Help reading father's name and location

Startet af Susan Russell, 30 Okt 2012 - 05:01

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Susan Russell

Hello,
I'm having some trouble making out a record for my ancestor. I will try to attach, but if it's not clear or doesn't attach, it is in the Kirkebog for Tornby, Vennebjerg, Hjørring 1814-1843 op. 67. Third record down for Sextine Gregorine Caroline Fredericksdatter.

I believe the parents column says

Mother unmarried Anne Marie Christensdatter

But I can't make out the rest. There seems to be a name Christen Andersen, who could be Anne's father and then a name Johan Frederick ??, who could be the baby's father. Is this correct? It also looks like some words which may where they are from and I can't make those out either.

Thanks for any help!

Areas of Interest:
København
Roskilde > Ramsø
Præsto > Strøby and Herfølge
Ålborg > Års > Flejsborg
Ålborg > Slet > Bjørnsholm, Kornum, Løgsted, Løgstor, Næsborg, Oudrup, Vindblæs

Lillian Møller Pavlovic

Hi Susan,
The mother was unmarried Anne Marie Christensdatter and she was living in the house of smallholder Christen Andersen in Kjøbsted. The father was unmarried Johan Frederich Smidling from Kjærsgaard mølle (mill). The child was christened at home on the 30th November and brought to church on the 1st January 1828, held at the christening by the daughter of millwright Smidling, Inger Cathrine (domestic servant in Hjørring. The sponsors were: Lars Nielsen and Christen Andersen of Kjøbsted. Unmarried Christen Pedersen and unmarried Kirsten Pedersdatter of Kjøbsted.

The family Smidling was also spelled Smelling, Schmelling etc. At this link
http://www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/read.php?1,72454,72454

you can read that the Smelling family moved from Tåsinge to the mill at Kjærsgaard in Tornby in 1816. The father of "your" Johan Frederich Smidling was Johan Ludvig Schmelling and the mother was Kirsten Christensdatter. Johan Ludvig died in 1831 in the parish of Astrup only 52 years old. He was a miller. In the census of 1834 (opslag 10) in Astrup, Hving mølle (mill) you will see that his widow Kirsten Christensdatter is still there.

At this link
http://www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/read.php?1,72623,72623

you will see that Kirsten Christensdatter died in Hjørring in 1864. Johan Ludvig and Kirsten were married on the 8th August 1806 in Bregninge, Taasinge (Tåsinge)

The family is also mentioned at this link
http://ddd.dda.dk/nygaard/visning_billed.asp?id=353347&sort=e

Regards,
Lillian

Susan Russell

Lillian,

Wow, thank you for all that information -- more than I was expecting! I have a lot to add to my family tree.

In the first link, it looks like all those families are connected. Now I'm curious about the "Barnemordersken fra Aastrup." I couldn't quite tell from google translate if someone in one of those families was a murderer or if the family just happened to be mentioned in a book about a murderer. Hopefully the second option.

Thank you again for providing so much information and the links as well.

Susan
Areas of Interest:
København
Roskilde > Ramsø
Præsto > Strøby and Herfølge
Ålborg > Års > Flejsborg
Ålborg > Slet > Bjørnsholm, Kornum, Løgsted, Løgstor, Næsborg, Oudrup, Vindblæs