Aalborg Birth

Startet af Bill Petersen, 01 Dec 2010 - 00:11

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Bill Petersen

Greetings...I have been searching for James (Jens?) Marinus Hansen, born 4 Oct 1879 in Aalborg
I have one by one searched each Parish without results...his family immigrated in 1886.
Other info...gathered from American documents; Anna Marie Larsen was the mother...her parents were; Christensen? Larsen and Mary Leransen?
I know this is not much to go with...but any information or ideas would be appreciated
Mvh,
Bill

Ib Hansen

Dear Bill,

Are you sure about the birth year?

I have found a Jens Marinus Larsen, born 4th October 1878 and baptisted 2oth October 1878 in Svenstrup parish, Ålborg county (Svenstrup 1865-1891, opsl. 23).

The mother is called Ane Larsen.

In 1880 you will find him in the census, living in Sofiendal, Budolfi Landsogn (:the parish), Ålborg county. He is 1 year old and a foster child. His foster mother is the widow Karen Marie Andersen. The owner og the house is the butcher Lars Christian Andersen, a brother of Karen Marie.

Many regards
Ib

Ib Hansen

Hi again,

I also found Jens Marinus Larsen in the census of 1890. He is still living together with Karen Marie (now called: Nielsen) and two of her children. The adress is Kirkegaardsgyden, Ålborg. So know he lives in the town of Ålborg.

Many regards
Ib

Homer Ficken

Bill, if you are certain of the 1886 immigration year, he can not be the one Ab found in 1890 census.  Have you located the specific ship and arrival date, or is 1886 just what is listed in US censuses?   What are names of other family members he came with?
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Ib Hansen

Dear Homer,

As I read it, his family emigrated. Not necessarely himself. If you look at the date, instead og the year, I am quite sure I have found the real Jens Marinus.

But let us hear from Bill.

Many regards
Ib

Bill Petersen

Hi Homer and Ib...
The mother married a ??? Nielsen...after coming to America, they settled in Benton Co. Iowa. Where
Anna's first husband died there...she then married what we believe to be ??? Nielsen's brothjer Carl. On their marriage certificate...it stats that Carls parents were Rasmus Nielsen and Sena Basenfenton.
It states that Anna's parents were Christensen Larsen and Mary Leransen.

On the WW1 Draft reghistration it lists his (Jen's) birth as 4 Oct 1879.
On Jens obit it states that he was 6 year old when his family came to the USA.
On Carl's obit it says he was suirvived by two sons...Raymond and Chris.
On Anna's obit it says that she was survived by tree sons...Jens, Raymond and Chris.
They were both cofirmed in Danmark.
That's all we have. Thanks for your help.
Mvh,
Bill

Homer Ficken

OK, he has to be the James Marinus Nelson, a Veterinarian who registered for the draft 1918 in Keokuk County, Iowa:   In 1900 his family was in Poweshiek County, Iowa (attached).

And if the data listed is correct, he is probably the one Ib found in the 1890 Danish census:

His birth is listed as October 1878 and immigration year as 1890, whereas his mother listed 1882 immigration.

But, he probably would not have traveled alone at age 12, so maybe his foster family immigrated soon after the 1 February 1890 census?

Carl Nelson 45, Annie 38, Sena 8, Lizzie 6, and James Larsen 17 are also in the 1895 state census of  Poweshiek County.

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]
Areas of interest:  Tønder county,  Brede, Daler, and Visby parishes
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=-skow-

Bill Petersen

Thanks Homer...
It does make sense what you and Ib have found.
We will dig into this from that angle and see what happens
Thanks again for your time and effort
Regards,
Bill