Is there a search engine for Arkivalieronline?

Startet af Kurt Larsen, 14 Dec 2010 - 15:03

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Kurt Larsen

Anyone, or even the good folks that found my info in my other threads,

Is there a search engine for the parish records/Kirkeboger on this site?  I always have to weed through each
Opslag yet people are pretty quick on finding information on this site?

Is there a place you can just type in the persons name and it shows which opslag so quickly?

Am I missing something in Danish?

Thanks for any insight!

Karen Graabæk Møller

Hi Kurt

There are no name search engine for AO, although on ddd.dda.dk (Danish Demographic Database - hope you know it) there are some transcribed books available for searches.

I think some of it comes from knowing the language - I can skim a page quite quickly in the search for a certain name, if I know where to look.

There is also a "method" to most churchbooks: born babyboys, born babygirls, confirmed boys, confirmed girls, marriages, dead men, dead women. If the churchbook also contains lists of those moving to and from the parish, these are usually between marriages and dead men, with those moving to the parish first.

So if you have a date, a name and an event, you can pretty quickly locate the pages of most interest.

Hope this helps a little.

Karen G. Møller

Kurt Larsen

Thanks Karen!

That's exactly what i do, i SLOWLY weed through each one. You're pretty good!

I have traced a lot of family, but am now trying to look for the ones that are dead ends.

Thanks again for the insight!

Kurt

Karen Graabæk Møller

Hi again

Just to make sure, you do know about the ddd.dda.dk page? It contains searchable census data that has been typed by volunteers, and almost all censuses before and including the 1845 census are typed in. The next goal is to have the 1880 census all typed in.

Through the ddd.dda.dk page you can search for names in all of Denmark - and since 1845, the birth parish has been added to the information, making it easier to locate a person's birth data.

This page is a quick way to locate persons if you have very little information about them.

Just if you didn't know..

Karen

Kurt Larsen

Yes, thanks Karen, i use DDD and all the other sites quite frequently.....i am just a little slower translating the Danish!

You'll be seeing a lot of requests from me mostly looking for people after the census info.........trying to see if any families are tied into mine.......so far its looking like my clan has been dying out (unless i'm missing some children that might have lived post 1921).

Thanks again!

Kurt

Leif Sommerdal

Familysearch.org is also a very good source to search in. Can give hints on where to look in AO.

Kind regards
Leif C. Nielsen
Med venlig hilsen
Leif Sommerdal(2650)

Jørgen Sørensen

As Karen Graabæk Møller wrote it, is there any system in KB.
In this example from AO
1. Allinge  Bornholm Nørre Bornholm Allinge-Sandvig-Olsker  1718 1760 X   X X   
2. Allinge  Bornholm Nørre Bornholm Allinge-Sandvig            1813 1828 X X X X X X X

Parish = Sogn = Allinge
District Herred = Bornholm Nørre
County = Amt = Bornholm
Text

F - born
K - Confirmed
V - Married
D - Dead
J - Some time you can see if an person is more then one time in the  same KB.
A - Departure Lists to another Parish
T coming from another Parish.
We are updating the database with actions, so if there are no X's next to a book, it is because we have not reached that far yet.

In example 1 Are there born boys and girls - No konfirmatationer - marry - and died.
In example 2 Are all there.
Venligst Jørgen - 2300

Janice Simpson

Hi Kurt,
Something that might help you navigate the Danish records (or any records) is setting up a timeline for the family you  are researching.  I did one in the form of a spreadsheet for the family of my Danish grandfather this past Spring and within a few months I had 75 entries for various events in their lives over a period of 50 years.  That involved tracking them from Fakse, Præsto through many addresses and parishes in København.  My Danish is very limited; it gets better as you go.

The spread sheet keeps everything in front of you so you can see what you need to look for and hopefully it points to a logical place to search for the next item.  I worked back and forth between the churchbooks, census records in both the AO and ddd.dk, and police records.

Also, developing some stories from what you know can help.  In the case of your Laurits Gustave Pedersen I saw that he was older and retired in the 1921 census and that his wife Frederikke was from Buderup so I thought it was a good bet that he could have stayed right there until he died.  The confirmation showed that he was still living in 1922 so I just moved forward looking for his death.  When I found, in his death record, that he had another wife after Frederikke I went back to look for Frederikke's death and found it quickly.

Christina Wilson

The various familysearch sites (there are now three) are excellent places to start your search.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1182723949951
https://www.familysearch.org/ This is a beta and perhaps the hardest to make sense of.

They all have pluses and minuses and weird quirks.

They are worth their weight in electrons, if the people you are hunting for have been transcribed.

Christina
Christina

Jørgen Sørensen

If you ar working in København take a look here.
http://www.fogsgaard.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=24&lang=en - The Copenhagen Death Roll 1893 - 1923

http://www.fogsgaard.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=18&lang=en - Streets of of Copenhagen & and the municipality of Frederiksberg until 1925
Venligst Jørgen - 2300