Trying to find Magnus Löfgren and Anna Kathrina Adamsdotterr

Startet af Michelle Bie, 12 Sep 2012 - 23:40

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Michelle Bie

I have found my grandmother's parents (Magnus Löfgren and Anna Kathrina Adamsdotter) in Hjørring up until the 1921 census.

Hjørring, Vennebjerg, Skt. Hans opslag 100 nr. 9.

I know that they were still in Hjørring until at least 1929. They may have moved, but I have an immigration record for one of their sons in 1924 that lists Magnus at Bagterp, Hjørring. I have gone through the census for 1925 a couple of times and I don't see them. Maybe I am just missing them or they have moved.

I know that they died in Denmark but I can't find their deaths either.

Magnus died October 19, 1848 (Magnus was born Oct 5, 1861 in Malmöhus, Løvestad, Sweden)
Anna Kathrina died August 15, 1931 (Anna was born June 2, 1863 in Kronoberg, Alumdsryd, Sweden)

I have seen some of you find information that seem like miracles to me with the little information you have to work with, and I am hoping maybe someone can help me find Magnus and Anna in 1925 and later or at least point me in the direction to find them. I don't know where to look next.

Michelle

Eva Morfiadakis

There is a Baterp in Bistrup sogn, Vennebjerg, Hjørring amt and a Bagterp Vrensted sogn, Børglum, Hjørring. Have you looked for them in Bistrup sogn?

Eva M
Eva M

Michelle Bie

Hi Eva,

I found them in Hjørring, Vennebjerg, St Hans sogn, Bagterp in the census for 1906, 1911, 1916 and 1921. It's when I got to the 1925 census that I can't find them in the census records.

I even looked through all of church records for Hjørring for the dates of death that I have hoping to find where they were living when they died. I suppose that it is possible that the dates could be wrong, although I got them from a one of their grandsons in Denmark. It may also be possible that they may have been living closer to their sons in Denmark when when they died. I have a great grandson in Denmark trying to find out from our great uncle if he might know where they died but he is elderly and and not very well, so I'm sure it will be easy to get that information, he is the last living grandsons in Denmark and my father is even older and left Denmark when he was 6. I talked to my Dad and he knew that his grandpa died after WW II but he wasn't sure of the year.

It seems that my family in Denmark did not know much about their family history, it was a surprise to my "cousin" that the family lived in Hjørring and that the family originally came from Sweden. If Magnus is unable to provide the information, I am afraid it might be lost forever.

Michelle

Michelle Bie

Never mind about needing help, school has started and I don't have time to work on genealogy right now anyway.

Michelle

Bettina Hartmann Bender

Hej Michelle, this answer can keep till you get the time!

I just wondered if you could look for the family Braad-Sørensen in Hjørring, where the 22-23 year old daugther Anna Löfgren was supposed to work as a "kransebinderske" in 1921? Maybe that could give some faster clues than going through all the material for the Hjørring area..

best wishes,
Bettina

Eva Morfiadakis

Bettina,
I had a look at the Braad-Sörensen family in Hjörring in FT 1921. Their floral shop/plant nursery was on Dronningensgade 2/Skolegade 3 but I can't seem to find Anna Løfgren who you say was working there as florist (making wreaths). - Image 5. Perhaps they had another garden elsewhere in Hjörring.

Eva M
Eva M

Bettina Hartmann Bender

No, she is in the 1921 census noted together with her mother and father. I meant to look for Braad-S in the 1925 or 1930 census, to maybe find the Löfgrens that way round (I know it's a long shot, but still).

Michelle Bie

It is interesting about finding Anna Löfgren working in a nursery, I didn't know that. But is could say that in the census and since I can't read Danish or only a few words, I wouldn't know it if I saw it. Can you tell me where you found this information?

I found the Löfgrens in 1921, but not after that. My grandparents were married in 1922 in Frederikshavn. My Dad was born in Copenhagen in the same year. In 1924 my grandma and dad went to Canada to live where my grandfather was, he may have gone the same year or the year before, I couldn't find the year only the month and date. At some point in time my grandparents returned to Denmark, the only time frame I know is it was before April 1927, because my Dad remembers his paternal grandmothers funeral,  she was buried in Hjørring kirkegaard.

My Dad remembers living on his Löfgren grandparents farm at least part if not all of the time they were in Denmark between 1927 and when they left for the United States in 1929 . I have my Dad's passport for then.

My grandmother (Anna) also returned to Denmark for a visit in 1947, sailing from Copenhagen in Nov and arriving in New York in Dec. But it does not say where she went  just when she left the United States, when and where the departure from Denmark was, when and where the arrival  in the US was, when and where she got her US passport and where in the US she lived. I know her father was still alive at that time but not where he lived.

I really should be concentrating on what I need to do regarding school, but this has almost become an obsession to find my ancestors and information about them. I wish I had asked my grandma questions when she was alive or even my Dad when his memory was better, but as long as I can remember i heard his Löfgren grandparents lived in Hjørring. I have gone over the 1925 and 1930 census for the area in Hjørring where I found them up to 1921.

As I said earlier, it may be possible they went to live near one of their sons and that is why I can't find their deaths, but it is that time period when I know they were somewhere in Hjørring that has me befuddled.

If you have any ideas where else, or what I should search, I would appreciate it. I found so much about this part of my family in Sweden but they have been elusive in Denmark.

Thank you for your help.
Michelle

Eva Morfiadakis

Michelle,

I remember I helped you a bit with Magnus. However, I can't remember when he was born.

I found this grave in Lövestad cemetery:

Hanna Löfgren
Födelsedatum: 1859-05-24
Avliden: 1923-05-18
Gravsattdatum: 1923-05-24
Kyrkogård: Vanstads Nya Kyrkogård
Församling: Lövestads Församling
Gravnummer: Vn D 77
Del:  D

Could this be a sister of Magnus'?  She is the only one buried in this grave. If it is a sister and she had no children, her brothers and sisters would be her heirs. Her probate may give Magnus' address.

Eva M
Eva M

Bettina Hartmann Bender

Hi Michelle,

Enclosed, please find the FT1921 with your great-grandparents and their daughter, Anna - here, you can see that her occupation was "kransebinderske" - binding flower wreaths, and that her employer was Braad-Sørensen. She apparently lived at home even though she worked, probably because she worked so relatively near her parents home (?).

I now understand that said Anna is your grandmother, who got married in 1922? If that is the case, it would of course not work looking for her under the Braad-Sørensen family in the 1925 census in Hjørring, when you know she was married and living in Copenhagen.

I'm a bit confused about what you're looking for, and therefore I do not know how to help you (if I can) - maybe it would help to make a timeline of information reg. each person, with name, age, geography and source, for each timestamp that you know something about them? And then indicate which gaps you would like to fill?

PS! Reg. this kind of research I understand your obsession! However, I have learned from my own experience, that letting time go and not rushing is an advantage, as more and more information is becoming digitally available and searchable, making it more and more easy to find your way around the old sources. The only rush is to talk to the already living about details they remember?

best wishes,
Bettina

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Michelle Bie

Hi Eva,

Magnus was born in 1861. Hanna may have been a cousin, but she was not Magnus's sister. He had a sister Anna born in 1859 but she died in 1862.

Magnus's father had 4 brothers, I know the names of the children of two of them  but none were named Hanna. Not sure about the other two brothers. But that wouldn't to locate Magnus anyway.

Any other ideas. If I could find information for the deaths of Magnus and Anna's might that include where there parents lived? One son. Oskar Einar died in 1957 and the other, Hans Magnus Theman died in 1971.  I will see if I have where they lived when they died. One other thing, Hans was an artist in Denmark, I think he had a gallery at one time and a while ago I searched to see if I could find anything about him as an artist and did find an art auction house that had a couple of his paintings listed. But I didn't find anything about him personally, but what I can find here and what maybe found in Denmark could be different.

I emailed the grandson of Oskar Einar and he said he would contact Hans's son Magnus to see if he might know something. Grandson Magnus was 11 or 12 when his grandfather died so I'm hoping he might remember something, but he is not well so not sure what we will find out from him. I will also write to him, but he has never been prompt in replying to letters. In the meantime, I will continue to search the census records when I have the time.

Michelle

Michelle Bie

Hello Bettina,

Thank you for the information.

My ultimate goal is to find the death records for my great grandparents, Magnus and Anna Kathrina.

This is a time line of what I know

Magnus Löfgren was born Oct 5, 1861 in Malmöhus, Lövestad, Sweden. He went to Denmark in 1882.

Anna Kathrina Adamsdotter was born June 2, 1863 in Kroxhult, Kronoberg, Almundsryd, Sweden. She went to Lolland (? Spelling), Denmark in 1880. 

Magnus and Anna were married May 29, 1889 at St Johannes. Sokkelund, København, Denmark.

Their first child, Oskar Einar was born in Kobenhavn  on Feb 13, 1889. Their second child, Hans Magnus Theman was born July 7, 1892 in Nørre Herlev sogn, Lynge-Frederiksborg, Frederiksborg, Denmark. Their third child, Anna Hima Marie Bengta was born June 6, 1898 in Astrup, St Hans sogn, Vennebjerg,  Hjørring.

In the 1906, 1911, 1916 and 1921 census records they are found at Bagterp, St Hans sogn, Vennebjerg, Hjørring.

The May 1924 Canada Ocean Arrival documents for my grandmother and Dad list the nearest relative in Denmark as Magnus Löfgren, Bagterp.

When my grandparents and Dad emigrated to the United States Feb of 1929 the last permanent address for my grandmother and Dad is Hjørring, Denmark but not where in Hjørring.

Anna Kathrina died August 15, 1931 and Magnus died Oct 19, 1948.

I was hoping if I could find them in1925 and again in 1930 I would be able to find my great grandmother’s death record.  And possibly where Magnus lived when he died but being 17 years later, and he was 87 years old, I would not be surprised to find out he had moved from the farm and possibly closer to one or both of his sons in Odder.

If there is further information that might help, let me know and I will see if I have it. I've been doing this  off and on for about 10 years and most information is on my computer but not all and i would have to look through my files. Until last spring, I hadn't had much luck finding my family in Denmark before my my great great grandmother and learning about http://www.sa.dk/ao/ and this forum has been invaluable for locating and getting translations of information I would otherwise have been unable to read.

Michelle

Eva Morfiadakis

Michelle,

You find your great-grandmother's death record in Odder, Aarhus, in 1931 - image 238 (1924-1938)
She died in the County Hospital.
The church book starting 1947 are not yet on-line. They lived in Odder all right.

Eva M
Eva M

Michelle Bie

Thank you, Eva!

I kind of thought that they would have gone where the family was, but I didn't even know where Odder is located and I really haven't had a lot of time for doing online seaches this week. Well at least that mystery is solved.

Do you know if there is a planned time to get the church books for 1947 - online? I can only imagine how much time it takes to prepare the records. Isn't it done by volunteers too?

Thank you for all of your help, not just with this information but for everything else you've helped me with too.

Knowing the Danish language would be so much help, I have picked up a few words over the summer while i had a lot of time to concentrate on finding my family roots but not enough that I can consistently use the information to find more.

Michelle

Eva Morfiadakis

Hi Michelle,

You are up early or you haven't gone to bed yet?

I don't think the preparing of the Danish churchbooks is a volunteer project but is done by Rigsarkivet itself. You have to look now and then on AO. They are coming.

As to the Danish language try to use google translate. I use it when I come across Spanish words. I don't speak a word of Spanish. I have also a key on my computer to the Gothic letters. I think I found it on www.sa.dk

Eva M
Eva M

Bettina Hartmann Bender

Great that you found at least one out of two! Odder and Hjørring is in a small country as Denmark considered to be far apart, but in todays distance by car it's only a couple of hours. I use googlemaps to find the larger cities (see enclosed), and then I have bought an old parrish map of Denmark through this site, to find the smaller ones.

I got to "opslag 29" in FT1930 for Odder, and I found a Hans Löffgren, painter (maler) on opslag 11, line 9. I don't know why it doesn't follow the same format as the rest of the census.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Michelle Bie

Bettina,

I don't understand where you found Hans Löfgren.

This is where I was looking FT1930  Århus, Hads, Odder. I'm confused by what you meant by Opslag 29 and Opslag 11. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

Can you attach a screenprint of the image so I can see what it looks like and find it myself.

Thank you for your help. It is great to be finding this information about my family.

Michelle

Michelle Bie

Eva,

No I hadn't been to bed yet. I think there are 7 hours difference between here and Denmark, so a lot of my posts are done in the middle of the night there but evening here.

I try to use google translate as often as possible, but a lot of the time I have trouble with the old handwriting and what the letters are. I don't know if you looked at the probate post I put up a couple of weeks ago, but to me it looks like when little kids are pretending they know how to write. Most aren't that bad, but still difficult.

I will check back once in while to see if the church books are added. Maybe it was in Sweden that it is Volunteers who copied the church books. I know I read  somewhere the work was done by volunteers.

Michelle

Inger Toudal

Hi Michelle,

You find Maler [painter]. Løffgren Hans, Østerg.[ade] 29 on opslag 11, line 9 in FT-1930 for Odder in Aarhus Amt.

It's a list of persons who did not live in Odder at the time of the census 5 Nov. 1930, but are in the register of taxpayers 1931-32, i.e. Hans moved to Odder after the 1930 census. Maybe his parents moved there at the same time or a little later. There's a remark for all persons on the page: "Senere Tilflytning" [later arrival], which is the reason why they were not listed in the 1930 census. Their income in 1930 is listed as well. The supplementary form [Tillægsskema] starts on opslag 9.

I made a search on Google for  maler + "Hans Løfgren" (maybe that's how Eva got the idea that his parents could be found in Odder?)

http://www.oddernettet.dk/frameset/run_news.asp?RoomID=2&NewsID=5552&MenuID=14&LangRef=1&SplashID=109

- New art collection on its way in Odder. Hans Løfgren is mentioned among the artists.

http://www.e-pages.dk/horsensfolkeblad/469/25

- Advertisement at right hand page bottom: Painting by Hans Løfgren, motif from Odder town.

http://www.nylarsantik.dk/?id=233050&catalogue_selected=209961_12380#209961

Best regards,

Inger T.
Venlig hilsen
Inger Toudal

Michelle Bie

Thank you for the explanation Inger.

The links were interesting too. We have 4 paintings (my cousin has paintings too) and a sculpture done by Hans Løfgren. Three of the paintings and the sculpture were done early in his career. The sculpture is a bust of my Dad when he was about 5 or 6 and there is also a picture of the bust and Hans while he was working on it. My two favorite paintings are of my great grandfather's farm in Hjørring and one of my Dad when he was a little boy.

Michelle

Bettina Hartmann Bender

Hi Michelle,

I can see that Inger already explained everything ;-)

So the only thing I would like to add was that I flipped through the census FT1930 from Opslag 1 until opslag 29 - and then I didn't spend more time on it - but there is still 400 pages more, so maybe more Löfgren's could be found in the census 1930, that's what I meant. Hope this is clearer?

kind regards,
Bettina

Michelle Bie

Hi Bettina

Thanks, I will look further at the Odder census. From the information I have, both of the sons lived in Odder, Hans was the younger of the two, so perhaps Einar was already there in 1930.

Hans traveled as a young man, he was in Canada with my grandparents and I believe he was in the US for a time as well.

Thanks for your help.

Michelle