Natmand ?

Startet af Lynn Christiansen, 13 Nov 2012 - 02:02

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Lynn Christiansen

I have found several ancestors referred to as "Natmand"...literal translation is "night man".

Is that correct and what would a Natmand be done as a worker? Is this a general classification such as 'laborer'?

Your feedback would be appreciated...thank you
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

Ralph Rasmussen

Per Wikipedia, on the face of it, a privy cleaner. He worked at night because folks would just as soon not see him at work or be shut out of the shared outhouse.

But the term was applied liberally to those who did the unpleasant jobs in the community, or were a bit outside the master/servant or tradesman norms.  According to Molbech's dictionary, the term was also extended to a kind of fraternity of drifters and beggars who had their own jargon.

It was a living, and could have conveyed a certain status to those who did their work to the benefit of the village.

mvh
-Ralph

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Lynn Christiansen

Thank you for your feedback.

I find it interesting....I am assuming that those involved in such an occupation may have been looked down upon as possible low class individuals even though they performed a meaningful and necessary task...a task that  a perceived "upper" class individual would not want to do.

IF that were the case why would one take that occupational name as part of their full surname?

Ralph Rasmussen

What period are you dealing with? 

Sometimes a newly installed gaardmand could 'take' a nickname.  But before about 1810 when family names were to be passed from generation to generation, it was more a case of being given a nickname in the parish to sort out the many with the same or similar names. 

-Ralph

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Lynn Christiansen

Ralph---

This was in the 1700s.

What I am trying to understand for the sake of knowledge is: Was a "Natmand" considered a job of last resort by the populous of the time? Was a "Natmand" a common laborer, handyman, a skilled individual, trained, or educated person that filled that occupation.

Most of my ancestors that I have located have be farmers of one level or another, skilled craftsmen such as carpenters (my grandfather and father, for example), tailors, merchants, mariners, etc. Hence, my interest in what would be involved as a 'natmand' and why one would add it to ones names such as Smed or Toppenborg which I also have in my family line.

Thanks for the feedback and input....

Anne Marie Holck

Hello Lynn,

Here's a link to the danish encyclopedia describing Natmand http://www.denstoredanske.dk/Erhverv,_karriere_og_ledelse/H%C3%A5ndv%C3%A6rk/%C3%86ldre_stillingsbetegnelser/natm%C3%A6nd

Google translates some of it like this:
Scavengers or gypsies made ​​their living primarily for the disposal of dead animals, but also undertook work that others would not have, for example, dismantling executed, nightrenovation and horsegildning; therefore were like hangman considered dishonest, ie. dishonorable, and was ostracized by society.

Unfortunately it's all in danish, but you can also try this website http://www.rba.esbjergkommune.dk/Ribes%20historie/Rakker.dk.aspx

It's also in Danish, but maybe Google translate can help you.

Lynn Christiansen

Thank you for the insight...As I go through this segment of the family line I will try to see if they were congregated in a specific area of Denmark. Once I determine that then I will try to get the history of the area(s). This is what makes genealogy research so addictive.

Again thank you...