Looking for Emil Johnson

Startet af neil collins, 07 Dec 2010 - 07:15

Forrige emne - Næste emne

neil collins

I have used this lst year looking for Niels Peter Jensen my great, great grandfather.

Now I am looking for information on Emil William Johnson.

1900 Census Chicago Illinois he is listed as William Johansen.  Arrived in US 1881, from Denmark, his wife Jennie, (Jennie S Peterson arrived 1888.  This list y grandmother Frances and her sisters and brothers.

With help I found a Wedding in Chicago 1889 Nov. 22, William N. Johnson & Jennie S Petersen.

I have since found information on Jennie in Sweden.

On my grandmothers birth ceterificate it lists her parendt and Jennie Peterson and Emil Wilhem Johnson.

In Chicago deaths I found   Johnson who died in 1907 and obtained a copy of the death cerificate which showed that the individual died in a mental hosital wihtno relatives or information listed.

Jennie Johnson  is listed in in 1910 census in Chicago as head of house hold with my grandmother Frances.   Apparently Emil  (William) died or left the family some time between 1900 and 1910.

Due of the middle initial "N" I am not sure I even found the right wedding.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.  Again that for the help in finding Niels Peter Jensen

Ib Hansen

Hi Neil,

It would help if you tell as a bit more.

A "Vilhelm Emil Johansen" was born 2nd august 1865 in the town of Nykøbing Sjælland, Holbæk county and baptisted 9th october 1865. His parents were watchmaker Johan Ludvig Johansen and Ane Kirstine Madsen.

I do not know if it is the person you are looking for. But I gave it a try.

Many regards
Ib

Homer Ficken

The 1900 census Neil mentions lists William as Johnson, born November 1866 (attached).

Johnson may have been Johansen, but could also have been Jensen or Johanessen.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Eva Morfiadakis

I also saw census 1900 on FS. Born in Nov. 1866. If he arrived in 1881 he was only 14-15 years old. Maybe he came with his family to the US? As Homer F. says Johnson may correspond to a couple of surnames in the Scandinavian languages.

Eva Morfiadakis
Eva M

Ib Hansen

Hi,

Of cause "johnson" can be many familynames in DK. But - I think - not Johnsen. Johnsen was not very common at that time. That is why I asked for more information.

Must logical, the danish familyname would be Johansen/Johannesen.

But - as far as I can se, he came to NY via Germany. It indicates, that he came from the southern part of what is today Denmark.

Even the year - 1891 - indicates this. The Prussian government in Slesvig/Schleswig forced many "danish minded familys" to emigrate to US or Denmark between 1880-1902.

This just for the record.

Many regards
Ib

neil collins

Thanks for your help.

Some additional information I did not include.

1.  His wife died in 1938 in Chicago.  In the death certificate it lists (Jennie Peterson Johnson) husbond to have been William E Johnson.  This information was given by my grandmother Frances Johnson Jensen.

2.  My mother gave me his name as Emil Wilhem Johnson born in Denmark in 1866.

3. It was suggested earlier that Emil (William) may have been a cabin boy on a ship.  I  have not been able to find any confirmation of this idea.

4. This side of the family as far as I know he did  not have any relatives in the states.  No relative ever mentioned.  And it is interesting to note that Jennie did not have any relatives in the states that I am aware of.  I did find, with help, what I believe to be Jennie's family in Sweden.

5.   The mariage certificate and the actual church record that may be Emil & Jennie date Nov 22, 1889, lists a William N. Johansen and Jennie S Petersen both 23 years old.  It is the N. which makes me questions if this is the right Johansen. 

Thanks again for  your help

Neil