Translation please

Startet af Paul Londahl-Smidt, 04 Dec 2010 - 02:07

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Paul Londahl-Smidt

I am trying to help a fellow American trace her Danish/Swedish roots.  Would someone translate the remarks section of the birth and baptism o Edith Valborg Gustafsson Edholm, Vor Frue, Odense, Odense, 18 Feb 1896, opslag 258 nr 12.

Thanks a million.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Ralph Rasmussen

According to the diocesan (stiftamtets) communication of 14 February 1896 the child is not entitled to support (fødehjemstedsret) in ....... [i.e. anywhere in Denmark].

The father was born in Allgatanbäk?, Kronborg? Len in Sweden. (Same place as marriage, my spelling approximate)

According to a certificate from Frederiksborg Birk of 25 March 1904 the family (now) carries the name Edholm.

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Thanks so much Ralph.  Now I have the date when they changed their surname from Gustafsson to Edholm.  I wonder why they changed it?

Med venlig hilsen
Paul

Helmer Christiansen

New Act on Names in 1904. Under the Act once in a lifetime you could change your family name on payment of 4 Kroner. There were several options for getting a new genus name. A name could be granted if the applicant documented that the name had been widely used in the family for several generations or if the applicant had obtained permission from all living bearers of the name. Another option was to choose a new name that had not previously been used in Denmark.

I think the name of the judicial district could be Frederiksberg Birk.

Frederiksberg Birk was surrounded by Copenhagen Municipality, while Frederiksborg Birk was in North Zealand with the seat in the market town of Hillerød .

Helmer Christiansen
2000 F

Paul Londahl-Smidt

Thank you for the very useful information Helmer.

Med venlig hilsen
Paul