Trying to Find Name of Ship My Great Grandparents Traveled to the U.S. on

Startet af Karen Moham, 14 Jul 2012 - 23:10

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Karen Moham

My great grandparents, Peter Palmer and Maria Persdotter, immigrated from Sweden to the U.S. traveling on a boat from Kopenhamm in late 1889 or early 1890.

My great grandfather was born as Per Oloffson at Hallsfarm, in Torrlosa, Sweden, on 17 February 1867.  He went into he Swedish army on 4 November 1886 and was discharged on 9 October 1889.  He was a foot soldier number 25 in Reslov Parish of Malmohus province, Onsjo Company of Kongl, North Skanska Infantry Regiment.  Once in the army, Per took the name of Per Palm. 

My great grandmother, Maria Persdotter/Persson, was born at Number 10, Konga Parish, on 29 October 1862.  From records that I have been able to find, she followed Per around during his time in the Army.  They were not yet married.

In the 1893 both Per and Maria were listed as missing (GID 1388.10.12500, Household Examination record, page 484, image 125) and that both were missing some time before that date.  There is also a remark that they might be in America. 

According to Per/Peter's naturalization paperwork, he arrived in the U.S. on 2 December 1889 and took the name of Peter Olsson Palmer.  Unfortunately, the port of arrival is not mentioned, but family legend is that both Per/Peter and Maria arrived in New York.  They were not yet married when they arrived.  They eventually married on 4 April 1890 in Lake City, MN. 

There is documentation that I believe shows both Per/Peter and Maria traveled from Kopenhamm to the U.S.  I'm unsure as to what name he used but I'm sure she used her real name of Maria Persdotter/Persson.  They went indirect so no name of the ship or route they traveled is mentioned.  The information is as follows:

Maria Persdotter/Persson:
Name:  Persson, Maria
Destination:  Lake City, MN
Contract no:  615800
Registration date:  11/6/1889
Birth place:  Sverrig
Birth place:  ?
Last res. parish:  ?
Last res. county:  Sverige
Last residence:  Sverrig
Destination country:  USA
Destination city:  Lake City
Destination state:  Minnesota
Name of ship:  Indirekte
ID Code:  I8990P3602

Per/Peter may be a bit more complicated as there is no document that has yet been found that lists his name.  Rather, there is a document that lists a Joh. Palm (Per/Peter has a brother Johannes), but I think the record is documenation of Per/Peter's travel to the U.S as all the information of destination is correct and there were no other Olsson's, Olofsson's, Palm's, or Palmer's that settled in the Lake City, Minnesota area.  In addition, the ID code is the next number after Maria's.  Information is as follows:

Name:  Palm, Joh.
Destination:  Lake City, Minnesota
Contract No:  616400
Registration date:  11/6/1889
Birth place:  Sverrig
Birth place:  ?
Last res. parish:  ?

Lisbeth W. Johnson

http://www.emiarch.dk/search.php3?l=da
You may try searching Det Danske Udvandrerarkiv or Ancestry.com may have carry the information.
Good luck!

Jane C

A Biography of Peter Olson Palmer in "History of Wabasha County" copyright 1920
http://files.usgwarchives.net/mn/wabasha/bios/popalmer.txt

This bio describes "Peter O. Palmer" as a prosperous citizen of Lake Township. See the link. I'll paraphase some of it here. I think I'm not allowed to copy it verbatim.

Born in Landskrona, Sweden, February 17, 1867, son of Olaf and Elna Pearson Olson.  Enlisted in the Regular Army when he was age 17.  Per military requirement was given a new name, Palmer, and stuck with it in the USA. Honorable discharge at age 21 [circa 1888].
    He then emigrated to America. Future wife and partner Maria came to America on the same boat and at the same time as her husband.       
    Arrived port of New York and went directly to Wabasha County, Minnesota. He had a brother living there, Olaf Olson, who had arrived three years previously.       
    Married in early 1890. Wife Maria was born October 29, 1862. Her parents were Per and Anna Mary Shuberg Swensen of Sweden.
     Peter worked a year in Lake Township. In the spring of 1890 went to Minneapolis. Returned to Lake Township in 1894.  Etc.

This history supports the idea that you may well have found the correct emigration information for Maria and Peter, despite the wierdness of the name Joh. Palm. The destination "Lake City, Minnesota" is remarkably specific and is highly suggestive of the idea that one or both have family or friends there. And apparently they did - Peter's brother.
    There's a little contradiction of facts but that usually happens in biographies written much later.

===========================================

Ole Olson, brother to Peter Olson Palmer, biography in the same book, above:http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mnwabbio/2o.htm

This biography alludes to difficulties in being released from military duty (Ole had to promise to return to Sweden). Perhaps Peter Olson Palmer had similiar difficulties that didn't make it into the history books...?