Thomas Peter Christensen

Startet af Paul Løndahl-Smidt, 08 Nov 2012 - 05:54

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

I am trying to help a woman locate the birth of an ancestor, Thomas Peter Christensen.  According to his American death certificate he was born in Lolna, Denmark on 5 Dec 1864, but I think it is Tolne, Hjørring.  The certificate lists his name as Thomas Peter Petersen and his parents as Anna Thomasen and Jens CHRISTENSEN.  I have located the marriage of this couple in Tolne on 8 Apr 1857, opslag 101 nr 2.  Since I know that they were in the parish in 1859 but are not in the 1860 census for Tolne, I thought that the marriage record might tell where Jens Christensen was from.  Would someone take a look at it and see if it tells where Jens was from.  Mange tak.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul
Fåborg    Barløse

Peter Kristiansen

The marriage of the couple in Tolne 8 Apr 1857 only mentions where the persons live at their marriage - Jens Christensen, 35 year, "on the property of Snerpen" in Tolne parish. Vaccinated 1836 and confirmed 1837.

Widower Ane Thomasdatter, 32 years of "Snerpens House" in Tolne parish - and then something unreadable.

I haven't found the two listed in any census in and around Tolne??

Snerpen is a placename in the southern part of Tolne parish.
http://arkiv.kms.dk/mpn/o2mapviewer.aspx?type=sognekort&id=1459&mode=2&elav=5313

But it seems strange why Thomas should be born in Tolne if the parents are married here, but not found in the 1860 census.
I haven't found Thomas' birthday in the parish register for Tolne.

Lolna? - Laaland?? - island of Lolland to day
M.v.h. Peter Kristiansen

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

Hej Peter,

Thank you so much for looking at the marriage record.  I only wish I could have found them in the afgangliste or the death records, but no such luck.  I guess I will try neighboring parish birth records.

med venlig hilsen
Paul
Fåborg    Barløse

John Wrenholt

Have you looked at the birth recorded on Dec 24, 1864 in Flade, Hjørring (ops 55)?  The parents are Jens Christensen and Ane Thomsen but I'm not sure what the boy's name is?

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

Hej John,

I had seen the Flade record but thought it incorrect at the time.  I now have looked at two birth records for children of Jens Christensen and Ane Thomasdatter in Tolne and see that they were Mormons and thus not baptized.  Now I see that the child born in Flade was also not baptized.  Perhaps because he was also Mormon.  I wish the tilgangliste for Flade was online.  Then I could check from 1859 to 1864 and see if the couple came into Flade and where from.  Oh will that is what makes genealogy such fun.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul
Fåborg    Barløse

John Wrenholt

Is this the same Thomas Peter listed in the 1880 Ephraim, Sanpete, Utah census?  I have been able to track the Peder F Christensen birth to Flade (ops 66).

Household   Gender   Age   Birthplace
self    Peder A. Pedersen   M   46    Denmark
wife   Anne Pedersen   F   50    Denmark
step son   Thomas Peter Christensen   M   18    Denmark
step son   Peder F. Christensen   M   14    Denmark
daughter   Trine M. Folsted   F   19    Utah, United States
son   Fredrick Jensen   M   9    Brazil

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

Hej John,

Thanks for your expert help.

I know that Thomas Peter Christensen died in Utah but don't know if that is the same person as in the census for Utah.  However, his death certificate lists his name as Thomas Peter Petersen and his parents as Anna Thomasen (I know that she was baptized Anna although other records list her as Ane).  I think we have solved the mystery.

med venlig hilsen
Paul
North Carolina, USA
Fåborg    Barløse

John Wrenholt

I think I may have found the family in the 1860 census for Aasted (ops 18, top of right hand page).  There are several children listed with the last name of Nielsen.  I have found a family tree that shows that Ane Thomassen was married 3 times. The first time to Niels Andersen in Nov 27, 1846.

I'm still unable to locate the birth records for Thomas Peter.

John Wrenholt

Anna was born in Understed (ops 30) on Feb 5, 1826 to Thomas Pedersen and Maren Thomasdatter.

Paul Løndahl-Smidt

Hej John,

I have had difficulty finding them from 1859 to 1864 and the death of Jens Christensen and Anna's marriage to Peder A. Pedersen.  Of course the death and marriage may have happened in the USA, but our records are not nearly as complete as the Danish ones.  I do know that the death of Jens is not in the Flade kirkebog.

Thanks for all your help.

mvh
Paul
Fåborg    Barløse