fanefjord, Monbo, Praesto, Opslag 7, right side.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø

Lissa Pedersen

xx Sunday baptised Anders Jørgensen and
wife Anna Maria's child of Dame xx xx
Peder. Carried (to the baptism) by Morten Hansen's wife
Mette ibid (ibid = same place). Witnesses/godparents: Jochum Jacobsen of Askebye
Jens Rasmussen of Dame, Jørgen Larsen of
xx, Anders Larsen's wife of xx

Lissa

Ric Rasmussen

Thank you, Lissa.

Can anyone make out the words that Lissa couldn't particularly the word right before Peder?  On familysearch.org, he has an entry that is Lasse Peder and I think that is coming from this record but it doesn't make sense to me.  I have never heard that name before nor an any of the other records of him do I see that name repeated.

Any help or clarification would be appreciated.
Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø

Helmer Christiansen

I think it says "ved Navn" (by the name)
Helmer Christiansen
2000 F

Ralph Rasmussen

The Sunday is 'Fastelavns', the Sunday before Lent.  In 1789, February 22.  Jørgen L. is from Koxebye.  The other missing place name is not obvious on my map of the parish.
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen

Ric Rasmussen

Thank you all.  Merry Christmas!!
Fanefjord, Mønbo, Præstø