Trying to Find Name of Ship My Great Grandparents Traveled to th U.S. on

Startet af Karen Moham, 14 Jul 2012 - 23:51

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Karen Moham

This is a coninuation to my first post as the information was cut off.  I'll continue on with Per/Peter Palmer's possible documentation of his travels to the U.S.

Name:  Palm, Joh.
Destination:  Lake City, Minnesota
Contract No:  616400
Registration date:  11/6/1889
Birth place:  Sverrig
Birth place: ?
Last res. parish:  ?
Last res. county:  Sverige
Last residence:  Sverrig
Destination country:  USA
Destination city:  Lake City
Destination state:  Minnesota
Name of ship:  Indirekte
IDcode:  I8990P3603

I have searched the Castle Garden and Ellis Island websites for their names, but have not found anything.  I also looked at the manifests of arriving ships in Boston, Canada, Baltimore, New Orleasn, and Philadelphia, but didn't find anything. 

The documention is from the Danish emigration records so I'm hoping for assistance in finding the name of the ship, the route, and the date and port of arrival in the U.S.  If you need any further information, please, please contact me.  Thank you.

Karen

Homer Ficken

I also can not find the ship, but Maria may have had a brother that emigrated with them?

Name:  Persson, Johs. Occupation:  Landmand
Contract no.:  615700 Registration date:  11/6/1889
Birth place:  Sverrig Birth place:  ?
Last res. parish:  ? Last res. county:  - Sverige
Last residence:  Sverrig Destination country:  USA
Destination city:  Lake City Destination state:  Minnesota
Name of ship:  Indirekte
IDcode:  I8990P3601

All three are also listed in the Swedish Emigration Records dated 6 Nov 1889, destination Lake City.
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Lisbeth W. Johnson

When you search, try different ways, - don´t be specific about sex, age and nationality and names can vary on shiplists.

Homer Ficken

I believe the attached page is your ancestors, passengers 124-125 on the ship "State of Nebraska" which arrived New York 27 November 1889, misread by Ancestry as "Palin" and Maria listed as Maria Palm, wife.

The Johannes Persson who registered with them is on first page of same manifest, passenger 18.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Homer Ficken Dato 15 Jul 2012 - 15:16
The Johannes Persson who registered with them is on first page of same manifest, passenger 18.

Here is the first page of manifest listing the ship and Johannes Persson:

Karen Moham

Thank you to all who responded!!  You made my day!  I do believe the State of Nebraska is the ship that brought  my great grandparents to the U.S., even though the names are a bit different.  Historically, everything else lines up -- destination, time frame, arrival time.  I have another question -- did the State of Nebraska leave the port of Kopenhamm or did they board the ship in Glasgow as the manifest indicates the port of embarkation was Glasgow.  According to ancestry, they sailed from Glasgow, by way of Larne, Ireland, then to New York.  Thanks again.

Karen

Lissa Pedersen

Homer Ficken

Citat fra: Karen Moham Dato 15 Jul 2012 - 20:26
I have another question -- did the State of Nebraska leave the port of Kopenhamm or did they board the ship in Glasgow as the manifest indicates the port of embarkation was Glasgow.  According to ancestry, they sailed from Glasgow, by way of Larne, Ireland, then to New York.  Thanks again.

Karen

"Indirekte" on the Copenhagen registration meant they were leaving from another port such as Hamburg, Glasgow, Liverpool, etc.

I cropped the page above to reduce size but here is the entire page showing that the last column has been marked "Port of Embarkation" and listing Glasgow for Johan and Maria:

Karen Moham

I've looked on line to try to find the feeder ship that took Per and Maria from Kopenhamm to Glasgow, but haven't had any luck.  The Norway Heritage website doesn't appear to have the feede ship listed -- or maybe I just have not found the ship that left Kopenhamm on or after 6 November 1889.  I also tried to find a Danish ship site that may have provided feeder ships to Glasgow, but no luck.  Any recommendations of other sites that I can look on?  Thank you.

Karen