Help please - complete beginner - can't speak Danish looking for a relative!

Startet af louise sutton, 18 Okt 2012 - 23:55

Forrige emne - Næste emne

louise sutton

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me, I am a beginner at looking for relatives abroad and do no speak Danish so haven't got very far.

Does anyone know where the best place is to look, I have tried Ancestry.co.uk (world package) but haven't come up with anything.  I have only limited information but was hoping to at least find a selection of birth/death records to check out or possibly the danish equivalent of the phone book.

I am looking for Kai Sorensen, last seen in Roskilde in 1950 whilst he was serving in the army, his approximate year of birth is between 1928-1931.  He was a farmer and only child, his family had a farm on sealand, thats about all I have, basic I know, but if I could at least find some records to check though, there might be some near matches.

I would be so grateful for any advice given as I don't know where else to go have no other way of finding him

Kind regards.

Louise

Lajla Yvonne Dight

Hello Louise

You probably need to find something in your private papers that might give a hint of the actual birth place. There are so many churchbooks you can look through.

If you go to Arkivalieronline.dk, then click on Kirkebøger - then on Søg i kirkebøger it's a start but you might have a problem from here. Without a hint of the area where the person was born, it would take forever to look.  When the page with Kirkebøger comes up you will see three lines: Amt, Herred, Sogn (equivalent to County, Shire, Parish).  In your case I would start by looking under Amt - Roskilde - and then take it church by church as the drop-down list shows.

Time consuming but possible.

You are welcome to write to me on the private e-mail if I can be of further help.

Cheers,
Lajla

Lynn Christiansen

Here are three " Kai Sorensen" from Family Search that might help

1) Kai Soerensen b: 9 Oct 1927 Viborg,Viborg, Denmark d: 29 Apr 1983 Viborg, Viborg, Denmark
2) Kai Leo Sørensen b: 11 Oct 1932 Gudum, Aalborg, DK d: 31 Jan 2008 Aalborg, DK Spouse: Birthe Nielsen Parents: Ricard Peter Sørensen and Emilie Jensen Bendsen
3) Kai Helbo Sorensen b: 22 Oct 1933 Rodkarsbro, Viborg, DK d: 26 Nov 1982 Parents: Soren Sorensen and
Eleonore Kristine Petrea HELBO Pedersen

I don't know if any of these are your Kai but it is a start.

PS---
There is a link that you can go to to get Instructions on the use of Arkivalieronline.dk (AO) in English at the top of this forum bulletin board
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

Susan Russell

Another good resource is the Dansk Demografisk Database at  http://www.ddd.dda.dk/kiplink_en.htm

Unfortunately the census records only go through 1930, but I did find a Kai Sørensen in Roskilde born in 1915. Could be a lead if your birth year is off. (Reerslev is the parish).

Roskilde, Tune, Reerslev, Reerslev, 39a, , 3, FT-1921
Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation in household: Occupation: Birth place:
Ludvig Sørensen    15/7 1886    Gift Husfader Parcelist Vellerup
Laura Sørensen    12/4 1889    Gift Husmoder  Hyllinge
Kai Sørensen    20/4 1915    Ugift Barn  Reerslev
Arne Sørensen    4/9 1916    Ugift Barn  Reerslev
Poula Sørensen    8/11 1917    Ugift Barn  Reerslev

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I did a search for 1916 and later just on the name "Kai" and most of them were in Køge (parish), Ramsø, Roskilde. I don't really know this region, so maybe that's just the biggest parish. But it could be a starting place if you're going to slog through all the church books.

Good luck!

Susan

Areas of Interest:
København
Roskilde > Ramsø
Præsto > Strøby and Herfølge
Ålborg > Års > Flejsborg
Ålborg > Slet > Bjørnsholm, Kornum, Løgsted, Løgstor, Næsborg, Oudrup, Vindblæs

Lis B. Jensen

Hi  Louise

Where did You get the information abt. Kai Sørensen serving the army 1950?

As i look at this he then must be born abt. 1930 - unless he was sergent or officer in the army.
Lis B. Jensen
Ses i Legacy Forum: http://legacydansk.com og
https://vordingborglokalarkiv.dk/

louise sutton

wow - thank you all so much, I didn't imagine I would get such a positive response.

I will go through the webistes you have given me.

Lynn - I tried family search and keep getting no record available, how did you find these records?

I am going to see if there is any other info that could possibly help.

Lis - the last person to see him in 1950 was his ex-girlfriend (who has since passed away) when their child was adopted, he was serving in the army, he was probably about 19-21 at the time.

I haven't been able to find a record of the birth of their child - Allen Christopher Thomsen.  Does anyone know if adoption records are available online, or possibly something as simple as a telephone directory?

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help, this has become a very important search.  Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.

Louise

Michelle Bie

Where was their child born? That could help locating information.

Bjørn Marcher

Dear Louise,

Please know that the name Kai or Kaj Sørensen is not really unusual. The given name Kai / Kaj is no longer common, but it was a like a fashion name in the beginning of the 1900's.

I took a statistic on www.dst.dk: We have in Denmark like 359 Kaj Sørensen and 66 Kai Sørensen still living in 2012. Most of them will probably be senior citizens, and I am sure there have been a lot more of them. Probably like 10 to 20% of them could be from the countryside in Sealand.

This is just to say that if you find one Kai Sørensen, you can not be sure it is the right one....
So somehow you have to give more detailed informations which could narrow the field of candidates. E.g. do you know in which military unit he was serving?

For adoption there is a long "grace period" where they are not public. I am not sure but it is probably 70 or 80 years.

Please also be aware that this forum is not supposed to help for informations of living persons.... do you have any clue if Kai or Allen would still be alive?

best regards

Bjørn
Bjørn Marcher
2670 Greve
www.bearfields.dk
Medlem af DIS-Danmark

Lynn Christiansen

Hi  Louise---

I did a nFS search on:

Ancestor's first name: Kai
Last name: Sorensen
Event: Birth
Event Date: 1930
Event Place: Denmark

I did it again just now and there are 5 close matches: of which 2 are duplicates

Kaj Bach Sørensen b: about 1935 Vestervig, Thisted, Danmark, d: about 1954
Parents: Johannes Villiam Sørensen and Petra Marie Jensen

Hope this helps.....
Research Areas: Thisted, Aarhus, Viborg

Lis B. Jensen

Hi Louise

You Could try to go through the Churchrecords in Roskilde - at http://www.sa.dk/ao - unless You know where the Child is born.

adoptions is not available foro this time - and there is a personality-limit too - because the adoption isn't old enough. The limit is 75 Years.
Lis B. Jensen
Ses i Legacy Forum: http://legacydansk.com og
https://vordingborglokalarkiv.dk/

Kristensen

jhk

louise sutton

Thank you all so much again, your help is so appreciated.  I know Allen is still alive but is unable to help, I am assuming Kai (or Kaj) may have passed away.

My search continues.

Regards.

Louise