Lkng 4 Jens & Catherine Petersen, Esbjerg, Jerne sogn, Skast herred, Ribe amt Dk

Startet af Gary Baxter, 27 Aug 2012 - 00:39

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Gary Baxter Dato 30 Aug 2012 - 07:31
I have found two pictures of Jens and Catherine, in jpg format, that my wife had. They are not the greatest.  How do I into this bulletin board.  I am sure it will aid my Danish Researchers in Denmark.

Click on Øvrige funktioner (lower left) then Browse to find and upload your photo, max size 500KB.

(Earlier it was possible to upload two images on same reply, but now it appears only one each reply)

Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Jane C

Good idea about the photos Gary. If the jpgs are high resolution, they might not successfully upload. In that case just resize them to a smaller digital size appropriate to the web. Irfanview is a free, safe, downloadable program that will do that, if you need one.

I worked some more on Hans, son of Jens and Catherine (Ane Kathrine). From the records below, it seems Hans Petersen may have married Marie Wade circa 1926-1927.

1930 (posted earlier)
Brooklyn, Kings, New York
Hans Petersen 23 born in Denmark to USA 1913 Alien, painter (hard to read/painting art teacher?)
Marie Petersen 23 born in New York parents born Irish Free State
Kathleen Petersen 2 born about 1928
Josephine Petersen 1 born about 1929

In 1940 Josephine, age 11, is with Jens and Catherine at 308 23rd Street in Brooklyn (New York, Kings, New York). Around the corner on 22nd Street we find more Petersen children living with a grandfather:

New York, Kings, New York
22nd Street
Nicholas Wade 64 head, born in Ireland
Della Wade 30 daughter, single, born in Brooklyn
James Wade 27, son, born in Brooklyn
Kathaleen Petersen 12 granddaughter, born about 1928 in Brooklyn
James Petersen 8 grandson, born about 1932 in Brooklyn
Eileen Petersen 5 granddaughter, born about 1935 in Brooklyn

Josephine Petersen's birth record could be ordered and would tell her parents names; I am theorizing this would be Hans Petersen and Marie Wade.

If so the children of Hans Winfeldt Petersen may be:

Kathleen b 1928
Josephine b 1929
James b 1932
Eileen b 1935

Hans and Marie may have died by 1940, but there could be other explanations.

Another idea would be to order a copy of a death certificate for this Carl M. Petersen 1912-1975, buried in Suffolk County, New York (the middle initial M is what makes him a "candidate"):

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Petersen&GSiman=1&GScid=1812001&GRid=80949850&

Gary Baxter

I thought I would share information I have received so far, with everyone, in hopes that you can help me further locate my wife's grandparents final resting place and her Danish family roots.  Please feel free to email me directly at garthe@verizon.net.

Gary

Hanne Berny  in a  Friday, August 31, 2012 8:59 AM to me advises:

Jens Residence and Information findings Summarized:

Time
Period   Street
#   Street
Name   Village, Town, City Name   County,
Providence   Comment
1953/54   3   Bavnehøjvej   Esbjerg       
1968               Everybody in DK gets a CPR.NR ( DK version of    US SSN)

Based on the CPR.NR Jens Wife, Catherine Petersen, died before 1968
1970/71   90   Gl.Vardevej   Esbjerg       
May 1972
To
March 1976           Returns to the USA.       It is during this period that he visits Elinor (Petersen) Klein, living in a Nursing home, in the Peekskill, Westchester County, NY area as well as other family members in the Brooklyn & Queens Borough Areas of NYC
March 1976
to
May 1976   32   vesterhavsvej   varde       
May 1976
to
April 7th, 1979   90   Gl.Vardevej   esbjerg       
april 7th 1979   date of death               

Table Information Sources – J.M.L. Petersen Esbjerg City Directory Listings, conversations with Hanne Berry, and Jen's Grand Daughter – [ Christine (Klein) (Foss) Baxter – Gary Baxter's Wife], who was living in Brooklyn, NY and not married at the time.   

In Friday, August 31, 2012 1:26 PM &  2:09 PM emails with Jane Christiansen

I sent her Jane a Photo of Jens and Catherine Petersen as I could not figure out how to post it to this Forum website. The photo was label "Marcus Windfield - Catherine Figaaro Petersen".

Jane advised she was very much interested in it in that the name "Windfield" (Winfeld) was already known to the family in the USA.

She wonders Why Marcus is used. Perhaps Jens may have been called by his middle name Marinus/Marius which was custom of Danes are called by their middle names.

For Catherine she wonders if the "Figaaro" name was a misreading of "Sigaard" due to someone's not-so-great handwriting.

In addition it appears, based on her research of the Wade Family that, Jens and Catherine Petersen (Pedersen)'s eldest son Hans Petersen married Marie Ward and they had the following children :

Kathleen Petersen  born about 1928    She is shown in her Maternal Grandfather, Nicholas
                                                                    Wade's 1940 Household Census with her brother below

James Petersen  born about 1932 in Brooklyn  He is shown in his Maternal Grandfather,
                                                                                 Nicholas Wade's 1940 Household Census with
                                                                                 his sister above

Josephine Petersen born about 1929   She is shown in her Paternal Grandfather Jens Petersens'
                                                                  1940 Household Census while her brother and sister above

The Maternal Grand Parents for Hans and Mare (Wade) children were:

Nicholas Wade 33 born in Ireland (born 14 Aug 1875 per WWI draft card)
Katherine Wade 34 born in Ireland

Their Maternal Aunt was:

Della

Their Maternal Uncle was:

James Wade 3

The Paternal Grand Parents for Hans and Mare (Wade) children were:

Jens Petersen Head of Household 57 born about 1883 in Denmark, painter, paint co.
Catherine (Sigaard) Petersen Wife 55 born about 1855 Denmark

Their Paternal Auntswas
Elinor (Eleanor) (Petersen) Klein – Wife of John Klein

See Census information below provided by Jane Christian
Brooklyn Ward 10, Kings, New York
Marie Wade 2 born in New York
Della E Wade 6 months born in New York

1915 NY state census
Nichola Wade 37
Catherine Wade 36
Mary Wade 8
Kella Wade 6 [= Della]
James Wade 3

Nicklas Wade 43
Kathren Wade 41
Marie Wade 13
Della Wade 10
James Wade 7

1925 NY state census
Brooklyn, New York
Nicholas Wade 45
Catherine Wade 48
James Wade 13
Marie Wade 18
Delia Wade 16

Nicholas Wade 54, widowed, to USA 1901
Della Wade 20
James Wade 17

1930 (posted earlier)
Hans Petersen 23 born in Denmark to USA 1913 Alien, painter (hard to read/painting art teacher?)

22nd Street

308 23rd Street
Jens Petersen Head of Household 57 born about 1883 in Denmark, painter, paint co.
Catherine Petersen Wife 55 born about 1855 Denmark
Eleanor Petersen Daughter 21 born about 1919 New York
Josephine Petersen Granddaughter 11 born 1929 New York

Gary Baxter

I thought I would share information I have received so far, with everyone, in hopes that you can help me further locate my wife's grandparents final resting place and her Danish family roots.  Please feel free to email me directly at garthe@verizon.net.

Gary

Time
Period   Street
#   Street
Providence   Comment

May 1972
To
March 1976           Returns to the USA.       It is during this period that he visits Elinor (Petersen) Klein, living in a Nursing home, in the Peekskill, Westchester County, NY area as well as other family members in the Brooklyn & Queens Borough Areas of NYC
March 1976
to
May 1976
to

Table Information Sources – J.M.L. Petersen Esbjerg City Directory Listings, conversations with Hanne Berry, and Jen's Grand Daughter – [ Christine (Klein) (Foss) Baxter – Gary Baxter's Wife], who was living in Brooklyn, NY and not married at the time.   

I sent her Jane a Photo of Jens and Catherine Petersen as I could not figure out how to post it to this Forum website. The photo was label "Marcus Windfield - Catherine Figaaro Petersen".

Jane advised she was very much interested in it in that the name "Windfield" (Winfeld) was already known to the family in the USA.

She wonders Why Marcus is used. Perhaps Jens may have been called by his middle name Marinus/Marius which was custom of Danes are called by their middle names.

For Catherine she wonders if the "Figaaro" name was a misreading of "Sigaard" due to someone's not-so-great handwriting.

In addition it appears, based on her research of the Wade Family that, Jens and Catherine Petersen (Pedersen)'s eldest son Hans Petersen married Marie Ward and they had the following children :

Kathleen Petersen  born about 1928    She is shown in her Maternal Grandfather, Nicholas

James Petersen  born about 1932 in Brooklyn  He is shown in his Maternal Grandfather,
                                                                                 his sister above

Josephine Petersen born about 1929   She is shown in her Paternal Grandfather Jens Petersens'

Their Maternal Aunt was:

Della

James Wade 3

Their Paternal Auntswas

1915 NY state census
Nichola Wade 37
Catherine Wade 36
Mary Wade 8
Kella Wade 6 [= Della]
James Wade 3

Nicklas Wade 43
Kathren Wade 41
Marie Wade 13
Della Wade 10
James Wade 7

1925 NY state census
Brooklyn, New York
Nicholas Wade 45
Catherine Wade 48
James Wade 13
Marie Wade 18
Delia Wade 16

Della Wade 20
James Wade 17

1930 (posted earlier)

22nd Street

308 23rd Street

Gary Baxter

Gary

Time
Period   Street
#   Street
Providence   Comment

May 1972
To
March 1976
to
May 1976
to

his sister above

Their Maternal Aunt was:

Della

James Wade 3

Their Paternal Auntswas

1915 NY state census
Nichola Wade 37
Catherine Wade 36
Mary Wade 8
Kella Wade 6 [= Della]
James Wade 3

Nicklas Wade 43
Kathren Wade 41
Marie Wade 13
Della Wade 10
James Wade 7

1925 NY state census
Brooklyn, New York
Nicholas Wade 45
Catherine Wade 48
James Wade 13
Marie Wade 18
Delia Wade 16

Della Wade 20
James Wade 17

1930 (posted earlier)

22nd Street

308 23rd Street

Gary Baxter

I thought I would share information I have received so far, with everyone, in hopes that you can help me further locate my wife's grandparents final resting place and her Danish family roots.

It definitely be interesting to find out if can find out if the family he staid with, at Vesterhavsvej, Billum, in 1979. was family and who they were as well as their relationship to him.  Again, because I can not attach the photo of Jens and Catherine to this Forum website, email me directly at garthe@verizon.net and I will email it back to you along with any questions or comments you may have. 

If anyone has photos, copies of birth certificates, death certificates, applications for obtaining them, please email them and/or the weblinks to them. I know Joan Chrisitansen and Hanne Berry will greatly welcome your help as well. 

Gary

Time
Period   Street
#   Street
Providence   Comment

May 1972
To
March 1976
to
May 1976
to

his sister above

Their Maternal Aunt was:

Della

James Wade 3

Their Paternal Auntswas

1915 NY state census
Nichola Wade 37
Catherine Wade 36
Mary Wade 8
Kella Wade 6 [= Della]
James Wade 3

Nicklas Wade 43
Kathren Wade 41
Marie Wade 13
Della Wade 10
James Wade 7

1925 NY state census
Brooklyn, New York
Nicholas Wade 45
Catherine Wade 48
James Wade 13
Marie Wade 18
Delia Wade 16

Della Wade 20
James Wade 17

1930 (posted earlier)

22nd Street

308 23rd Street

Jane C

So Hanne found Jens's date and place of death! And also found much other information about Jens and Catherine in Denmark. What a wonderful gift - all the more so as this information was not found online, but rather by a trip she so kindly made to the archives in Esbjerg. And Gary, thanks for the update. It really helps the forum to be "in the know" on the latest findings. I do want to say though that much of what you just posted had already been posted to the forum. So....thought a summary of what's new might be helpful, so it doesn't get lost amidst all that. I hope you don't mind me posting it:

News from Gary:

* 1953/54 Esbjerg city directory shows Jens Petersen living at 3 Bavnehøjvej in Esbjerg.
* 1968 Everybody in Denmark gets a CPR.NR ( DK version of US SSN). Based on the CPR.NR, Jens's wife, Catherine Petersen, died before 1968.
* 1970/71 City directory shows Jens Petersen living at 90 Gl. Vardevej in Esbjerg.
* The family in USA has talked more about the estimated time of Jens Petersen's late-in-life visit to USA, and REVISED their estimate, to the years 1972-1976.
* May 1976 City directory shows Jens Petersen living at 32 Vesterhavsvej in Varde.
* 07 April 1979 Jens was living at 90 Gl. Vardevej in Esbjerg at the time of his death. (Is that a correct reading of what you wrote?)
* 07 April 1979 Jens Petersen died.

Gary, just now you quoted me as saying Hans Petersen married Marie Wade. No. I do not know whom Hans Petersen married. I think it likely Hans married Marie Wade, based on clues in census records, but I have no proof. One needs a record such as a marriage record. We also need proof of the parentage of the Petersen children living with Nicholas Wade. So this is a task we'd love for the forum to help with  - important that we not imply this task is done. Instead I recommend you specifically request help with that (if you want it). If no one finds the necessary records on Ancestry.com, or on Family Search, etc., then it may be necessary ultimately to order them from the county (Kings County in New York). So that would go onto your "to-do" list. I myself have not found the needed records.

Okay - enough with the critique already. Bottom line is you have made fabulous progress - far beyond what I thought might be possible!

Jesper Skov

Vesterhavsvej 32, Billum was in 1979 owned by Metum Mortensen's widow, Maren.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jane C

Jesper is referring to this Maren:
Jens Petersen's brother Peder Svendsen Pedersen had a daughter Maren Windfeldt Pedersen. Maren married Metum Mortensen in 1891 in Billum.

================================

A little confusion.

Hanne wrote to Gary:
May 1976 Jens Petersen lived at 32 Vesterhavsvej in Varde.

Gary wrote to the forum:
It would be interesting to find out if Jens was staying with family in 1979 on Vesterhavsvej in Billum.

Jesper found Jens's niece owning the house on Vesterhavsvej in Billum.

I'm confused because the date and place don't match Hanne's list - but somehow you know what you're talking about, and I'm fine with that.   ;)

Jesper Skov

Metum Mortensen owned that house since 1931, and Maren sold it in 1981.

Kind regards,

Jesper Skov

Jane C

The creator of this family tree may know who are the children of Maren and Metum Mortensen in Billum:

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=horsboel&id=I3655

Jens Petersen is Maren's uncle.

Gary Baxter

Gary

Time          Street    Street                 Village,
Period      #         Name             Town, City Name   County,  Providence   Comment
1953/54      3         Bavnehøjvej            Esbjerg       
1968                                                                                       Everybody in DK gets
                                                                                                                 a CPR.NR ( DK
                                                                                                                 version of    US SSN)

Based on the
                                                                                                                  CPR.NR Jens Wife,
                                                                                                                   Catherine Petersen,
                                                                                                                   died before 1968
1970/71      90        Gl.Vardevej              Esbjerg   

May 1972
To
March 1976                                             Returns to the USA.       It is during this period
                                                                                                                that he visits Elinor
                                                                                                                (Petersen) Klein, living
                                                                                                                 in a Nursing home, in
                                                                                                                 the Peekskill,
                                                                                                                 Westchester County,
                                                                                                                  NY area as well as
                                                                                                                  other family
                                                                                                                  members in the
                                                                                                                  Brooklyn & Queens
                                                                                                                  Borough Areas of
                                                                                                                  NYC
March 1976
to
May 1976           32   vesterhavsvej        varde   

May 1976
to
April 7th, 1979   90   Gl.Vardevej              esbjerg

his sister above

Their Maternal Aunt was:

Della

James Wade 3

Their Paternal Auntswas

1915 NY state census
Nichola Wade 37
Catherine Wade 36
Mary Wade 8
Kella Wade 6 [= Della]
James Wade 3

Nicklas Wade 43
Kathren Wade 41
Marie Wade 13
Della Wade 10
James Wade 7

1925 NY state census
Brooklyn, New York
Nicholas Wade 45
Catherine Wade 48
James Wade 13
Marie Wade 18
Delia Wade 16

Della Wade 20
James Wade 17

1930 (posted earlier)

22nd Street

308 23rd Street

[/table]

Gary Baxter

I thought I would share information I have received so far, from Hanne Berry and Jane Christiansen, with everyone, in hopes that someone can help me further locate my wife's grandparents final resting place and her Danish family roots. 

I believe Catherine is buried with her parents int he Sigaard Family plot and Jens is probably there with her.

Anyone Please feel free to email me directly at garthe@verizon.net with photos, copies of birth/death certificates, and other important documents. I

Gary

Friday, August 31, 2012 8:59 AM Hanne Berny  writes Gary E Baxter
Subject: Re: jens petersen - Time frame in New York is 1968 to 1973 not 1976 - 1982 as previously advised. 

Hanne advises:

The Esjberg town hall city directory advises for the years

1. 1953/54 Jens M.L. Petersen was living at 3 Bavnehøjvej street, Esjberg

2. From 1972 – 1976 he went to the US . It is It is during this period that he visits Elinor (Petersen)
                                                            Klein, living in a Nursing home, in the Peekskill,
                                                            Westchester County, NY area as well as other family
                                                             members in the Brooklyn & Queens Borough Areas of NYC

3. March 1976 to may  1976 Jens returns and lives at 32, Vesterhavsvej  Billum/Varde

4. From may 1976 to April 7th 1979 Jens is living at 90 Gl Vardevej , Esbjerg. On 4/7/1979, While at
                                                     this address Jens L.L. Petersen dies

The Esbjerg and Varde cemetery offices have no burial record for Jens M.L. Petersen.

Haane is going to check out the Billum cemetery office directories to see if they list Jens and who the family, residing at 90 Gl Vardevej , Esbjerg, Jens was living with, was at the time of Jen's death. Hopefully it was immediate family.

In conversing, through emails, with Jane Christiansen Friday, August 31, 2012 1:26 PM &  2:09 PM   

Jane advised it was very interesting that the name "Windfield" (Winfeld) was already known to the family in the USA.

Kathleen Petersen  born about 1928    She is shown in her Maternal Grandfather, Nicholas

James Petersen  born about 1932 in Brooklyn  He is shown in his Maternal Grandfather,
                                                                   his sister above

Josephine Petersen born about 1929    She is shown in her Paternal Grandfather Jens Petersens'

Their Maternal Aunt was:

Della

James Wade 3

Their Paternal Auntswas

1915 NY state census
Nichola Wade 37
Catherine Wade 36
Mary Wade 8
Kella Wade 6 [= Della]
James Wade 3

Nicklas Wade 43
Kathren Wade 41
Marie Wade 13
Della Wade 10
James Wade 7

1925 NY state census
Brooklyn, New York
Nicholas Wade 45
Catherine Wade 48
James Wade 13
Marie Wade 18
Delia Wade 16

Della Wade 20
James Wade 17

1930 (posted earlier)

22nd Street

308 23rd Street

Gary Baxter

Hi everyone - sorry for the duplication of my recent information,  I am still new at this forum.  I did not realize it posted.  I will be more careful with future postings.

Gary

Jane C

No worries Gary. BTW have you had a chance to look at some of the discoveries that have been posted? I'd love to read a note from you commenting on any/all of them, when/if you have time.  :)

Gary Baxter

Jesper Skov

Jasper:

Regarding the Vesterhavsvej 32, Billum residence

Vesterhavsvej 32, Billum was in 1979 owned by Metum Mortensen's widow, Maren Windfeldt Pedersen, Jens Petersen's niece, Peder Svendsen Pedersen, his brother's daughter.  Maren married Metum Mortensen in 1891 in Billum.

Metum Mortensen bought this house in 1931 and his widow, Maren sold it in 1981.

Hanne Berry is advising me Jens Petersen lived at 32 Vesterhavsvej in Varde. May 1976 to his death in 1979.

Is Maren Windfeldt Pedersen Mortensen is living?  If so what is her current Address?  If Deceased when did she die?  Where is she buried? Who was the Funeral Director? Was there an obituary that may list surviving family members?  If yes could you look up there addresses for me.

With regard to Jens - Hanne advises me that he died April 7th 1979 apparently while living with his niece. If his niece was uneasy about someone dying in her home it makes sense that the house was sold shortly after his death. 

I Know I asked Hanne to check into the following for me but if you could assist him/ we would greatly appreciate it.  Where is Jens buried? Who was the Funeral Director? Was there an obituary that may list surviving family members? We do know one was his Niece Maren Windfeldt Pedersen Mortensen.

If I can locate a living surviving family member, with a mailing/email address, I want to reach out to them.  If you know any of them personally please give them my email address - garthe@verizon.net and ask them to write me directly. I will send them copies of the photos of Jens and Catherine I have to identify and know their US family is trying to reach them.

Your help will make this possible.

Also if you have Joan C's and Hanne B's email addresses please keep them updated.

In Closing I appreciate the great assistance this forum is providing.  The information developed in such a short time is amazing.

Gary & Christine Baxter

Gary Baxter

A summary of recent email correspondence with Hanne (Hannah) Berry and Joan C.

Hanne (Hannah) Berry

regarding your Your recent Monday, September 03, 2012 5:08 PM findings on Jen and Catherine Petersen.

We have no idea what happened to Jens & Ane Kathrine's personal belongings and papers that  is why we are reaching out to family, friends, and researchers like yourself, to help us establish this.

With the Privacy Laws here, in the United States, I understand why you can not obtain Jens CPR.NR and his and Catherine's Death Certificates. If you will be kind enough to send us an application, or the weblink, to order them, my Wife, Christine (Klein), the daughter of Elinor (Petersen) Klein, Jen's and Catherine Petersen's Grand Daughter, will do so since she is direct related family.

You say you know the people who live at Vesterhavsvej 30.  Are they relatives of Jen or were friends of him.  If yes please give them my email address and encourage them to email.  As an aid to you I once again have resent you the pictures of Jens and Catherine.  Please print them and take them with in hope that they will recognize Jens and Catherine. 

I am having great difficulty trying to figure out how to use the two website you provide me so I sent them to Joan Christiansen and asked her to play with them for me.  Also I will make a summary posting of my email to the two of you to the Danish forum in hope that other researchers out there will be able to jump in and help us.

Gary, with regard to you last posting, to Jesper, in this forum I need to correct a couple of points that perhaps I did not express  myself clearly enough when I wrote you:

1. Jens didn't die at Vesterhavsvej 32, in Billum. He died at Gl. Vardevej 90, in Esbjerg
2. Jens stayed at Vesterhavsvej 32, for 1 month after returning from his 4 year ( 1972 – 1976 )
    stay/visit to the US

With regard to the pictures, labeled Marcus. Try saying Jen's name in English would be difficult that's why Marius became Marcus.

Where did you get the idea, that it's/was custom for Danes to be called be their middlename. That is not the case. I can't think of anyone that I know or any of my ancestors that is.

I've posted 2 websites for you.

In the first http://www.dk-gravsten.dk/Ribe-amt.php you can find the graves of Jens + wife, in Billum.

In the next one, http://www.sa.dk/ao/,  you can find all churchrecords and online 1906 to 1930 census reports.

Maren didn't marry Metum in 1891, she married him september 11th. 1920.

You advised that you check the local papers today and there was nothing posted about Jens.

Love
Mrs. Hanne Berny 

Joan:

I am not being lazy no! I am just at a total loss where to begin using the above websites.  Would you, or any other researchers, reading this posting, please go on them and

1) Locate Jens + Catherine's graves in Billum
2) Pull down any census reports, From 1916 to 1930 that show Jen, Catherine, Catherine's Maiden
    Name Family, (Sigaard), Jen's Brother Peder Petersen,and Peter's Daughter.

Please email them directly to me at garthe@verizon.net or post them to this forum in weblinks so that so that I and others can down load them from this forum.

While examining Jens Petersen Draft Registration card, which he himself signed Jens M Pedersen it revealed the following information:

His name was Jens Marius Pedersen
He was living at:  308 23rd St, Brooklyn, Kings County, NY
He was born 8/13/1882 at Varde, Denmark
His wife was: Kathrin Pedersen - also at the above address
He was working for:  Raymond DeGoreing
                              128 W 26th St, New York, New York

With Regard to Hans and Marie (Wade) Petersen my wife and I are ordering their Brooklyn, Kings County Marriage Certificate.  I will make it available when I receive it.  I am confident enough that this is Jen's son and Elinor (Eleanor) (Petersen) Klein's brother.

Attached please find two Abstract forms, (Birth Certificate and a Death Certificate) I created and use when I do research for others.  I am posting them as an aid to everyone.  If you can use them you are welcome to do so.

Thanks!

Gary & Chris Baxter

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Gary Baxter

attached find the birth abstract form I use.

Gary Baxter

Gary Baxter

Gary Baxter

Photo of Ellinor (Eleanor) (Petersen) Klein in 2001- Jens Daughter

Jane C

Hi Gary, How wonderful that Hanne found the graves for Jens and Katherine at the website Gravsteder på Billum Kirkegård. Of course you are not being lazy and I will be glad to help.

Here's a photo of the church:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:08-04-26-c3_Billum_kirke_(Varde).jpg

The trick in finding the graves was to use the spelling Pedersen, not Petersen.

I'm thrilled that you are ordering the marriage certificate for the Hans Petersen that we suspect is the son of Jens and Catherine.

As for arkivalieronline (AO), that is the main database that people in this forum use and they are very very familiar with it. I have no doubt people have searched it on your behalf. If you'd like to try, you'll find English instructions for using AO on the home page of the Find Your Relatives in Denmark forum.

About Danes being called by their middle name  - I am the one who said that is SOMETIMES the case, certainly not always! Both my parents are called by their middle names. My maternal grandmother was called by her middle name. So that's 3 out of 6 of my immediate ancestors. In your case, Ane Kathrine Andersen Sigaard was called Kathrine.

Attached is a photo of the grave marker for Ane Kathrine Andersen Siggaard (Pedersen).

You've put a big smile on my face!

And I have to say it: This forum rocks!

Jane C

Here is Jens's marker, a beautiful stone in a beautiful place. The dates are given Euro style (13 - 8 - 1882 for 13 August 1882).

Jane C

Here are some hints for using the church cemetery website.
Click the link.
http://www.dk-gravsten.dk/Ribe-amt.php

Scroll down to Vester Horne Herred.
Click Billum Kirkegård.
Find the phrase "Søg efter"
Type Jens M. Pedersen in the box.
Click "Find Personen."
You'll see his name/Navn, when he was born/Født, when he died/Død.
Click "Vis gravstenen" to see the photo of his marker.

Same for Ane Kathrine of course.

Gary Baxter

Attention everyone:

I just got off the phone with Jens Peterson's Grandson, Richard Ipsen. He is Agnes (Petersen) Ipsen's son. The Nephew to Hans Petersen and Elinor (Petersen) Klein.

He was able to confirm:

1) Hans Petersen and Marie Wade were married and their children were
        a) Kathleen
        b) James -    Today A Special Forces Green Beret (Married to an Oriental
                            Woman)
        c) Josephine

Marie's Parents were in fact Nicholas and Katherine Wade from Ireland.

This will make ordering Hans and Marie's Marriage certificate much easier time frame wise.

2) Jens Petersen was in the US from 1972 to 1976

3) Billum is the Town that He and Catherine are buried in -
   This is great that we now have pictures of Jens and Catherine's final resting place. Thank you
    Hanne.

4) His mother corresponded with family in Esberg - and GI Vardevej is one of the
   address she corresponded with - His father an Ipsen was from Denmark.

No doubt is was Her Uncle Peder Petersen and Maren.  

He has additional addresses, and even some in Sweden, which he is going to provide me.
   For Hanne she can know that the family she going to visit probably is of the Jens Family Line.

5) Jens was around 96 when he died.  He was very active for a man his age. He was an active man
   who did not look his age. He was very loving and caring.

6) Some family member in the Esjberg area was in a very important political position because a big
   bash was thrown for his birthday every year in honor of it.

More information will follow at a later date.

Again for anyone reading this posting if you are related to Jens or are friends with his family please forward my email to them and ask they contact me.  

Truly Jens and Catherine have finally had a chance to tell their family where they are and how wonderful the family the Petersen  is.

Gary & Chris

Jane C

WOW! Hats off to the two of you!!

:D